A sufi head here...any guidance will be welcome

There’s Sufi rock (most of the above recommendations) and then there’s traditional Sufi. Most of the latter comes from Pakistan. There are a number of albums (Qawwali and Sufi... they are actually numbered) by Nusrat recorded in UK/Pak. You might find some on Tidal/other streaming sites. Abida’s another powerhouse. But Sabri brothers are my favourites - they don’t dazzle you like the above, but they mesmerise you. Some like the energy of the Indian duo, Wadali brothers,

Most Indians are already covered in comments above. Try and listen to Rekha Bharadwaj, Kavita Seth and Zila Khan. I prefer the female Sufi singers from India over the males.

If you like Sufi Rock, don’t miss out on Junoon who created the genre. Among Indians, Rabbi aces everybody else. He doesn’t just sing Sufi, he lives Sufi.

I had watched this documentary on Sufism and Sufi music some time back and liked it. It gets you the cultural and religious import of Sufism along with coverage of traditional Sufi music festivals on both sides of the border. It’s on one of the streaming platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fareedd Ayaz and Abu Muhammad, pakistani singers of the Delhi Gharana, although not very well known in India, but according to me one of the best exponents of Quawwali today.

Masterful singing of Amir Khusro's poetry by this duo and absolutely stunning musical arrangement by Rohail Hyatt is bound to take you to a different dimension.

Aadam - Amir Khusrao ( Persian and Braj)

Here is Sanam Marvi singing the Poetry of Sindhi Sufi Mystic and poet Sain Sachal Sarmast.

Hairaan Hua, is an exclamation to the Ultimate Beauty of the Divine, and the love and awe it inspires in us.

A little knowledge of Urdu/Sindhi and history will elevate your understanding of the lyrics and exalt your emotions.

I don't know if Javeda Zindagi from Anwar qualifies.

But I feel its such soothing and peacful composition.

And I love the way its been picturized.

This is my all time favorite, I believe Maule Mere Maula from the same film also qualifies.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back