A startup system for music

itsnotloudenough

Hi,

Just starting on this and moving on for a basic Phillips HTIB. been advised on the following:

Yamaha RN803 receiver with either Polk RTIA1 OR Yamaha NS333 if I head for bookshelves
For towers Yamaha NS F777 or Polk R500

There is also an option of a sub woofer SW50 if I chose the bookshelves.

Now my budget is sub Rs 1 lakh. I need it only for music. The source will generally be music streaming services. The room is rectangle and around 300 sq feet.

Any suggestions ? My first. Hence do not want a complicated system.

Suggest that you first read through some of the threads on this forum - will give you good insight into speakers and amps.

Some queries that you need advise :
- What type of music do you listen to ?
- Do you have a source for music streaming services (ie. a media player) or do you plan to stream from your phone ? If so, Android or Apple ?

My suggestion would be to pick an amplifier which has Bluetooth and Airplay built-in.

For example :

Marantz CR612

Denon DRA800H

And then choose a set of speakers.

Speakers have a big impact on the sound. You do need to audition, to identify what type of sound you prefer.

Examples of speakers which are well regarded :

Wharfedale :

Mission :

Q Acoustic :

Thanks Argho. Do you also have a view on the ones the store suggested for me? Also any idea on where in Mumbai I could audition the ones you have set out?

Thanks Argho. Do you also have a view on the ones the store suggested for me? Also any idea on where in Mumbai I could audition the ones you have set out?

The Yamaha RN803 and the Polk R500 have received very good reviews. It's an excellent combo.

I am surprised that your able to get this combo within 1 lakh. If so, please go for it.

You can read up a bit as there are a bunch of similar recent threads where FMs have given a lot of suggestions. I am sure you will be sorted there.

Now as you will get plenty of options from other FMs I am going to suggest an alternative route - considering you want a simple setup? There was a BlueSound PowerNode 2i somewhere on sale - that is an amp + streamer + dac combo. Many people here (including me) are using Node 2i (streamer + dac) and it is a great entry level system. Now if something like that suits you - it maybe a good buy for the price - I think it was around 50K or something on those lines (comes with a sub out + the app is one of the simplest and reliable to use).

***Please note - I have heard the PowerNode 2i (with QA C20s & Quad S1s) and I can testify that it is a very competent amp if not the best considering how much tech is packed in there. Specially for the price it is being offered at here.

**Please note - I am not affiliated with the seller of the suggested sale thread in any way.

Speakers suggested by Argo are very good.
Check out Amps in range of 30-40k like Marantz PM6007 which has a decent DAC.
You can get an external DAC around 20k or what your budget suits you.

Thanks Argo. I will audition the R100 and 200. I also felt the 803 Yamaha was a bit overkill for the first set up Amrut. So maybe a 40k receiver with these speakers. Will check the marantz and one version lower in Yamaha. Also, a sub woofer would probably not be needed if I go for these speakers isn’t it? I thought the RTI 1A without the sub was a bit dull.

My 2 cents from the discussion above. Sir, Seems like your priority is hassle free use over musicality. You could audition bose. I think you’d find it convenient and hassle free to use with reasonable sound. With your budget and space constraints getting a good sounding system which you won’t be looking to change in a year would be difficult. Bose will satisfy your needs for a long time. Thereafter it can serve as a secondary system in another room when you do decide to invest dearly into a much bigger system. A comparative audition could ease things for you. Cheers.

Thanks Argo. I will audition the R100 and 200. I also felt the 803 Yamaha was a bit overkill for the first set up Amrut. So maybe a 40k receiver with these speakers. Will check the marantz and one version lower in Yamaha. Also, a sub woofer would probably not be needed if I go for these speakers isn’t it? I thought the RTI 1A without the sub was a bit dull.

Sub can always be added later.

The QA 3030i has very decent base.

On 2nd thoughts, I think the R100 and R200 will be a bit pricey for the budget you have.

The Marantz + Q3030i or Dali Oberon 1 will be a very decent combo, and will be easy to use.

Sub can always be added later.

The QA 3030i has very decent base.

On 2nd thoughts, I think the R100 and R200 will be a bit pricey for the budget you have.

The Marantz + Q3030i or Dali Oberon 1 will be a very decent combo, and will be easy to use.
Marantz PM6007 and QA3030i is very good synergy combo at low budget.

I went for Yamaha RN 602 over Marantz because of the price factor. I get a network streamer + amp with sub woofer out on my Yamaha RN 602 which I believe is a better value for money. I went with Pioneer sp bs22 speakers which cost my just 16K and it sounds good as well. Looking forward to upgrade the speakers to explore new avenues.

Hi,

Just starting on this and moving on for a basic Phillips HTIB. been advised on the following:

Yamaha RN803 receiver with either Polk RTIA1 OR Yamaha NS333 if I head for bookshelves
For towers Yamaha NS F777 or Polk R500

There is also an option of a sub woofer SW50 if I chose the bookshelves.

Now my budget is sub Rs 1 lakh. I need it only for music. The source will generally be music streaming services. The room is rectangle and around 300 sq feet.

Any suggestions ? My first. Hence do not want a complicated system.
Raspberry Pi (running volumio) -> Topping E30 DAC -> kali IN8 monitors on sound foundation stands filled with sand + acoustic panels on first reflection points + in between speakers if possible + this rug on the floor. https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/vindebaek-rug-high-pile-light-beige-30508064/

Raspberry Pi (running volumio) -> Topping E30 DAC -> kali IN8 monitors on sound foundation stands filled with sand + acoustic panels on first reflection points + in between speakers if possible + this rug on the floor. https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/vindebaek-rug-high-pile-light-beige-30508064/

The Op has specifically asked for a simple solution (ie 1 box).

I think Rasberry Pi + DAC starts becoming quite complicated for a newbie.

The Yamaha RN-602 is indeed a cheaper option.
So is the Yamaha WXA-50

Found some indicative prices while googling. Pls note that I have no experience in buying from these websites, so please do your due diligence.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back