55 In TV Purchase

himeshj

Hi guys,

I need to buy a 55 in TV by Sunday. My requirements are as follows:

1. Budget is 1.5L can stretch to 2 if there is a compelling reason.
  2. Would like a Smart TV but not absolutely essential.
  3. Mostly for Cable and movies.
  4. Not interested in 3 D really. Think it's a passing fad, who wants to wear glasses while watching TV?? No offense to 3D aficionados :lol:
  5. Using an LG 50PQ70 plasma for the last 4 yrs and quite satisfied with it on the whole.
  6. Would like a thin panel for a change which looks good in the drawing room:eek: This is from the wife!
  7. Am Ok with LCD/LED/Plasma as long as I get great PQ and full HD.
  8. Concerned about reflections as there's a full length window right opposite where I want to place the panel.

Would really appreciate suggestions and prices. Also are Vijay Sales/Kohinoor type places better than Croma? I got a fabulous deal from Croma last time but things may have changed since.

Thanks, guys.

Pana 60S60 plasma is the best that suits your requirement (I have yet to see any of the 2013 models in showrooms).

If you insist on a LED then you can look at 55W950 from Sony. Really very good with the best colour pallete along with brightness a LED can offer. Though it might be a tad over 2 lac, but you can try to negotiate to around 2.1 lacs or so. Otherwise the Samy top 8 or 9 series also really good, but except for the 60S60, all others are with 3D.

BTW, some of the movies and documentaries can be occasionally be seen on 3D. For example, the IMAX series, few animation movies like Tintin etc. I heard that even Life of PI is better with the 3D version as it is made for that. But anyway, it is an evolving technology, it might succeed or it might fade, that time will tell. But it's not a bad idea to be on the safer side and hence have the 3D option. Smart features can be easily added to a TV with additional gadgets so not necessary, but in the mid to high range TVs, it comes as default.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. Very tempting to go for a 60 in plasma. Been using LG 50PQ70 for the last 4 years and like it a lot but the placement for my new TV will result in a lot of reflections (opposite a floor to ceiling window) so have decided to go the LED way.

Went to Croma yesterday and auditioned LG 55LA6900. Any feedback on this panel? Would love to hear from actual users on this forum. Also looked at 55W800 and felt that the PQ of Sony was slightly better especially facial tones and contrast as well as blacks, but then I'm not a videophile! Browsing experience on LG was smoother and quicker, agin to my untrained eye. Would appreciate some feedback on which is the better set.

Thanks guys.

Also looked at 55W800 and felt that the PQ of Sony was slightly better especially facial tones and contrast as well as blacks, but then I'm not a videophile! Browsing experience on LG was smoother and quicker, agin to my untrained eye. Would appreciate some feedback on which is the better set.

I don't know about the LG. But I own the same Sony and am happy with it. As you say, the 3D is gimmicky and all the Smart TV nonsense is functionally even worse. However the picture quality rocks. Even the sound is surprisingly decent although I pipe everything through a HT.

As for reflections, I'm in the same boat as you are with a huge window directly opposite the telly. I can tell you that irrespective of what you have read, the Sony LED panel is very reflective. While the reflection is diffused, I have had to purchase a blind to completely black out the light from the window while viewing it. The TV is literally unusable without it.

If you have the real estate go for a bigger panel. The extra size is truly worth it.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back