Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga & Corrson MS610

Hi Kishore,

I did bring up the bass issue with Siva. According to him he has tuned the bass response as a concession to market demand as many prefer to have that in their rooms. Siva himself definitely doesn't listen to music in that way so he could have tuned out the bass response but at the risk of eliminating some of his customer base.

But good point as in most rooms nowadays there would be a nasty bass hump in the 80 Hz - 100 Hz region. Personally if I were to purchase the MS 610, I would request Siva to tune it to a more tight sound. Tuning the sound with bass plugs is now used by quite a few speakers - PSB Imagine T3 for example. PSB supplies foam port bungs that can be used to tune the speaker in your room. It's a bit of a guessing game from the manufacturers view as the room is always an unknown.

Regards

I just spoke to Siva at length on the speakers once again. I brought up the bass issue and it appears that this is a room dependency. Siva said that he has installed the speakers in some rooms where there were actually bass suck out and it was hard to get any bass. However, placing the speakers on a 3" - 4" platform is the way to handle the excess bass if it is an issue.

Siva went on to explain that the low end is a feature of the drivers used. A lot has gone into the cabinet design to contain the energy that these drivers generate. Hence the massive bracing in the speaker cabinets. The front baffle is 2.5 inch thick. These speakers are pretty heavy in comparison to others.

Thanks Nikhil. Yes, room acoustics can play a very significant role. I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into design of the speakers to provide the correct dynamics.
Will hear them one day!

Bonus review coming up. Great!
A comparison of the integrated with your AP pre/power will be most appreciated Nikhil.

I placed my AP Pre + Power into the chain to drive the MS 610 speakers.
More micro details would be the way to put it. The combination really works well.

I was not expecting much of a difference to be honest as I thought the Integrated was really good. Siva confirmed my suspicions that the Integrated is a little more powerful than the AP Power amp. But better parts seems to be the advantage of the AP separates. These are the smaller nuances that you have in audio that come with the laws of diminishing returns. But again these would be noticed only if you really hear them side by side. The AP separates are a touch cleaner with the bass control on the MS 610 speakers.

Makes me wonder how nice the AP separates are really. Siva estimates that if he had to make my separates in today's money he would have to sell it for Rs 3L plus. Blame it on the diminishing Rupee but the parts are definitely costlier nowadays. This brings up a reasonably good value proposition of the Thiyaga Integrated which tips the price scale at a little over Rs 1.2L with taxes.

As always the usual disclaimer ... your mileage may vary.

Re: Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga & Corrson MS610

Thanks Nikhil. Good to have the side by side. As usual, Siva has done a great job.
I still look upon one of his earliest creations with awe. I have been fortunate enough to have it in my second setup courtesy a sale on the forum.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back