About Marantz Products

SonomaComa

I was looking at some Specs and prices and noticed that Marantz has two products that have similar Specs and the same price. They are the SR7005 and the AV7005. If using a separate Amp what would the advantage be using one over the other?

Also, are Factory Refurbished products recommended? I saw a place where they are both available for 44% less than purchasing them brand new. That is a $700.00 savings. But then again they would be worthless if they did not function properly.

A colleague started off his HT with the Marantz SR7005 paired with Polk Audio RtiA9 speakers. Some months later he invested in a Emotiva XPA-5 power amplifier and that's when he realized how much he was missing from the Polks. The Marantz amplifier was not bad, it just did not have enough grunt for the Polks to shine. The Polks started to show what it can do only after the Emotiva arrived. The Marantz SR7005 is a excellent AV receiver by itself. A dedicated quality power amplifier will still sound better and if you are headed down this road, it is best to stick to the AV7005.

Factory refurbished is perfectly alright. To my knowledge, there is a limited warranty for factory refurbished products and this should have you covered.

Wow that's great to know. What was the big difference between the two?
I would really hate to invest about grand in floor speakers for them to not sound right. I was thinking of either Martin Logan Motion 40 or Bowers & Wilkins CM8. Mostly for a Home Theater set up.

The ease of driving the speakers, overall dynamics is what primarily improved. The cost over head was thrown out of the window after the results were heard. It was possible to hear more detail at a lower volume with the Emotiva driving the Polk's.

I have not heard the speakers you have lined up but going by the specifications, if its the Martin Logan's, just stick to the SR7005. Should be easy to drive as the speakers are sensitive. The B&W will benefit from a dedicated power amplifier.

Any day, having a power amplifier is totally different from having AV receiver alone. Having said that, you need to see if you really require a power amplifier. Also, you need to see if it is worth to make an investment. If you are satisfied with those criteria, then you can really go for a seperate amp.

I came across the guide lines (given below in the quote) on THX certification which is all about the ability of AV receivers/amps to drive the speakers (with minimal distortion) in rooms of varying sizes. Here is a quote from hometheater.com and that gives you a rough guide line on using AV receiver -vs- seperate Amplifier.

-----------------Quote -start ----------------------------------
The AVR is stereotyped as the puny kid backed up against the wall by brawny separates who grab his lunch money. Nonetheless, an A/V receiver is usually the best way to fill a small to medium-sized room with surround sound.

Whats small to medium-sized? One rule of thumb comes from THX certification: THX Select2 Plus AVR-based systems are certified to produce cinema reference (high) sound pressure levels in rooms of up to 2,000 cubic feet. Lets call that a small room. THX Ultra2 Plus systems are certified to do the same in rooms of up to 3,000 cubic feet. Lets call that a midsized room and anything larger than 3,000 cubic feet a large room.

But room size isnt the only considerationor even the most significant one. What matters more is how your A/V receiver mates with your speakers. Speakers with nominal impedances of 8 ohms are easier to drive than those rated at, say, 4 ohms. Another crucial factor is sensitivity, or how much volume is produced per watt of power, specified in decibels under specific conditions. Speakers of the highest sensitivity (into the 90s) and moderate impedance are an easy load even for a modestly powered AVR operating in a large living room.

-----------------Quote -end ----------------------------------

So check for your room size and the connected speakers spec. As sandeepmohan suggested, if you have very good speakers (with high sensitivity and higher impedance) and room is mid-sized, then SR7005 itself can drive your speakers with ease.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back