50' plasma

Samsung 50C550 is available in Samsung showroom in Forum mall, Koramangala. Had a look at it yesterday. PQ was excellent though the guy quoted a price of 77k without any HT etc and 81k with HT.

Samsung 50C550 is available in Samsung showroom in Forum mall, Koramangala. Had a look at it yesterday. PQ was excellent though the guy quoted a price of 77k without any HT etc and 81k with HT.

Thanks for the info bansal98. I visited the Croma next to the Forum but missed this showroom. I will check it today.

Well i wanted to buy a c550, but it is over priced right now, will wait for a couple of months and then relook at it.

Well i wanted to buy a c550, but it is over priced right now, will wait for a couple of months and then relook at it.

I expect it to reach ~60-62k range during dewali.
That was what happened with B650 which was priced similar last year.

I had a look at this set while i was in the market shopping for a 50" plasma, and only one shop had it, and this thing buzzed like a mosquito, i mean it was a constant peeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnn sound like a mosquito does when it is trying to find treasures inside your ears, and to add to the woes it increased when you cranked up the volume, i wonder why this set hasn't caught that much of an eye, i mean last years samsung B550 was a very good entry level plasma, but on the good side it has an amazing PQ, i didn't see any banding on this set, sound was also good (atleast better than LG), also i think it does not have the cinema smooth option anymore, in the end the price was too much for me, it was quoted for 75K to me and no leg room for any bargaining.

Last edited:
i mean it was a constant peeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnn sound like a mosquito does when it is trying to find treasures inside your ears, and to add to the woes it increased when you cranked up the volume,

You seem to have discovered a new issue with this set because the reported buzz is not from the speakers or anywhere related to speakers. It will not increase with increase with volume. Internationally a buzz is reported (with B550) which increases with white content in the screen and the buzz is audible with muted speakers too but will not increase with volume. And this is first time someone from india has reported this issue in HFV. Are you sure?

but on the good side it has an amazing PQ, i didn't see any banding on this set, sound was also good (atleast better than LG), also i think it does not have the cinema smooth option anymore, in the end the price was too much for me, it was quoted for 75K to me and no leg room for any bargaining.

Are you sure of the sound? Because, the B550 sucked in that department compared to LGs (and panasonics) of yester year. It lacked the USB movie playback too. It was sold for ~70k.

75k is too much for C550 compared to other 2010 plasmas. Did you negotiate?
I think it will settle around <65k and around ~60k during dewali.

Samsung as we know it, may pull the plug on C550 (like they did for B550 last year) to sell their self proclaimed genius "the LED"!
Hope they act sensible this time around.

Last edited:
Well whichever set i demoed i always asked the sales guy to crank up the volume to the fullest be it the 50PK550, or the panasonic one, or this samsung one, and i can surely tell you the buzz was like a mosquito trying to get into my ears, and it increased with volume, i was also surprised at it, and i asked the person about it, and he gave the same old reply, that " yeh toh harek plasma mein milegaa aapko " maybe the peice could have been defective, i mean can't comment on any of that, but yes buzz is still there, i thought they would get rid of it by now.

Also sound wise i found it to be better than my LG display, LG50PK550 sucks in the sound department, so once again this is in comparison to LG, i have to really crank up the volume of my set to get an audible level at a distance of 8 feet, so in sound department LG 50PK550 sucks, but samsung's was better, but the buzz was just plain and simple annoying. Yes i tried to negotiate since LG had given me a cold shoulder reply by saying that "ek bhi paisa kam nhi hoga ", Samsung plaza people told me that they only have this display piece as of now so i will have to buy this only, that was a big NO NO for me.

Now coming to the LED issue

I feel that in India very less people try to acquire some knowledge whereas majority of us are doing the "bhedh chaal", and that is why we get scammed, i mean we can take the example of this forum only, i haven't met a single guy from my city on this forum, and this is the best forum in case of technology related things for India, and i belong to one the best cities of India, so you can well imagine what is the ground reality, i feel like us indians are the most gullible people of all, any jack from the block comes and makes a fool out of us, and that is why these money monger company thief's keep making a fool out of the general public. This is the reason why LED is being pushed so much in the Indian market. And the saddest part of all this is that once someone acquires some knowledge he wants to keep it to himself, so many people have bought TV's after reading and discussing from here, but rarely do any of them stay and help others out, and those who do use this knowledge is either to diss someone or to get into petty arguments to feed one's arrogance.

Last edited:
@all 50" fanboys,

I have finally booked the 50PK550. Though no clear winner between PK550 and C550 is known, I primarily chose the LG for the ~10K savings. (Which will probably go to a HD streamer and a HD DTH). I got it for 62K from Pai International. Thanks Vivek for the deal.
I am told that the TV will be delivered by next Friday.

@Blasto
Special thanks to you for answering many of my queries. And thanks for stopping me from buying a HD Ready(50B450) for 60K a couple of months back. I had almost got it. Now I got a HDTV for the same price :)

Thanks all of you for your excellent suggestions.
What kind of Movies can you play directly thru USB on 50PK550?

What kind of Movies can you play directly thru USB on 50PK550?

Maximum supported resolution:
720x576@25p 720x480@30p

Audio codec supported :
AC3,MPEG,MP3,PCM

Video codec support is based on file extension.
For extensions mpg, mpeg, mpe, vob, dat; codec MPEG1, MPEG2 are supported.
For extensions Avi, DivX, m4v; following codecs are supported : MPEG 4-SP, MPEG4-ASP, DivX 3.xx,DivX 4.xx, DivX 5.xx, DivX 6.xx(Playback), xvid

I have uploaded the manual I got with my 50PK550R in case you are interested :
Download Link

That said the European edition of the same TV can do HD via USB. So if you are adventurous, you may get the feature tweaking the firmware settings. ;)

I got a PM from someone in Pune that he got a quote of 57.4K. Just thought of updating any 50" aspirants here. As I didn't get this quote myself, I didn't update the Price thread.

I got a PM from someone in Pune that he got a quote of 57.4K. Just thought of updating any 50" aspirants here. As I didn't get this quote myself, I didn't update the Price thread.

Wow..57.4k is pretty less......any idea who was it or where did he get it from....
Btw how much did u pay?????

Last edited:
Wow..57.4k is pretty less......any idea who was it or where did he get it from....
You can contact @mehuldil regarding this.
He was looking for 42" PJ series and thats when he got this quote from some Pune dealer.

Btw how much did u pay?????
I had paid 62K. Almost 5K more.

Also compareindia.in.com lists it at ~59K.

Hi Gues,

Since I see this is like a plasma thread. I am getting the 50PK550R for about 54K after using my employee discount (I work in a LG company, not LGE) The problem is the stuff is out of stock (actuallyt, sometimes they hold back stock and sell to employees slow moving models) Is it worthwhile to wait for this TV? and since I live at a rented place, when it comes to shifting, will transporting this TV be a pain?

In dat case, I would say... There is no much difrnce in the price I gt from Vendor..

If you want to buy Plasma Full HD, I would say go for PK550, but as INternal LG employee, you can get the details about How the product is...

Heh! I wish I could do that. But then LG is a like a huge Korean conglomerate ("jaebol") which produces everything from soaps to aircraft components. Its like asking a Tata Salt employee to find out details of the differential used in a Tata Motors truck. But seriously I've got damned interested in the PK550, as its the closest thing to a HD CRT (and CRTS are still the best). As about the prices you get I did put up a question on some other thread, would be interested to know your answer.

its the closest thing to a HD CRT (and CRTS are still the best).

You just spoke of my mind. Last weekend I got an opportunity to get a demo of 50PK550 in Ezone after long waiting. Not a single LG dealer put this on display in my city. I took my WD HD media player along with some movies with different resolution (1080p, 720p, DVD and few home videos from my Canon HG20).
To be frank, I am extremely satisfied with the PQ. The color was very rich and vivid. PQ was actually better than my old CRT 29 inches Philips Pixel+ tv. Now with PK550, similar PQ with big 50 inches screen, I was just bold. I have almost decided to go for this TV very soon.
In fact, I was initially inclined to 50C550/50C450. But when I played those same movies in 50C550, I was disappointed with the contrast and richness of color. Maybe the settings were not right. However it seemed to me that SD content was looked better in C550. Anyway, IMO, 50PK550 with almost 10K lesser price is much more sensible buying proposition, not only from price perspective, but PQ perspective as well.

Only one thing is still ticking in my head... the frustrating experience few owners had from LG service. But still I am not sure how relevant those problems (green pixel/advanced settings etc) are for a normal viewer like me? Existing owners of 50PK550, could you kindly clarify on this. I saw Dotmac has clarified in number of posts. But still would like to hear from other owners as well. Is it a wise decision to choose this TV?
- I am very impressed with the PQ
- Will be watching primarily movies, also would buy a HD DTH connection
- How reliable is the set? Somehow I got an impression that purchasing plasma requires also a good luck!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back