50' plasma

So, the C550 was installed about an hour ago. Firstly, no buzzing! Haven't had the chance to play around with the settings as parents are watching a movie. At a glance, SD (Tata Sky) looks better than my G10.

Now is the time I should say "Well I said so".. ;) :rolleyes:
More will follow.. :)

Considering 42" G10 and 50" C550, both 1080p, fall in the same price bracket, C550 is tremenderous value if you have the viewing distance.

Awaiting a good comparison in a week or so. :clapping:

Considering 42" G10 and 50" C550, both 1080p, fall in the same price bracket, C550 is tremenderous value if you have the viewing distance.
I totally agree with you that the 50" C550 is a tremendous value, specially when compared to the 42G20. But I do disagree with you on the 'viewing distance' aspect. The fact is, that as per human 'visual acuity', a distance of even 6-7 feet is more than enough, for a 50" TV. In fact the maximum distance for ideal viewing of a 50" TV is no more than 9-10 feet.

I totally agree with you that the 50" C550 is a tremendous value, specially when compared to the 42G20. But I do disagree with you on the 'viewing distance' aspect. The fact is, that as per human 'visual acuity', a distance of even 6-7 feet is more than enough, for a 50" TV. In fact the maximum distance for ideal viewing of a 50" TV is no more than 9-10 feet.

I have heard others tell this too..
It should be only me then.. :rolleyes:

Anyways people, have this viewing distance stuff in back of your mind while demoing.. You 'might' be my kind.. ;)

@ gadgetcrazy - Thanks mate.

@ BLASTO - I went for the 550 w/o a demo partly because of your posts. So, THANK YOU!!

This is a tremendous VFM proposition. Except the PK550, all 50"s are above or around the 100k mark. Heck, even the 42G10 costs nearly as much as this one.

Currently I'm running the break-in slides from the Xtreamer. Yes, TIR is there. But, thankfully no buzzing yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A special thanks to fellow Calcutta member ShuvC. He had advised me to wait last year when I was about to pull the trigger on the S10.

Congrats on your new Samsung 50C550 plasma! I guess many of us here are eagerly waiting for a direct comparison between the LG 50PK550 and the Samsung 50C550 as they cost around the same.

Do keep posting back here with your feedback on the tv. As for the demo part though, I definitely can't convince myself to buy a plasma model without a demo! And that too, for upwards of 60k!

TIR - I guess this is a standard thing on most new plasmas. I read the Panasonic V20 plasma review from AVForums.com and even there it was mentioned that the V20 had TIR. But the good thing is that the IR is temporary. After playing some good full screen 16:9 content (like movies in 1.85:1 ratio), the ghost images / logos go away.

---Venkat

Congrats on your new Samsung 50C550 plasma! I guess many of us here are eagerly waiting for a direct comparison between the LG 50PK550 and the Samsung 50C550 as they cost around the same.

Do keep posting back here with your feedback on the tv. As for the demo part though, I definitely can't convince myself to buy a plasma model without a demo! And that too, for upwards of 60k!

TIR - I guess this is a standard thing on most new plasmas. I read the Panasonic V20 plasma review from AVForums.com and even there it was mentioned that the V20 had TIR. But the good thing is that the IR is temporary. After playing some good full screen 16:9 content (like movies in 1.85:1 ratio), the ghost images / logos go away.

---Venkat

TIRs mostly go away as the TV become 1, 2 months old.
The reviews are also done on new TVs.
Give it some time to settle down.

Update - No buzzing, yet. Fingers crossed. Black levels are pretty impressive but, not better than the G10 IMO. Colors are natural, even the flesh tones.

Understand from a dealer that Samsung will formally launch its Plasma range on 15th June along with some promotional offer. So keeping my finger crossed for lucrative discount as well.

You were right about the launch and Samsung site has been updated with 50C550 model. Any news about possible discount ;)
The price is still hanging around 70K.

Samsung 2010 plasma not in display

I visited some electronics shops today to inquire about Samsung 2010 plasma. I am looking for the 50C6500/50C550 model. I came to know that 6500 will be available in September. But I could not find any 550 models on display though they had this in their warehouse. The dealers said they could only give me the price of the desired model. I called some dealers including the Samsung showroom (Adishwar). Surprisingly none of them have it on display.
Finally I visited the Adishwar showroom that opened today. They have lined up entire Samsung led/lcd models but not single samsung plasma. When i inquired they recommended me to go for led/lcd. But they agreed to bring one tomorrow saying the shop was inaugurated today and they did not have enough space keep other models.

Looking at this situation I am wondering what will happen 2 years down the line. They may stop selling it. We may not find any replacement if something goes wrong with the TV.

though Adishwar opened today, I was expecting to close few deals today itself with them. They are not allowing to bargain much. It was disappointing for me when I realized that they are not focusing much on Panasonic.

though Adishwar opened today, I was expecting to close few deals today itself with them. They are not allowing to bargain much. It was disappointing for me when I realized that they are not focusing much on Panasonic.
Which panasonic model were you hunting for. Adishwar I went only for demo. Pai/Girias are shops you get the best deals.

@all 50" fanboys,

I have finally booked the 50PK550. Though no clear winner between PK550 and C550 is known, I primarily chose the LG for the ~10K savings. (Which will probably go to a HD streamer and a HD DTH). I got it for 62K from Pai International. Thanks Vivek for the deal.
I am told that the TV will be delivered by next Friday.

@Blasto
Special thanks to you for answering many of my queries. And thanks for stopping me from buying a HD Ready(50B450) for 60K a couple of months back. I had almost got it. Now I got a HDTV for the same price :)

Thanks all of you for your excellent suggestions.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back