70s and 80s in India....

Nice thread!

Add to the mix TV serials like Ramayan & Mahabaratha, the hi tech stuff like Giant Robot & Star Trek, and cartoons like Donald Duck, Tom & Jerry, He-man! Sundays in my childhood were pure bliss at least till they start the feature movie;)

Also, back in my days, for watching non-feature movies, one had to rent a VCR and the cassettes!

Hmm, good old days:)

Hai king,

You forgot "Here is Lucy, The Different strokes and Yes Minister".

N.Murali

Also, back in my days, for watching non-feature movies, one had to rent a VCR and the cassettes!
Have many naughty memories from my teens watching stuff with friends;).

And how can one forget, good old "Eak chidiya anek chidiya" ....
.............Ek Thithili anek Thithiliyan

Giant Robot & Star Trek
Wow Giant Robot was my Hero. I used to wear my school bag while watching it hoping I would fly like Giant Robot:lol:.

I used to watch Nukkad regularly...remember Khopdi, Guru eh?

Karamchand, Mungeri Lal ke Haseen Sapney were a favourite.

Movies were played every Saturday and Sunday with award winning movies every Sunday(?) afternoon. I used to hope it would be a language I could understand.

No Video games, only games on streets including top, marbles, kite-flying etc. Todays kids definitely will miss all of that:(.

Man!! You guys really got me nostalgic.

If we have a meet, we should watch one of these serials together again, recording or something :)

Cheers

+1 to all those memories shared by the others, in addition:

How 'bout didi's comedy show??? the guy was a riot!!! :D Other great transtel serials such as 'old fox', 'derrick'....
then 'Top of the pops', 'Hot Tracks'..... so many more which I cannot remember off hand.... those were truly good 'ol days.... life was simple back in the day... (sounding like a really old man eh?) :rolleyes:

+1 to all those memories shared by the others, in addition:

How 'bout didi' s comedy show??? the guy was a riot!!! :D Other great transtel serials such as 'old fox', 'derrick'....
then 'Top of the pops', 'Hot Tracks'..... so many more which I cannot remember off hand.... those were truly good 'ol days.... life was simple back in the day... (sounding like a really old man eh?) :rolleyes:

+1 To that

Anyone has Didis comedy Showon any medium?
BTW I have Flop Show
Also I want Eekta Ka Vriksha,,,
( We had a drunken recital of EEkta Ka Vriksha and EEk Titli ( Remix Version) in one of our college outings!!)

I am born ion 80s, and know half of the things mentioned, Didnt u guys saw the dyanora tv ever? all my relatives had the same model.

And spiderman, super mario bros, ugh, not much in 80s was good. i envy 70s children.

born and grown up in delhi I still remember

1. listening to sarab sanjhi gurbani sponsored by texla tv..the famous gurbani relayed every morning @ 6:30 AM "koi bole ram ram, koi khudaye" while getting ready for school

2. then there was sangam : program of songs on vividh bharti ( radio ) from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM

3. tv programs relayed without advertisments

4. then suddenly advertisments became a part of tv..looked nice during the first few months.

5. delhi roads free of cars and seemed more wide than they r today..

6. i still remember our late PM smt Indira Gandhi wizzing past our locality in her car with the speed of not more than 60 KM an hour waving to the people gathered on the road side.no fear of terrorism..

7. those very harsh winters of delhi and ladies sitting outside their houses in the afternoon basking the hot sun and weaving sweaters for their children & husbands.

8.pocket transistors glued to ears listening live cricket commentries with names such as kapil dev,sunil gawaskar,chetan chauhan,kirmani,malcom marshal,joel garner ( 7 foot giant with his bat barely touching the ground when he used to bat )

9) bodyline bowling by the England team

10) watching english movies @ either priya or chanakya cinemas in delhi..only theatres which used to show english movies

11) only vimal & liril ad on tv

12) postman was a common sight on the road

13) trip to the local post office every alternate day to buy envelops,post cards,stamps etc

14) Kwality ice cream without "walls"

15) campa cola instead of coca cola..although coca cola was available during the begining of 70s

16) school bags made of aluminium or iron instead of backpacks.

17) Bush tape recorder advertisment with dancing lights (LEDs) with music of Lipps Inc.

18) pure first class coaches in the train ( without A.C. )

19) Osibisa musical group tour of India

20) injection syringes made of glass and doctors used the same needle for injecting multiple people after boiling..no fear of AIDS.

21) mole stories, barba papa cartoons on tv.....

I still remember using my Panasonic NV-G10 VCR to watch movies and it use to cost Rs 20/- on rental from video libraries.The quality was awful and one has to clean the head drum several times as the cinema progresses..........where was blu ray then.......but really enjoyed it and now with blu ray, may be I have lost patience I dont like sitting in one place to watch a full length movie !!

Have many naughty memories from my teens watching stuff with friends;).

When I got to my teens, I already had a friend who could afford a state of the art Intel Pentium processor based PC, hence our naughty nights were mainly on VCDs;) Infact, many new friendships were formed thanks to his PC, for he had the only PC among many of us of similar age group in our area - of course not only for the naughty nights, but for learning computing and our first glimpse into the world of video gaming via doom and then quake:)

No Video games, only games on streets including top, marbles, kite-flying etc. Todays kids definitely will miss all of that:(.

I think about this many a times. When we were young, the only form of (healthy) entertainment was going out and playing with other kids in the streets. It helped a lot in getting healthy, developing social skills et al. Now thanks to globalization and progress, our kids are less likely to get involved such social & healthy outdoor activities at any age:(

Last edited:
I still remember using my Panasonic NV-G10 VCR to watch movies and it use to cost Rs 20/- on rental from video libraries.The quality was awful and one has to clean the head drum several times as the cinema progresses..........where was blu ray then.......but really enjoyed it and now with blu ray, may be I have lost patience I dont like sitting in one place to watch a full length movie !!

NV-G10 Was the CULT VCR ...My dream one ( we never afforded VCP or VCR)
Your VCR had that cardboard Sticker which can be raised?

To go a bit more retro.........people used to actually rent the VCR (Old VCRs with the size of an AVR with top loading system. G10 was still front loading) and the TV itself ..... with the entire package coming on the Rickshaw ... lol ......Couple of families had to pool for the same. The entire day was kept for such an activity with 3,4 movies at a stretch.....

To go a bit more retro.........people used to actually rent the VCR (Old VCRs with the size of an AVR with top loading system. G10 was still front loading) and the TV itself ..... with the entire package coming on the Rickshaw ... lol ......Couple of families had to pool for the same. The entire day was kept for such an activity with 3,4 movies at a stretch.....

Ya absolutly right..I was also a victim of getting a package on a cycle rickshaw...

Enjoy.......
YouTube - Indian 80's to 90's Tv Commercials Ads Part -2
....... wait

cwln297l.jpg
:lol:

Thats right we also rented few top loading VCRs before getting the G10.Looking at our interest of watching movies without any break my father had no other option left but to purchase it........:lol::lol::lol:

Back