70s and 80s in India....

Good one , I subscribe each and every one form the list ...........i (rather we,,al other family members included) used to do all that is in the list...........Thanks for bringing me back those forgotten days .......a treasure ......

I also remember........

RASANA soft drink ad which ends with "I Love you Rasana'

Also booking a long distance call at nearby local post office , and there was a facility to book with P to P person to Person facility (call used to materialize only when the designated person is available at the receiving end!) we used it as a miss call (modern day equivalent) many a time!!!!

Eating Chinese food was an IN thing those days and Fried Rice was a novelty!

There were plenty of Road side shop used to rent a bicycle on a platy sum of Rs 1 per hour!!

Holding a current issue of 'INDIA TODAY' used to put into elite group!

.................... down with the memory lane.......

Last edited:
Can anybody remember the name of a transtel cartoon in old doordarshan where a little mice drop down from sky using an umbrella and then fall into various trouble. I am not able to recollect the name. Anybody here ?

very true Ash.....As i m 69 born so I can easily understand all the things u just shared. Actually it was a golden time and will be in one's sweet memories

Watching tv was funny..Running up to the terrace to tweak the antenna,while your brother shouted from downstairs when to stop turning it :lol:

Running your LP records in a different speed to hear it go super fast and squeaky(and get thrashed by your brother for doin so!!!) :D

Love the quotes from other posters here :"Getting the package by rickshaw",
"The metal square box for carrying books"..Can you imagine asking our kids to do so..I am sure it will be a safety hazard!! :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for the memories.

Those were the good old days which will never ever come back. People had lot of time for their family which is very much missing in today's era. Everyone has become materialistic and just running behind it. Today's kids are missing so much in their life but we never care.

In hot summer days nothing can replace the satisfaction which you get from glass of water from mud pot or surahi. Doordarshan serials like Bharath ek Khoj, Surabhi, Malgudi days etc. cannot be compare with the junk serials of today.

So much of importance were given to all the festivals. Today festival is just one day off from the work. I wish I could go back to those old day's of 60's and 70's.

manjari joshi (sahay)
tejeshwar singh (english)

J.V Raman
Shammi Narang
Ved Prakash
Sarala Maheshwari
Mukta
How can anyone forget Show theme,Phool khile hai gulshan gulshan,I even used to watch Krishi darshn on 7:30 PM,few good short films of Films Division Presents and above all "Rukavat ke liye khed hai":D(Sorry for the interruption).Good old days.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi sachu,

Doordarshan, used to telecast on bandh days and during times of cyclone, American & European Science films on topics like Space Missions, Environment pollution, etc interspersed with news of the cyclone status which was very informative. Meanwhile Mom would serve piping hot bajji and vada, which would disappear from the plates more sooner than they appeared. :licklips:

Also music videos of Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie etc were very popular. :yahoo:

Miss them all.

N.Murali

Who can forget the days of counting of votes during general elections, there used to be round-the-clock telecast of hindi movies punctuated with the coverage of election news and election specials.

The Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie videos generally used to appear during the Pre-Grammy show and the Grammy awards recording which Doordarshan used to show once in a year, same with the Oscar awards.

More often, they used to show Musikladen shows from the West German TV Station, Transtel in the very early 1980s and by the end of the 80s, they brought on a Eurodance program called Eurotops which was also very popular.

I still remember the very first new year's eve programme in 1982 (in colour), it was called Hungama'82. It was standard for DD to telecast a program showing a recap of events during the year, before the new year special program. I think it used to be called "Images", I remember the 1982 edition, Images'82.

Hi sachu,

Doordarshan, used to telecast on bandh days and during times of cyclone, American & European Science films on topics like Space Missions, Environment pollution, etc interspersed with news of the cyclone status which was very informative. Meanwhile Mom would serve piping hot bajji and vada, which would disappear from the plates more sooner than they appeared. :licklips:

Also music videos of Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie etc were very popular. :yahoo:

Miss them all.

N.Murali

Can anybody remember the name of a transtel cartoon in old doordarshan where a little mice drop down from sky using an umbrella and then fall into various trouble. I am not able to recollect the name. Anybody here ?

I distinctly remember 2 very early cartoons on DD (this was before the 1982 Asian games, when Insat 1A was launched, and before it burnt up). The first was named "The History Of Man" and the second was "Baba-Pappa". Also distinctly remember Jamie and the Magic Torch (used to run at 9:30am on Sundays, starting the Sunday morning programming) and Giant Robot (used to run on Saturday evenings). Also remember the Mickey & Donald show on Sunday morning. Spiderman used to run on Sunday evenings at 5:15pm, prior to the 5:30pm movie.

For those interested in cricket, there was "the Sunil Gavaskar show" the Bodyline (on Sundays) and World of Sport on Sundays...

Great memories.

NV-G10 Was the CULT VCR ...My dream one ( we never afforded VCP or VCR)
Your VCR had that cardboard Sticker which can be raised?

we had a el-cheapo VCP (even by the standards in those days) called Funai at home for watching rental VHS cassettes, awful quality.

In modern times, when I started out with NAD equipment, my reasearch told me that it was this Funai company in Taiwan which assembled the legendary NAD 3020 which is one of the all-time greats.

Recently when I went to my wife's hometown and was helping cleaning the loft, we came across a National VCR dumped away (a rat had made it its home) which brought back those video cassette memories.

Hai king,

You forgot "Here is Lucy, The Different strokes and Yes Minister".

N.Murali

I think it was "The Lucy Show"

There was also Yes Prime Minister

Anyone remembers Didi's Comedy Show?

Anyone remembers "Some Mothers Do Have em" with Frank Spencer?

Anyone remembers "Telematch" from Transtel?

The Star Trek - with famous characters like Captain Kirk, Dr McCoy, Mr Spock ( wierd eared guy!!!) and their space ship - Starship Enterprise!!!

I am from eastern part of the country(WB) and those days catching feed from Bangladesh was a craze like anything. People need to get an VHF antenna and a booster to catch the feed.

The craze was fully justified as Bangladesh used to show hollywood movies uninterrupted on daily basis. Also they used to air shows from BBC (if I recall correctly).

awesome thread...but being born in the mid 80's not much to share here...other than playing with neighbour kids,watching tv at their place,staying together with cousins at granny's place during festivals and bursting crackers starting early morning,sunday morning watching he-man & mahabharatha and then running off to play are fond memories ...got to hostel life by age 6 so didnt get much to watch but had loads of friends always!......having folks who are surgeons aint that much fun lol!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back