Acoustic Portrait headphone amp

aurobindosaha

Hi,
Very few know about Acoustic Portrait products, but those who know, I am sure, will agree they are one of the most premium designers and manufacturers of audio equipments. I own Corrson (sister brand of AP) MS 610 floor standing speakers, AP integrated amp, AP Swara DAC and streamer and AP Thallym cables. The quality of audio I get from this set up is a pure bliss. The reason I give this background in a post in headphone forum is because it has set high expectations in me. Those who own AP products will understand what I mean.

For headphone (Sen Heiser HD 598), I use dragonfly DAC either attached to my android phone or my laptop. This helps when I am outdoors, but stationed in one place for prolonged listening.

About six months back Siva (Acoustic Portrait) told me that they are designing a headphone amp. I requested to provision a second analog output in my Swara DAC, so that I can connect the Swara DAC to their AP headphone amp.

I tried their prototype headphone amp with Senn HD 598 and HD 650 ... and my experience was like putting audio under a high powerful microscope. Every minute details of music was so well revealed. In fact I liked that amp with HD 598 better than with HD 650.

Now I own a Dragonfly 1.5 black DAC, I am deliberating does it make sense to invest in an amp. I am big fan of open back headphones, so my listening style will be in my house (sitting in one place). That way the amp suits me (it's a big and heavy heafphone amp) and can not be moved like portable amps (I own Fiio E6 ... horrible from SQ standpoint)

While in office I use DragonFly with Senn 429 (close back) to avoid disturbing others.

Probably it makes sense to have separate headphone set ups for times when I am home vs when I am not.

Please share your thoughts/suggestion. What's your opinion about investing in good headphone amps, or do you feel wastage of money if a descent DAC can drive headphones well?

Any second opinion on Acoustic Portrait headphone amps those who heard it?

Thanks
Auro

Its your call really

headphone setups - do work under various situations like late night listening w/o disturbing others at home

In the office - its better to be small and discreet and IMO headphone amps might not work unless you have the corner room with a DND sign outside it.

:))

At home - a good head amp can be a great companion to your headphones and to drive them to their limits ( not in loudness terms )

but IMO - nothing beats a good stereo.

But thats only IMO and its not cast in stone.

Am sure others will have different experiences as well and thats why i go back to saying - its your call really.

Questions like this can have a multitude of answers and each of it - correct - in its own way.

regards

A good pair of headphones and a decent head amp setup are easier to acquire than a good stereo set up.

The other points in favour of a head fi - no room correction issues, you're always in the sweet spot, VFM.

If stellar audio quality is a pursuit, then it is easier and cheaper to achieve it with headphones, than a stereo system. The biggest variable in the audioworld , the room is excluded :)

A good dac and a good amp go hand in hand. If you can set up to your convenience, go for it. Getting the amp suits you too. My vote, get it.

MaSh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back