8K TV – everything you need to know

heliumflight

Honestly, at normal viewing distance and with normal TV sizes, even 1080p and 4k is indistinguishable let alone 8k. What makes 4k better is not its resolution but the other goodies like hdr, wcg.
Infact 1080p strikes a perfect balance between the viewing angle and resolution. 4k should be the upper cap for video resolution for TVs and in my opinion, manufacturers should focus on implementing 10/12 bit panel more cheaply than pushing 8k.

Is it practical, will everything we own become obsolete one day or just learn to enjoy with one's got? Simple living & high thinking

Not even half of the regional content channels are offered in HD (1080i).. To get all channels in HD, we would need to wait for atleast few more years.. Now 4K is strictly streaming, and for that we need high speed fibernet, which i think apart from cities. no one else has access to.. And 8K.. Hmm

Anyways, am more than happy with FHD content and would stick to it until the 4K fall under my expected budget..

Why do folks keep saying 4K from 1080p is indistinguishable?

Yesterday watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in 4K but had to switch to another app that was 1080p only. The difference was clearly obvious even to my non-videophile wife who opted to go back to Fire TV 4K Stick as soon as the episode was over.

Why do folks keep saying 4K from 1080p is indistinguishable?

Yesterday watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in 4K but had to switch to another app that was 1080p only. The difference was clearly obvious even to my non-videophile wife who opted to go back to Fire TV 4K Stick as soon as the episode was over.
I didn’t say it is indistinguishable. But for majority of users with 50 inch or 55 inch TV with a viewing distance of, say10 feet, I don’t think 4k and 1080p are distingushable. Calculations says that a person has to sit about 4.5-6 feet infront of a 65 inch screen to fully resolve 4k resolution. Besides, a 50 inch 4k runs at around 80 ppi and honestly, I cannot resolve that pixel density at 6 feet, let alone at 10 feet. Please correct me if I’m wrong, sir.

That said, the quality of content matters too. Some say high bitrate 720p is better than 1080i and high bitrate 1080p is better than low bitrate 4k. And many movies even today are 2k. If I’m not wrong, even normal Imax is 2k and with pixel shifting they achieve a tad less than 3k. May be you would have seen a better content in prime videos or perhaps a hdr content. What is your display size and viewing distance?

I didn’t say it is indistinguishable.

But you did.
Honestly, at normal viewing distance and with normal TV sizes, even 1080p and 4k is indistinguishable let alone 8k.
Quality depends on a lot of factors like resolution, FPS, HDR, bitrate, etc. And for the same resolution (or higher) we have bit rates from 1 Mb/s and 10 Mb/s to 40 Mb/s, 60 Mb/s, and even 80 Mb/s, even for the same movie.

720p is 1 million pixels, 1080p is 2 million pixels, and 4K is 8 million pixels. 8K is 33 million pixels.

Folks telling they cannot make out a difference between 2 and 8 millions pixles will however note the difference between 1 and 2 million pixels when everything else is the same? How is that possible?

Just watch any sports on OTT at 720p. Cricket on Sony Liv is terrible at 720p. When a person can see this, how can they not see a difference between 1080p and 4K?

I know I can.

But you did.

Please read again. I told, "Honestly, at normal viewing distance and with normal TV sizes, even 1080p and 4k is indistinguishable let alone 8k."
Quality depends on a lot of factors like resolution, FPS, HDR, bitrate, etc. And for the same resolution (or higher) we have bit rates from 1 Mb/s and 10 Mb/s to 40 Mb/s, 60 Mb/s, and even 80 Mb/s, even for the same movie.

720p is 1 million pixels, 1080p is 2 million pixels, and 4K is 8 million pixels. 8K is 33 million pixels.

Folks telling they cannot make out a difference between 2 and 8 millions pixles will however note the difference between 1 and 2 million pixels when everything else is the same? How is that possible?

Just watch any sports on OTT at 720p. Cricket on Sony Liv is terrible at 720p. When a person can see this, how can they not see a difference between 1080p and 4K?

I know I can.
Happy that you can see the difference between 1080p and 4k.
Still, I would say, the difference you have seen is probably the wcg, better brightness and contrast and better processing. If you notice closely, most of the 32 inch TVs are 720p. If people can make out the difference from a normal viewing distance, it would have been 1080p. It's funny that people cannot make out the difference between 1Million and 2 milion pixels in a 32 inch tv but can make out the difference in a TV of less than twice the size with 8x more pixels.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back