A good Home Theater for 70K Budget

jagadeeshwarank

Hi Everyone,

I have been combing this forum for my home theater requirements and with lot of different requirements posted across, I felt better to create a new thread for myself :) . It all started few years back when I decided to buy a HTIB(Yamaha I guess) and started saving in small with a budget of 40k.
Last year I went for audition along with my friend who had a huge budget. After listening through the demo setups I made up my mind to increase my budget and get a better one than the Yamaha HTIB.
A few months back one of my neighbor set up a HT with Denon and Monitor Audio Bronze(Floor standing + Center) and Monitor Sub(w10 i guess) with Denon receiver. I really liked the setup except for the surrounds(not Monitor) which were setup in ceiling. Cost was around 1.5L.

I will start with my current setup,
  • I live in a rented Apartment so no dedicated Home Theater room.
  • I have a very basic setup with my Sony Bravia 40'' with FireTV Stick.
  • USB in TV support h.264 video codec and DTS, Dolby audio (Compressed formats)
  • TV has HDMI ARC
  • TV is connected to Creative Inspire 2.1 sourced from my now Obsolete PC (https://www.cnet.com/products/creative-inspire-2-1-2500-speaker-system-for-pc/)
  • Mostly watch movies, series through Streaming, occasionally through USB.
  • Would prefer a setup thats good with Movies and a better than current setup Music :)
This works good enough, except the voice wouldn't be clear in few videos.

I have been eyeing this Wharfedele combo by hifimart (https://www.hifimart.com/package-de...non-av-receiver-5-1-home-theatre-package.html).
So here is my dilemma
  • Should I get the above combo and be at peace with the surround setup?(Not yet auditioned those speakers.)
  • Or to start with a 3.0 or 3.1 with the current budget and add the surround later.
Another general question since it will be hard to place floor standers in my current apartment.
  • Floor standers vs Bookshelf? How different will those be?
As you would have noticed I don't have any AV receiver so a good AV receiver is required as well. I am located in Chennai, so where can I audition the above said Wharfedele HTIB?

Budget can be slightly adjusted based on my liking to the setup :)

Note: I have attached a pic of my current setup

Thanks,
Jagadeesh

Attachments

• IMG_20190601_211958.jpg
    IMG_20190601_211958.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 125
As a starting point, the package is a good one and sure to satisfy your needs. You could look at Marantz 1508 receiver also at similar price.

In your room I don't think there is any room or even need for floor standers. The package mentioned above consists of satellites. You do have room for bookshelves. So you could start with a pair of bookshelves and a good sub for now. This setup will be a huge improvement over your current setup and you could also finish it over time.

As a starting point, the package is a good one and sure to satisfy your needs. You could look at Marantz 1508 receiver also at similar price.

In your room I don't think there is any room or even need for floor standers. The package mentioned above consists of satellites. You do have room for bookshelves. So you could start with a pair of bookshelves and a good sub for now. This setup will be a huge improvement over your current setup and you could also finish it over time.

Hi ,

Thanks for your inputs, so your suggestion is for 3.1 setup.
Is it possible to get a bookshelf, center , sub and avr I this budget?
Some suggestions to start with will be good.

Thanks,
Jagadeesh

A few months back one of my neighbor set up a HT with Denon and Monitor Audio Bronze(Floor standing + Center) and Monitor Sub(w10 i guess) with Denon receiver. I really liked the setup except for the surrounds(not Monitor) which were setup in ceiling. Cost was around 1.5L.

You can equally do good for less, just need to be make better choices :)..

Or to start with a 3.0 or 3.1 with the current budget and add the surround later.

These would be a better choice IMO, than the package you have listed.. You may consider at-least 10 inch sub-woofer to do the duty for bass..

Floor standers vs Bookshelf? How different will those be?

If you will have sub-woofer in your set-up, then you can safely skip the Floor stander and settle for bookshelf..

Note: I have attached a pic of my current setup

Do you have an option to swap sides of your room?.. I mean to space the L-C-R speakers little more for better feel.. How big (or) small is your room ?..

I suggested for 2.1 for now.
It's doable
1. AVR Marantz NR 1508 - 34k
2. Book shelves- Pioneeer SPBS22 15k, Wharfedale 220-18k
3. Subwoofer Elac debut S10 -30k

If you are keeping yourself limited to 5.1 set (Dolby Tr HD/ DTS MA lossless format ) and book shelf speakers setup than it's better to go for pre-owned components than entry level new units. Within your limited budget, you will get very good pre-owned HT set up from this forum which you can enjoy for longer time than frequent up-gread of entry level set. Raise your requirement request in wanted section and observe the response. There are lot more quality components available with FM lying down idle. Recently one of the FM listed his very good KEF iq5 on sale with reasonable price tag. You can take advantage of this forum to build great HT system within the limited budget with at least 40-50 % discount price and not more than 3 yrs old components.

If you will have sub-woofer in your set-up, then you can safely skip the Floor stander and settle for bookshelf..
I have a dilemma here after looking at suggestions from @dr_rocket . 2.1 or 3.0 ( But I would complete it to have 3.1 in a year or so). Anyways I feel floorstanders - a no for me.
Went through a lot of reviews for Wharfedale 220 and 225, decided to audition them,may be this weekend. Suggestions on where to audition, in Chennai?
I got an offer with Yamaha 479 AVR through dm.. guess 3 years old. Price not negotiated yet. How does this fare against the Marantz suggested above?
Do you have an option to swap sides of your room?.. I mean to space the L-C-R speakers little more for better feel.. How big (or) small is your room ?..
Hmm.. I don't think that will be possible in the living room. I am attaching a slightly larger pic to get an idea . I am not sure if I can place a bookshelf on the right side brown boxes(approx 24inch height and 18 inch width) in the current setup.

Another possibility is set it up in the Master bedroom, but not much fan of moving television to Bedroom. Also attaching the room plan image(Not so good quality but you will get the idea of the room sizes)

Attachments

• Room Plan.jpg
    Room Plan.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20190918_211133.jpg
    IMG_20190918_211133.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 66
I have a dilemma here after looking at suggestions from @dr_rocket . 2.1 or 3.0 ( But I would complete it to have 3.1 in a year or so). Anyways I feel floorstanders - a no for me.

Great.. No point cramping speakers where it isn't ideal..

Went through a lot of reviews for Wharfedale 220 and 225, decided to audition them,may be this weekend. Suggestions on where to audition, in Chennai?

Grand Cinema, Kodambakkam.. I had Wharfedale diamond 9.2, almost a decade back which i got it from them.. You may check there..

I got an offer with Yamaha 479 AVR through dm.. guess 3 years old. Price not negotiated yet. How does this fare against the Marantz suggested above?

Depends on what you are looking for in AVR, with bluetooth & wi-fi capability.. easy to stream from mobile to AVR..

Hmm.. I don't think that will be possible in the living room. I am attaching a slightly larger pic to get an idea .

Not a problem.. The idea was to check if you can accomodate in a space, where there is some free space..

I am not sure if I can place a bookshelf on the right side brown boxes(approx 24inch height and 18 inch width) in the current setup.

Yes you can.. Check the L x W x H of the box, before you buy speakers..

Another possibility is set it up in the Master bedroom, but not much fan of moving television to Bedroom. Also attaching the room plan image(Not so good quality but you will get the idea of the room sizes)

If it works for you in the living room, then just fine..

Hi,

Its been a tiring week at office hence didn't add much on the progress.

I have auditioned Wharfedale 220 at Volumate in a stereo setup( I liked what I heard :)). Owner was not there when I went to check the speakers.

Later I had a word with him. He suggested to go for bookshelf + sub. But he insisted that I should go for 2 subs. But I feel its really hard for me to place them in my current setup. He also informed me that he doesn't have 220 and might no longer be available and suggested to look at Wharfedale 320. I am yet to meet him in person to have a look at 320's and make a decision on purchase.
I have got overwhelming response to the post I had in the forum's wanted section and I am to have a look at few of them personally before making a decision there as well. And I missed a sweet set of speakers by a day :rolleyes:.

I do see 220's still available in hifimart, so still planning to go with the same. But wanted to see 320 as well. So if not 220's what other options can I look at?

Can I go with 1 sub-woofer and still get a good movie experience?

Thanks,
Jagadeesh

Hi,

Its been a tiring week at office hence didn't add much on the progress.

I have auditioned Wharfedale 220 at Volumate in a stereo setup( I liked what I heard :)). Owner was not there when I went to check the speakers.

Later I had a word with him. He suggested to go for bookshelf + sub. But he insisted that I should go for 2 subs. But I feel its really hard for me to place them in my current setup. He also informed me that he doesn't have 220 and might no longer be available and suggested to look at Wharfedale 320. I am yet to meet him in person to have a look at 320's and make a decision on purchase.
I have got overwhelming response to the post I had in the forum's wanted section and I am to have a look at few of them personally before making a decision there as well. And I missed a sweet set of speakers by a day :rolleyes:.

I do see 220's still available in hifimart, so still planning to go with the same. But wanted to see 320 as well. So if not 220's what other options can I look at?

Can I go with 1 sub-woofer and still get a good movie experience?

Thanks,
Jagadeesh

Hi bro...
If you liked what you heard of 220, you can certainly go with it.
As per me, you have to decide on some things before you finalise.
1. Speaker location. Ideally the tweater of the speaker should be approximately at the listening level (ear level). I wouldn't recommend placing the speaker inside the black shelf on the right side. Also, the depth of the shelf needs to be sufficient for the speaker depth too including the binary post and wires. Inside shelf, you also need to decide on taking wire from your AVR to the speaker (drilling may be required if holes are not present at the back or side of shelf. I would recommend placing the speakers on the white shelf itself with both speakers front face aligned with the front edge of your white shelf. This will place your speakers in front of your TV and will help in stereo imaging.
2. Centre speaker location. I think unless you wall mount your TV, there isn't a good location for your centre speakers.
3. AVR location. Again, if you are not wall mounting, there is limited space on the top of white shelf and you need to explore locating it inside glass shelf. If you do, check if holes are there for wiring and power cable to pass through.
4. Future upgrade. You need to decide whether you would be upgrading to immersive sound, however since you are in rented flat, I assume this would not be in your consideration. Also, this would considerably increase your budget, starting with AVR.

I started my journey from 2.0, then 2.1, then 4.1, then 5.1, then 5.2, then 5.2.2 and finally 5.4.1.

Invest on good speakers, as it is the last thing, which will require a upgrade.

Looking at your budget, I would recommend the following: wharfedale diamond 220, wharfedale WH D10 subwoofer and marantz NR 1508 AVR. This should sound pretty amazing. Since you would be upgrading from a creative 2.1 setup, any upgrade you do will be a substantial upgrade to your sound quality.

You can also consider only getting the wharfedale diamond 225. This speaker sound pretty amazing and you can listen to it even without a sub for a start and later save money and include a subwoofer.

In terms of subwoofer, start with 1, since your budget is limited. It will be more than enough at the beginning. Dual subs has its advantages, but I think, for you, even 1 sub is a substantial upgrade. For subs you can also consider BIC America f12 subs.

You can also look for mission range of speakers in similar budget, but personally I would prefer wharfedale.

Hope, my post would be of some help to you..

Its been a month of hunting, discussions with FMs over private chats, getting to know few of them through whatsapp, support from my wife by extending budget and of-course few sleepless nights(choices, choices :p). I have finally went with Marantz 5013(Sourced from Singapore ;)) and Dali zensor 3, zensor vokal and zensor1(67k for all speakers)).
I am really pleased with the output and enjoying movies and music almost equally. For now I am holding back the purchase of sub-woofer.
Many a thanks to @elangoas, @dr_rocket, @sijusid and @Love4sound . Its been a pleasure knowing each one of you.
Attaching just my front setup.

Attachments

• Front setup.png
    Front setup.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 73
This works good enough, except the voice wouldn't be clear in few videos.
In my opinion, you will get even less "clear" voice if you upgrade. To get the most intelligible voices, the bass has to be really low or the room should be acoustically treated so that the bass does not get amplified. If you get better speakers, without treating your room, you will have even more difficult time understanding what people are saying. So, don't go in for an upgrade looking for better intelligibility of voice. You will get much better quality and "authentic" voice, but that does not mean, it will be easier to understand. You will get much better intelligibility of voice from laptop speakers, because they have practically no bass. Moreover, if your surround speakers are good, they are going to drown out the voice of the center speaker even more.

This is my personal observation. May be I am completely off base here. But, I don't feel that better speakers increase the intelligibility of understanding sound. If anything, they reduce it because they increase the bass (to what was intended by the content creator) which makes it difficult to understand speech.

Although, I would any day trade a little intelligibility for better and more authentic sound.

Saw it late...towers would have been better choice than adding sub. Anyway congratulations!
I would suggest get the surrounds first and sub last.
Surrounds would be more useful and tangible difference.

Each speakers has its own importance & plays their Role, one Can have make shift temporary arrangements to tide over, personally I love to have subs.

@codwapeace agreed the room makes great difference. But here I do have options to increase center channel volume and that does a add a good value along with the authenticity of sound.
@headcase right now I have 5.0 and the surrounds do make a difference.
@Smo agreed. Each has its own role. I can feel the lack of Sub already, but that's what it is for now. Till I save up for sub, I can live with current setup. Happy with the choices made so far.
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.:)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back