Acoustic Portrait headphone amp

aurobindosaha

Hi,
Very few know about Acoustic Portrait products, but those who know, I am sure, will agree they are one of the most premium designers and manufacturers of audio equipments. I own Corrson (sister brand of AP) MS 610 floor standing speakers, AP integrated amp, AP Swara DAC and streamer and AP Thallym cables. The quality of audio I get from this set up is a pure bliss. The reason I give this background in a post in headphone forum is because it has set high expectations in me. Those who own AP products will understand what I mean.

For headphone (Sen Heiser HD 598), I use dragonfly DAC either attached to my android phone or my laptop. This helps when I am outdoors, but stationed in one place for prolonged listening.

About six months back Siva (Acoustic Portrait) told me that they are designing a headphone amp. I requested to provision a second analog output in my Swara DAC, so that I can connect the Swara DAC to their AP headphone amp.

I tried their prototype headphone amp with Senn HD 598 and HD 650 ... and my experience was like putting audio under a high powerful microscope. Every minute details of music was so well revealed. In fact I liked that amp with HD 598 better than with HD 650.

Now I own a Dragonfly 1.5 black DAC, I am deliberating does it make sense to invest in an amp. I am big fan of open back headphones, so my listening style will be in my house (sitting in one place). That way the amp suits me (it's a big and heavy heafphone amp) and can not be moved like portable amps (I own Fiio E6 ... horrible from SQ standpoint)

While in office I use DragonFly with Senn 429 (close back) to avoid disturbing others.

Probably it makes sense to have separate headphone set ups for times when I am home vs when I am not.

Please share your thoughts/suggestion. What's your opinion about investing in good headphone amps, or do you feel wastage of money if a descent DAC can drive headphones well?

Any second opinion on Acoustic Portrait headphone amps those who heard it?

Thanks
Auro

Its your call really

headphone setups - do work under various situations like late night listening w/o disturbing others at home

In the office - its better to be small and discreet and IMO headphone amps might not work unless you have the corner room with a DND sign outside it.

:))

At home - a good head amp can be a great companion to your headphones and to drive them to their limits ( not in loudness terms )

but IMO - nothing beats a good stereo.

But thats only IMO and its not cast in stone.

Am sure others will have different experiences as well and thats why i go back to saying - its your call really.

Questions like this can have a multitude of answers and each of it - correct - in its own way.

regards

A good pair of headphones and a decent head amp setup are easier to acquire than a good stereo set up.

The other points in favour of a head fi - no room correction issues, you're always in the sweet spot, VFM.

If stellar audio quality is a pursuit, then it is easier and cheaper to achieve it with headphones, than a stereo system. The biggest variable in the audioworld , the room is excluded :)

A good dac and a good amp go hand in hand. If you can set up to your convenience, go for it. Getting the amp suits you too. My vote, get it.

MaSh

Back