Require suggestions on buying a powerfull music system for home use

arunbpanikker

Hi All,

This is my first post in hifivision.

Had recently been to the YAMAHA showroom in Cochin, searching for a decent music system(No video) for home purpose.

Expectations.

1.)Require a decently powerfull system. Have been using the Mini HIFI systems like SONY MHC - GX 2000 (2000 watts PMPO).
2.)Sweet enough and powerfull sound reporduction even in low sound volume.

Just checked out the AX-497 integrated amp(Rs 25000). As per them the speaker suggested was NS 8390 (14000/pair). Is there any other compatible speakers which would match my requirement. Kindly suggest.

Need to get an input system also.(CD, MP3 and cassette)

Welcome to HFV. Please browse through the amplifier and speaker sections to get a good idea.

Welcome to the forum!
you can visit hifi links kochi (google for the website and contact details) and have an audition of various speakers. they have decent collection of hifi stuff. Once you like a speaker you can chose an amp to drive it and so on...
First let us know your budget and the type of music you listen to.. migth be post in what should I buy section instead

speakers you can look at are wharedale diamonds bookshelves. the bose 301 is also a very good speaker and pairs well with the yamaha amp

Thanks AFJ,

Do you know how much the Wharfedale Diamond / Bose 301 would cost.

Also I require some suggestion on the CD/MP3 player. I have an old pioneer car stereo with me. Would that be compatible with the YAMAHA AX - 497.

Also I have a sony MCH - GX 2000 , CD system(no MP3), only CD and Cassette. Hope that also could be utilized. I have the speaker system also with that which supports 6 ohms.

Last edited:
Thanks AFJ,

Do you know how much the Wharfedale Diamond / Bose 301 would cost.

Also I require some suggestion on the CD/MP3 player. I have an old pioneer car stereo with me. Would that be compatible with the YAMAHA AX - 497.

Also I have a sony MCH - GX 2000 , CD system(no MP3), only CD and Cassette. Hope that also could be utilized. I have the speaker system also with that which supports 6 ohms.

wharedale will be between 12-18k (if im not mistaken) depending on whether it is 9 or 10 series. bose is around 17-18k

Friends,

I'm not able to arrive at a decision. Now that , Kittu has mentioned that YAMAHA AX 497 is an outdated model and also considering that the price quoted is very high, what is your opinion on Denon or Marantz integrated amplifier.

My requirement is solely for a stereo amplifier(integrated), a good pair of matching speaker & a CD/MP3 device(wanted cassette player also but wading off that option as it is highly difficult to find one with all 3 ).

Also , will teh car steroes be compatible with such amps.

My total budget is only 30K.

Hi there,

Yes, the Yamaha AX-497 is a discontinued model. Although the amp offers higher wattage than its competitors in equivalent price bracket, the sound of Yamaha is natural and rather flat.

About 3 years back, I was quoted THB 9,500 from one of the retailers that carried this unit on display (brand new set wrapped in film) in their shop. Yes, the price was a steal but when I auditioned it in another place that had a used one, I changed my mind. I had auditioned it with a cd player of the same brand, with Mission bookshelf speakers, audioquest cables and connectors.

I would recommend that you try to get an audition of Marantz PM600x or PM700x models and/or NAD 326BEE or 356BEE models.

Arun ,

First audition the speakers based on your music preference, then audition the same speakers with diff amps available with in your budget. Do repeated auditions of the same and diff setups. You will get an idea.

I'd say go in for the Denon/Marantz.. What kinda music do you listen to???

Hi JK, I listen to amost all kind of music but not heavy stuffs like rock , mettalica...

Love to listen to Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi old movie songs, classics, classicals and also listen to POP.

Since I'm not an expert on the technical aspects,I'm asking...

Which one would be better, in terms of quality of music , a bookshef or a tower

Last edited:
hey buddy there is a group buy thread for marantz cdp by denon.... you can get your vfm cdp from there.
as for wharfedales i have prices for a few of them at a good rate but i am sorry cant discuss here. if interested then pm and please mind you i am not doing this for profits.
all for the love of music

For your budget of 30K you should try and audition NAD C315BEE along with PSB Alpha B1, the total price of this combo is slightly more than your anticipated budget but will give you satisfaction for a long time.

Arun,

The kind of music you listen to, I would suggest a pair of bookshelves. The MS aviano 1 is a very good option.. You will have to shed out some cash on getting a pair of decent stands too.. I am sure a few of our fellow members, Magma and Nikhil Morey can help you on that..

See if you can get a Marantz pm 6002 from somewhere and pair it with either the wharfs or the MS aviano 1.. Should sound sweet.. Just my opinion :)

AX497 is a discontinued model , and the price quoted is very high IMO.

Hi kittu,

AX 497 should cost Rs.19k if I am correct, one of my friend got it last year. The better model should be AS500 @ 23k which has good reviews at whathifi.com.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back