Acoustics in an L Shaped room

X man

Hi,

I have my HT/Music system in my living room/Dining room which is an L shaped. The system is in the living room section, shorter leg of the L. The section would be ~8feet width and width ~9 feet length with windows/balcony on one side. I have placed the speakers around 8 feet apart with one speaker partly in the inside portion of the L (dining room section).

Despite having a PM6004 and MA Rx6, I am not satisfied with the sound. I initially thought it was probably the speaker or Amp which is an issue, but I now think it could be room acoustics as well. Any suggestions what can be done to sort this out.... this being the living room the flexibility is low though..

Thanks

Yeah a drawing of the room will be helpful to understand the scene and suggest a remedy.

Also, you should try to borrow an amp with more meat to see if your amp is not a good match for your needs.

Hi,

This is almost similar case like me. But my room is about 2 feet bigger than the dimension you given. My speaker is also similar kind of you. Please try as below and mostly you will get good result.

1. Place the speakers approximately 2 meter distance between them and 30cm from back wall.
2. Your seat (listening place) should be in middle point of speakers just in the opposite side.
3. Turn (Toe) both speaker toward to your seating in such a way the speaker outer sides are verge of just visible from your seat.
4. Play some well know tracks and listen from your seat.
5. Now slowly increase the gap between the speakers. Ensure you are moving both speakers equally and each time ensure the point no. 3 as above (Toe)
6. At one point you get optimum result and leave speakers in that place. In my case I am getting best result at 2.7m between L and R speakers and the Left speaker is 1.2m from side wall (Balcony side).

Other things you may try if possible,

1. Some floor carpets in front of your seating / speakers.
2. Some paintings on the walls (Without glass frame work)
3. Grain finish wall paper on your back wall to reduce sound reflections.
4. Some kind of thick curled curtain in the windows.
5. Sponge finish paints on the walls.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back