A Rs.99990/- Music System from LG !

Rupam

Lg has launched flagship model CM9730 music system which claims to have 2300W RMS output power. If its true this will be one of the most powerful consumer music system.

xmedium.jpg

mediumCM9730.jpg

Dimensions (WXHXD)mm

Main
Front Speaker

542x310x421
520x720x500

Output

RMS
PMPO

2300W RMS
25000W

Interface

Portable In
USB
FM
AUX IN
Disc
Karaoke Mic Jack

Convenience

Bluetooth
USB Recording
MP3P battery charging by USB
MP3/WMA ID3 Tag Display

Playbility Formats

Disc Type

CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3CD, WMA CD

Display

Display Mode
Level Meter
Demo

Sound

User EQ
Cluster2 EQ
By-Pass
Pop
Classic
Rock
Jazz
Auto EQ
Arabic
Afro Hip-hop
Persian
Natural EQ
Loudness
Bass Blast
MP3 Optimizer
Auto DJ
Juke box
DJ Effect
Smart DJ

LG is marketing it as a party music system not as a audiophile product. Has anyone auditioned it? I find the price very high.

LG X Boom CM9730 Video Review | Tech2

In the late 90s and early last decade, there was a huge surge in the sales of mini/midi systems in India. The market was swamped with products from Sony, Aiwa, Philips, Samsung, LG component systems. They started around 15k back then and went up to 50k (INR). And their power, as advertised, (hold your breath) was in the range of 2000 to 10000 watts PMPO. 10000 watts. Yes. That was an LG product as well IIRC.

Some of those systems were good (for non-audiophile kind of people). Some Sony and Aiwa models produced some real distortion free chest thumping bass and crisp smooth highs when played normally. Unfortunately, the crowd buying them was mostly party animal type, which knew only one way of listening to music. All the knobs turned all the way to the right. That is full bass, full treble, full volume. Needless to say, they got much less from their systems that they were actually capable of. Consequently that product line got associated with mediocrity, despite that even before that there were companies that had excellent sounding mini / midi system. Specially from likes of Onkyo, Aiwa, Sansui etc.

The best sounding mini system I heard was 3 years ago at a showroom in China. I couldn't believe the sound. An absolutely distortion free, non-fatiguing, pristine cohesive from top to bottom sound. As if it was a single driver full range driver playing. Sweet deal at around INR 40k. I would have bought one instantly if I needed one.

That was the past. Nowadays these products are targeted at people who would be playing a 25 buck CD with 150 songs on it. Needless to say, for that market these are nice products.

You see, at the end of the day, everything that is produced, has a target market segment. Products such as the above are NOT targeted at audiophile.

Beautifully, eloquently and precisely summed up Rajneetrain.
Those mini/midi systems were born to be misunderstood, as very truthfully some (only some, not all) actually could produce beautiful music if handled with care.

As for this LG, for me the verdict is passed even before listening to it. Sorry if I am biased, but something that looks so aggressively 'loud' is not for my taste. I will be very happy to be proven wrong though.

Good note by Ranjeet, I've heard of 5000 watt combo systems and TVs with 2000 watt audio stages in the 1990s. My BPL 700TM Symphony Series Speakers were rated at 700 watts (per channel) on advertising and on hoardings with Big-B's endorsement (he was the BPL brand ambassador in those days), however somewhere in the user manual in small print, they did mention 40 watts RMS (per channel)

I completely agree with ranjeetrain. I still have Panasonic SC-PM 141 which is not a powerhouse but a refined consumer audio product which had very smooth sound - crisp bass and sweet trebles. Mids were very clear but lacked some body. But with original CDs it was worth the price. ( bought in 2003 @ 17000/-)

Here is a video of the same model but not mine > PANASONIC sc pm 11 - YouTube

DOes it have the usual-for-these-things CD autochanger? Yet another generation failing to learn that, when it jams in a couple of years time (or 13 months if it is a one-year warranty) the whole thing has to be thrown out?

There is more to separates than just hifi sound --- but it is so hard to convince people.

I have seen its ad in today's newspaper, is has an icon of "SMART DJ" and a slogan (tag line) "THE MOST POWERFUL SOUND SYSTEM".

DOes it have the usual-for-these-things CD autochanger? Yet another generation failing to learn that, when it jams in a couple of years time (or 13 months if it is a one-year warranty) the whole thing has to be thrown out?

There is more to separates than just hifi sound --- but it is so hard to convince people.

I don't know about LG but my Panasonic has 5 CD changer. But never faced any problem, still working flawlessly. Panasonic always built quality products, all our old AV gear is Panasonic.

The speakers have rear bass ports and the cabinet is made of wood with steel rings around speakers to minimize vibrations. What is love about this little machine is that, the sound stage is very large with a lot of headroom and good instruments separation. I can turn the volume all the way up without any distortion.

It has this auto-reverse cassette mechanism.

I still love it, won't ever sell it even for MRP/- !

With grills on >
3ea673d29bf50af648be06341bb30edb.jpg

rear ports
img4599jpgc.jpg

Last edited:
I agree about Panasonic quality generally. I used to like Aiwa products too. Without mentioning any particular make, though, which I can't even remember, over the years I have seen many all-in-ones of this kind dying section by section.

we have a panasonic sa ak188 prologic model - 400 watt rms and an aiwa nsx-333 model. the panasonic is 12 years old and still runs like new. We all still like the system so much that we keep it covered and clean it regularly. It still looks quite new.

Though I ruined the amp section of the older aiwa, i still use the speakers with a topping amp at my bachelor room.

true that panasonic makes good quality products, our 15 year old vcr still runs like a dream although we don't even bother to switch it on for months sometimes. these mini systems used to fascinate both of us brothers and we used to hang out at showrooms to check out the newer models. They had their own charm.

Some of those systems were good (for non-audiophile kind of people). Some Sony and Aiwa models produced some real distortion free chest thumping bass and crisp smooth highs when played normally. .
+1 to that.I remember Sony has controled & thicker Bass with crisp treble.Aiwa has good Thump with sweet treble.

hi all,
in the film Vishwaroop(am), the first song shows a music system from LG.Anyone noticed?

regards
girish.

The best sounding mini system I heard was 3 years ago at a showroom in China. I couldn't believe the sound. An absolutely distortion free, non-fatiguing, pristine cohesive from top to bottom sound. As if it was a single driver full range driver playing. Sweet deal at around INR 40k. I would have bought one instantly if I needed one.

I recall some fancy high-end stuff you posted in that china thread, but dont recall a budget setup pictured there ... 40k is a great price ... mind enlightening the crowd with model and product name?

--G0bble

I had a BPL Worldspace mini boombox that had paper cone single driver (3" or so) speakers with wooden cabinets (rear ported). Nothing fancy, and the bass was non-existent. I later took out the speakers when Worldspace went bust and ran it with a Topping TP20 Tripath chip amp.

What I remember about this extreme budget system was that the vocals and mid-range was absolutely divine! It sounded a lot better than many of the entry level hifi speakers I have heard.

I also heard Omega speakers which is in a different league of course, but these two speakers made me realize why people feel so passionately about single driver (coherent point source) wideband speakers. There is so much magic in it, especially vocals and instrumentals, and even half decent budget speakers sound really really good.

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

Last edited:
thanks rupam, when i watched movie, i was thinking about that av receiver. Did a search among yamaha, denon,...,but no luck. then did a picture search. It was
LG AR805TS Digital AV Receiver System.
regards,
girish

I recall some fancy high-end stuff you posted in that china thread, but dont recall a budget setup pictured there ... 40k is a great price ... mind enlightening the crowd with model and product name?

--G0bble

I can't recall the exact model number as I wasn't keen on buying one. But I remember it was a Sansui. If I go that way again, I will get more details.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back