A question on fans on AVR for cooling

Probably a dumb question, will a laptop cooling pad suck the air out efficiently(?), if we place it upside down on top of the avr? I asked the same question to @amrutmhatre90 as well 😬 . Found you both are using cooling pad to cool the avr
Yes . it depends on environment too...I use my AVR in under an Open Rack in a dedicated AC Room . Still my AVR runs hot if Laptop cooling fan is not switched on.
My Cooling fan is from Cooler Master 3 fan type ,which is sufficient enough to suck out the heat from AVR.
Hope it clarifies your doubt.

Never blow air into a cabinet. Been there, done that. It will get very dusty. Always pull air out of it. Cold air from outside will find a way in.

Yes . it depends on environment too...I use my AVR in under an Open Rack in a dedicated AC Room . Still my AVR runs hot if Laptop cooling fan is not switched on.
My Cooling fan is from Cooler Master 3 fan type ,which is sufficient enough to suck out the heat from AVR.
Hope it clarifies your doubt.
How do you power your laptop fan?

Heat rises up. If you're going to put a fan to push air into the receiver, that is going to make matters worse for the sensitive electronics inside an AV receiver or any AV gear for that matter. The amplifier section should be the least of your worries. Class AB amplifiers run hot and can take a fair amount of abuse before they pack up. Its usually the processing/de coder board that has a tendency to fail. These usually sit right at the top. Anything you put in front of this will block ventilation. Unless you are cramming your AV receiver into a Hi Fi rack or something similar, you are not at a risk of anything failing. If you have maintained recommended ventilation clearance around the receiver as the manufacturer has indicated in the manual, you are safe. Do note that many higher end receivers come with built in active cooling. You don't want another fan coming in the way of this.

Personally; I am not a fan of using the ever popular laptop cooler for an AV receiver. They usually have one central or dual fans that are usually centered. When you place them over the receiver, they come in the way of the circuit boards that are placed right at the top and towards the back of the ventilation slots. If you must use a laptop cooler that pushes air out, lift the receiver and place below the unit.

More than heat, moisture and dust accumulation are the main problems. An environment that isn't dry is not great. Constant hot-cold cycling is also a problem. While you may be comforted in the thought of your air conditioned room keeping things nice and cold, the moment you turn it off, thats going to lead to condensation build up on anything that dissipates a lot of heat. Feel free to use one. Don't place your gear under a direct draft of the aircon.

Personally; I am not a fan of using the ever popular laptop cooler for an AV receiver. They usually have one central or dual fans that are usually centered. When you place them over the receiver, they come in the way of the circuit boards that are placed right at the top and towards the back of the ventilation slots.
Good point.

A laptop cooler with five fans (four on the edges and one in the center) like the one I linked appears to work better than the single/two fan ones to keep the HDMI and related processing section right at the back of the AVR nice and cool. At the end of a four hour run, I've noticed that the AVR case in the centre is warm to the touch (being cooled by the larger and slower fan) while the AVR case at the back and front are cool since that's where the smaller higher speed fans are. Without the cooling pad and after a four hour run, the entire case of my AVR is hot to the touch even though it sits right out in the open and is not enclosed at all.

On a separate but related note, the SR8015 has some internal cooling fans in the center. This post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...marantz-sr8015-review-home-theater-avr.24005/ at the famous/infamous ASR forum states that the fans don't appear to turn on during typical usage.

The picture is the guts of the SR8015 where the fans are visible. Peeking through the top of the SR6015 I can see that it too has similar fans.

Attachments

• SR8015-amp-section-fans.jpg
    SR8015-amp-section-fans.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 3
I bought this https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00B3RZ298/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for 1560/- During April 1st week, as my AVR (1600H) runs very hot esp. when I kept the volume at -10 db. From that point, even after 4 - 5 hrs continuous playback, AVR runs cool. Since, most of the Laptop cooling pad has LEDs (don't know why they run LED), I had searched for a while and got this. Initially, I was almost decided to buy he AC infinity S6/S7 model. Then, I placed my existing laptop cooling pad on top of the AVR and tried one day and amazed by the results. So, I dropped the AC infinity idea and purchased this cooling pad. Happy with the purchase!

HEAT is the biggest enemy of Electronics if it is not properly ventilated.Let it be AVR or Stereo/Integrated Amp.

I am not discussing about water heater/ warmer / toaster /OTG which are meant for heating purpose :)

Yes.
in AVR there are chances of HDMI board failure if it is not properly ventilated.

Dedicated Stereo amps/ IA /Poweramp have properly designed heatsink for amplifier section. Other than amp section there won't be much heat dissipation inside the enclosure may be slightly from powersupply section. Even AVR has heatsink in amplifier section but not for other modules (eg- HDMI section,power supply section ).
AVR - It is cramped with lot of components inside a small enclosure and it does lot of things.
Yes there are compromise in Heatsink thickness /size /design in basic model AVR.
Compared to Non HDMI model AVR ,HDMI model has highest failure rate due to complicated design and above mentioned factors.

There are cooling fans inside AVR in mid/highend models ,and it is placed near power Amp section that too available only on few models /brands.

Earlier days there was a myth ,that everone would have come across looking for spike buster/ buying spike buster for their TV to avoid spare part failure due lightning which cost 25rs.Why cant Tv company provide this spike buster as standard part of Tv!? Similar to stabilizer market !!!

Coming to your query

Why they are not giving as standard ? - If there is no spare part failure.No business from the old AVR unit .. simple

Hope u got the right info.

External Fan is necessary to minimize the chance of hdmi board failure.

PS - I own and run 2 MARANTZ AVRs Under Aircom
infinity T9.
it keeps the AVR Cool.:cool:
From where did you buy the ac infinity cooler? I found some in amazon but the cost is 3x

On a related note, i had bought a fan for ps4 cooling but hardly use it. Can it be used here as a cheaper alternative heat sync device. Like something is better than nothing thing. Also the vents are blocked by the fan. So it is to be deployed around the holes and not directly above it right?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back