Adding front speakers to Onkyo 3105

SoundByte

Hi All,
Recently bought the Onkyo 3105. Its great for movies, but when it comes to music it is disturbingly ordinary! So planning to add a couple of floor standers to the B speaker setup. Budget around 12 K. I normally listen to 70s/80s rock.

How would the Jamo S416 pair with the R340 AVR?
Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi All,
Recently bought the Onkyo 3105. Its great for movies, but when it comes to music it is disturbingly ordinary! So planning to add a couple of floor standers to the B speaker setup. Budget around 12 K. I normally listen to 70s/80s rock.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

get a separate stereo setup - get a norge 2060 (7.5k) with Norge bookshelves (6-8k). I believe you do have a decent DVD layer that can double up as a CD player. What you get as this combo is vastly superior music quality wrt the Onkyo

get a separate stereo setup - get a norge 2060 (7.5k) with Norge bookshelves (6-8k). I believe you do have a decent DVD layer that can double up as a CD player. What you get as this combo is vastly superior music quality wrt the Onkyo

+1 to this. Or if you have a PC work on converting it into a PC station with a good soundcard and powered speakers.

As the 2 replies have noted, you will only get pedantic enhancement by adding an ordinary speaker to the Onkyo. Better, save the money or get an AudioEngine speaker system for your PC assuming you have a dedicated sound card not counting the onboard crapola on PCs.

Hi All,

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

You need to audition a few more speakers before you decide. Moreover, you if you want a satisfying improvement you need to have slightly higher budget.

You can try Polk Audio
TSi 200 - 13.5K (Book shelves)
TSi 300 - 18.9K (floor standers)

Good luck!

How good are polk audio monitor-30? Price is 9.5K. Its a clearnce at Ril,A'bad.

Also, Any other FS for upgradation of 3105/5105? About 15K. How much a wharf 9.4 will cost? Is it advisable to pair it with 3105/5105?

Regards,

Yogesh.

Last edited:
How good are polk audio monitor-30? Price is 9.5K. Its a clearnce at Ril,A'bad.

Also, Any other FS for upgradation of 3105/5105? About 15K.

Regards,

Yogesh.

please carry your 3105/5105 unit to the place where you want to audition the speakers. All/Most speakers have their own pros and cons and pair well/poorly when combined with an amplifier and source.

Polk lower series are usually forward and a little harsh so pair well with laid back amps. Onkyos are forward too - i heard the onkyo 606 which i have with Polk tsi400 and monitor 50 - the audio was passable.

After much combination with Onkyo 606 with different speakers (though they are acceptable by almost everyone with my m35i - i still feel a separate stereo amp is necessary which i am in the lookout for) - I decided to get a separate stereo amp for music.:indifferent14:

Hi,

I have Onkyo 3100. Looking to upgrade the front speakers for improved sound stage in HT. Eyeing Wharf diamond 9.2 BS.(RS 15+K) When i was in Ritchie st an used goods shop owner (he is discussed here too) told me its sheer waste of money upgrading the speakers of an HTiB. Is it so? I am not looking for improvement in music but in HT sound stage. Is it worth getting the wharfs?
Thanks,
cheers,
sri

Hi,

I have Onkyo 3100. Looking to upgrade the front speakers for improved sound stage in HT. Eyeing Wharf diamond 9.2 BS.(RS 15+K) When i was in Ritchie st an used goods shop owner (he is discussed here too) told me its sheer waste of money upgrading the speakers of an HTiB. Is it so? I am not looking for improvement in music but in HT sound stage. Is it worth getting the wharfs?
Thanks,
cheers,
sri

I would absolutely say go for it.. I have upgraded my front speakers to Wharfedale 8.3 and the sound has definitely improved a lot. There is more punch and you can clearly hear all the sound effects more distinctly....

Hi All,

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi,
Try auditioning Wharfedale 9.1 / 9.2 with your 3105. It should definately sound better for 2-channel music. I am using 9.2 as fronts with Onkyo 5105 and the bass is so good that I don't feel need for subwoofer.

I prefered 9.2 sound compared to sound of Polk Audio RTI during audition with 5105. The 9.2 appeared to have more warmth + I could hear well defined reverb tails of instruments that weren't so evident in RTI's including bass response (maybe RTI's were very new, and had not matured well)

You MUST audition speaker-options before making purchase, and do check whether the audition-speakers have attained maturity.

Happy hunting!!

Hi,
Try auditioning Wharfedale 9.1 / 9.2 with your 3105. It should definately sound better for 2-channel music. I am using 9.2 as fronts with Onkyo 5105 and the bass is so good that I don't feel need for subwoofer.

I prefered 9.2 sound compared to sound of Polk Audio RTI during audition with 5105. The 9.2 appeared to have more warmth + I could hear well defined reverb tails of instruments that weren't so evident in RTI's including bass response (maybe RTI's were very new, and had not matured well)

You MUST audition speaker-options before making purchase, and do check whether the audition-speakers have attained maturity.

Happy hunting!!

I have combined RTi A3 with 5105 and I find the sound quite good. The 6.5" drivers has sufficient punch & depth to beat a few entry levels floor standers.

I read some users finding some Polk Audio speakers sound too bright with Onkyo AVRs. I have not experienced this, in fact my brother has Onkyo 990 with RTi A9 floor standers as Fronts. They sound brilliant!

But since I have not auditioned the Wharfedale 9.2, I cannot compare or comment on it's performance.

Last edited:
Really appreciate all your suggestions!
I presume there are a lot of first timers like me who got hold of an entry level system and ended up dissatisfied! Lack of proper auditioning I guess.

Cant reply to each one of you but here what I can say

• Really dont want to complicate things/ clutter my room and so am not keen on buying another stereo amp!

• Dont have a PC, work on my laptop and so cant really convert it into a music system!

• @ Sonosphere/Reju/Susanthace : I believe none of you have regretted upgrading the fronts for your Onkyos. Any others have done it? Experience?

• Will try to audition the below with my 3105 this weekend if time permits
    1. Wharfedale 10 Series as well the 9.2.
    2. Polk Audio TSi 200
    3. Tannoy F1
    4. I got a quote of 13500 for the Jamo S416, is it good one? when I auditioned with the Marantz, it was quite competent.
    5. Any other?

Thanks guys!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back