• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Advice from guru's on a new build.

Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series

tuff

OK guru's, I am thinking of building an HTPC and keep my other machine for work related stuff. I already have a few things with me, from Stuff i have upgraded.
1) Corsair power supply VS550.
2) Zotac GTX 650 1 GB DDR5 RAM.
3) Samsung 120GB SSD drive.

Si I will need a CPU/Motherboard and RAM.4 GB is what I am looking at to start off. Also i3 CPU is what i am looking at.
What would be the best Motherboard for this?
Am keeping an eye on Sam9's thread on HTPC performance also so that would be great help.

tuff

forgot to add, It will be connected to Yamaha rx v477 via HDMi.

regeHA

What is the intended use? Better recommendations can be made based on your requirements.

Just for d/l and watching content? Do you plan to upscale video? Watch 4K? Watch Live TV/IPTV? Have DVR functionality to record IPTV?

For the money the Raspberry Pi 3 is the best to simply watch 1080p content, stream content like IPTV, free TV, etc. Kodi/OpenELEC runs great on it, gives you the full Kodi experience, plus you get content from a ton of sources.

Also, take a look at the HTPC build by FM neoonwheels at http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/64328-every-htpc-has-story.html. FWIW its a great build... especially for what it costs.

superczar

Does your display support 10 bit?
If not, just get a cheap J3160 board (5K) , dump your gfx card and use your existing SSD and PSU - The chipset will handle anything upto regular (8 bit) 4K HEVC via Hardware decoding and will idle at <10W (assuming you are planning to leave it always on)

If you do however need 10 bit HEVC @ 4K then you will need to step up to either a sky lake i3 (software decode) or wait a bit for the newer Kaby Lake chips to come out