Adding equipment to HT setup for Better Stereo Sound

druk2004

Dear Experts,

I have a Denon AVR 1600H. I have polks for the speakers: TSX 330T for fronts. OWM3 for surrounds and CSiA4 for center. I don't have any sub woofer.
When I play Stereo music in DIRECT mode, I am not getting the required Bass output and also the voice is not thick enough. My music source is Tidal or Amazon Music (using Denon HEOS)

To enhance the stereo output (specially the Bass & Vocals), should I go for an integrated stereo Amp or go for a sub-woofer ?
Plz suggest.

Regards,
Roy

I'd suggest going for an integrated stereo amp. I too was using my Onkyo AX series AV Receiver for both music and HT listening. The music output quality was really lacking.

In June 2020, I bought a used Yamaha AS 300 integrated amplifier and a speaker switch box to switch the inputs to the pair of Jamo S series floor standing speakers I use and that made a massive difference to the overall music listening experience.

Just goes to show its worth spending a few extra bucks to get something specifically designed for the purpose you are going to use it for.

don't have any sub woofer.
When I play Stereo music in DIRECT mode, I am not getting the required Bass output and also the voice is not thick enough.
The required bass output can only be provided by a subwoofer. Since your speakers play above 45Hz, anything below needs a sub.

For voice, you can play with equalization and boost 1k region and see if that helps.

I would like you to try something, if you are running audyssey then try turning it off, you will get options for tone control and graphic EQ.
Play around with Tone controls and Graphic EQ. Check how this sounds compared to Pure Direct or Direct.
Equalization won't be possible in Pure Direct or Direct Mode.

I would suggest add a subwoofer first, you are really missing out on the effects created for movies which are delivered by a subwoofer.
This will make a night and day difference. A subwoofer is a must for Hometheatres.

I would like you to try something, if you are running audyssey then try turning it off, you will get options for tone control and graphic EQ.
Play around with Tone controls and Graphic EQ. Check how this sounds compared to Pure Direct or Direct.
Equalization won't be possible in Pure Direct or Direct Mode.

I would suggest add a subwoofer first, you are really missing out on the effects created for movies which are delivered by a subwoofer.
This will make a night and day difference. A subwoofer is a must for Hometheatres.
Thanks. I already tried the tone and EQ options .. its still not reaching the type of output I desire.
Can you plz suggest some Subs which can be good for India music instruments (specially Tabla)

Thanks. I already tried the tone and EQ options .. its still not reaching the type of output I desire.
Can you plz suggest some Subs which can be good for India music instruments (specially Tabla)

Tabla frequencies range between 125hz to 300-400hz. These frequencies will never transition to subwoofers, as the best crossover for subwoofer is 80hz.

Keeping instruments aside, if you tell us your budget for subwoofer we can guide you better.

Tabla frequencies range between 125hz to 300-400hz. These frequencies will never transition to subwoofers, as the best crossover for subwoofer is 80hz.

Keeping instruments aside, if you tell us your budget for subwoofer we can guide you better.
You have touched upon an interesting aspect ... you are correct. the Tabla bass drum is ranging from say 80 Hz to 300 Hz. And which means that Sub might not be helpful.

How do I improve the bass response for 100-300 Hz range ?

Direct mode in Denon AVRs sound slightly thin if one is not using an external amplifier, this is what I have noticed.

X1600h doesn't have option of using external amplification, so best way is to tailor and make adjustments in settings with and without audyssey, try playing around with tones or graphic EQ like I suggested. They will definitely bring up the tabla sounds, I use "Chand Sifrish" by shan to judge how good the tablas sound and overall sound signature sounds.

As you have already created a new thread for Sub, you will definitely benefit from it. These instrument sounds won't be felt like the lower spectrum bass, but can be subtle and addictive if tuned properly.

Dear Experts,

I have a Denon AVR 1600H. I have polks for the speakers: TSX 330T for fronts. OWM3 for surrounds and CSiA4 for center. I don't have any sub woofer.
When I play Stereo music in DIRECT mode, I am not getting the required Bass output and also the voice is not thick enough. My music source is Tidal or Amazon Music (using Denon HEOS)

To enhance the stereo output (specially the Bass & Vocals), should I go for an integrated stereo Amp or go for a sub-woofer ?
Plz suggest.

Regards,
Roy
Try adding a equalizer to your setup

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back