7.1 speakers for Onkyo NR-609 in NCR

rahulbhargava

Hi all,

I am in process of setting up my HT, starting with an Onkyo NR-609. Might not be the most preferred way to setting up an HT but this is how it started for me.

Now I have started looking at speakers in the following sequence - Front (FS preferred), Centre, Sub, Surround, Rear

I have a 46" LED, Tata Sky, DVD (HD) and Wii attached. Would also be utilizing online streaming.

Constraints:
- My budget is INR 70 k. Can't go beyond. If purpose is solved in lesser, all the better for me
- Room size is 18x15x12 cu ft. I have space for FS front, but can go for BS too if required. Surround and rear would be on walls. The room is dedicated to HT so no other issues
- Usage is 60 % movies (HD, sci-fi largely), 20% music (Classical, Bollywood, light rock), rest split between TV and gaming

After having gone through similar queries by other members and prelim auditioning, I zeroed in on following options (still open - all fronts are FS, but am open for BS):

1. Sonodyne (2605 v3 x 2 + C2401 + R-ears v3 x 4 + Roarr 210) - open for 2504 too.
2. Wharfdale Obsidian 600
3. Polk (TSi300 x 2 + CS20 + PSW 110) + Wharfdale Vardus Surround x 4
4. Polk (TSx 440T x 2, TSx 150 C, PSW 110) - can't complete the setup in this case due to budget

I am yet to take my amp for the real audition (second round).

I have the following queries:

1. In my budget and for the usage preferences, are there other options that I should consider? I am okay to mix and match but would prefer to keep the Front and centre of the same brand. Rear and surround are my last priority and I think I can go for even cheaper options if they exist

I know that the final choice would depend on what pleases my ear (and wallet :) )

2. In NCR (close to Gurgaon if possible), what are the options for audition and eventual purchase at a good price for the above models and if you suggest other brand, then for that? I know that for Sonodyne, I need to go to Okhala

3. Any FM who has any of the above config in NCR and would allow me to visit? Also, any FM who would be interested in coming along for auditions at the store?

4. Any deals/offers (I have seen the group buy section) for the above, that you would recommend? Am also exploring the combination of Amazon + MyUS.com

In case the above is exactly similar to any previous post, please do direct me to that thread and excuse me for ignorance. I did search to the extent possible before posting the above.

Thank you in advance.

Rahul

Guys,

Any suggestions to any of the queries?
Are there Delhi - NCR based FM who can guide me?

In case repetitive pls point me to the other thread if possible...

Thanks

Rohit,

Thanks for responding.

I had gone to that shop today (and earlier too). Elac goes out of my budget (1 lac plus). How much did you spend on 5.1 speakers (excl 616 cost)? Whats the scope for discount at that shop?
Did you also look at other options for speakers?

For my budget, he recommended Polk TSx 330T FS, PSW110 and matching centre. These would cost me Rs. 56k without discount. I couldnt audition these as they are yet to arrive.

Also went to another set up at Ghitorni. Took my 609 and did audition for RTi A7 and then Wharfedale 10.5
Liked both but they overshoot my budget grossly.he mentioned that TSx for Polk would arrive in first week of August.

Now I am looking at Sonodyne, polk TSx 330t and wharfedale obsidian 600 as serious options in my budget.

Rahul

Got the whole package ( with receiver) for 1.25 l incl cables
Talk to Mr Bhupesh Harjai. He is a nice man.
Elacs are very neural sounding with excellent finish.
Polk TSI 300+ CS10+ SW110 +TSI 100 are also good and worth the price . I heard them with denon avr 1713. they might sound a bit bright with onkyo avr

Last edited:
I can help you in discounts on both avr n speakers, Bhupesh is a friend of mine. Even from other HT showrooms ...pm me once you fiinalized your requirement

I would request you to also take a look at Jamo S-426 package (Rs27,700.00) and a Velodyne Impact subwoofer. It will be a great package.

Usage is 60 % movies (HD, sci-fi largely), 20% music (Classical, Bollywood, light rock), rest split between TV and gaming
Rahul

For a HT purpose, you don't need big FS..... Because in the AVR you have crossover for all channels.. Anything less then 80Hz can be directed towards your subwoofer...

So i guess your Max budget is 70K... Very good budget...

Take a look @ Sonodyne Avnt series rather than Sonus range... I have had the pleasure of Home demo both Sonus / Avant products...

Sonodyne Avant has far superior performance than Sonus.... It can outperform the sonus as it is specifically built for movies...

You may consider Avant BS 150 x 4 pieces (for Front L ,R & Surround L & R) & Avant LCR250 center speaker... (5.0 speaker for approx 50K)..

For the remaining 20K + if you could extend your budget over a period of time, you may consider 2 subwoofers if you AVR has 2 subwoofer pre-outs....

For a HT purpose, you don't need big FS..... Because in the AVR you have crossover for all channels.. Anything less then 80Hz can be directed towards your subwoofer...

So i guess your Max budget is 70K... Very good budget...

Take a look @ Sonodyne Avnt series rather than Sonus range... I have had the pleasure of Home demo both Sonus / Avant products...

Sonodyne Avant has far superior performance than Sonus.... It can outperform the sonus as it is specifically built for movies...

You may consider Avant BS 150 x 4 pieces (for Front L ,R & Surround L & R) & Avant LCR250 center speaker... (5.0 speaker for approx 50K)..

For the remaining 20K + if you could extend your budget over a period of time, you may consider 2 subwoofers if you AVR has 2 subwoofer pre-outs....

Thanks Elangoas!

I went for Sonodyne audition. There is one exclusive dealer in NCR, Rythm Corner, South ex. Unfortunately, Avant series is not available for demo. I did listen to Sonus 5.1 config and felt quite happy with that :)

If I go for Avant, I can get but no demo. I guess that is a no for me in that case.

Now for Sonodyne, he mentioned 5.1 at 64.5k. This includes 2605v3 pair, 2401c, R-ear dipole pair and Roarr 210. Prices are about to increase as per him.
I am inclining towards this rather than wait for TSx series of Polk.

Believe this config is similar to yours so I should not be too wrong :)
Plus, I quite liked the overall punch that Sonus has.

Rahul

hi guys,
Wondering if the TSx series polk speakers are available now in india and the approximate price for them ?

. Is it worth considering TSx over TSi ?

HG

Back