Advice & help on EMT turntables

anilva

Folks,

I know that quite a number of members have managed to get an Ex-AIR EMT turntable. Most of them are not in good shape - cosmetically or functionally.

I have had the privilege of owning more than half a dozen EMT machines of various types. All of them have been serviced and brought up to prime condition by myself. This involved years of reading, talking to ex EMT engineers and practically trying out on my systems and sometimes buying very expensive spare parts from Germany.

I keep getting lot of messages from forum members wanting to talk and answer some of their questions and possibly some solutions.

This thread is being created to help any of the EMT owners on restoration, repair, spares, maintenance etc. of their EMT machines. Please feel free to post here. I will try my best to answer them or give you a solution.

EMT is a world of it's own. Most of it is unique to the design, right from tonearm cable to headshell. Every spare is very expensive. I can feel how it is to own a EMT and not being able to play or use it in a sub-optimal way. Hence this thread.

Cheers

Folks,

I know that quite a number of members have managed to get an Ex-AIR EMT turntable. Most of them are not in good shape - cosmetically or functionally.

I have had the privilege of owning more than half a dozen EMT machines of various types. All of them have been serviced and brought up to prime condition by myself. This involved years of reading, talking to ex EMT engineers and practically trying out on my systems and sometimes buying very expensive spare parts from Germany.

I keep getting lot of messages from forum members wanting to talk and answer some of their questions and possibly some solutions.

This thread is being created to help any of the EMT owners on restoration, repair, spares, maintenance etc. of their EMT machines. Please feel free to post here. I will try my best to answer them or give you a solution.

EMT is a world of it's own. Most of it is unique to the design, right from tonearm cable to headshell. Every spare is very expensive. I can feel how it is to own a EMT and not being able to play or use it in a sub-optimal way. Hence this thread.

Cheers
Thanks for your offer of help anil :)

I will take the liberty of being the first to post.

Iam not entirely EMT. But got a EMT TSD15 cart, and a EMT STX21 SUT. My phono stage is a Bigbottle mk3, with variable impedence loading via plugs at the back .

What range impedence plugs should I be looking at under the 2 different possibilities please :

1. EmT TSD15 cart direct into the MC input.
2. EMT STX21 SUT into the MM input.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Thanks. I have always used TSD15 with a EMT built in phono preamp with a pre pre daughter card for MC step up or EMT SUT before the phono preamp.

Typically TSD15 loading is 100 to 200 ohms. I have restricted myself always to full EMT stack.

STX21 is an SUT in a box. It can go into any 47K input MM preamp.

If one wants to have an EMT tone, best is to keep the phono chain all EMT. It has a distinct bold tone.

STX21 is an SUT in a box. It can go into any 47K input MM preamp.

If one wants to have an EMT tone, best is to keep the phono chain all EMT. It has a distinct bold tone.
Thanks a ton for the advise anil :)

The designer of the phono preamp, did include a pair of 100 ohm loading plugs with the phonostage. Will start off with these and see, before including the SUT into the mix. Thanks again anil :)

Hi ,
As you are a senior member of the forum I got to know that you are very much experienced member and are very much into the vinyl.I am a vinyl lover and present own a TT which is the forth one and is Technics SL 1500 mk2 and SL2000 now that I want to upgrade my TT and planning to get an EMT 938 with denon103 or garrad 301 /401 or linn sondek LP 12 now I want your valuable input and guidance in this regard hope you will help in this regard and further if you can guide me by providing me any leads in getting one of these as such I have managed to find a PTP TT if that too is a good one then please let me know.
Hope you will extend me your help
Thanks & Regards
Flute

Folks,

Cheers
Dear Anil (and other members),

I'm a first time poster here, thank-you for your generous offer of advise and constributions on EMT products!

My interest in audio equipment has steadily grown from well known mid-fi brands to a mixture of vintage and DIY. I recently bought a EMT 929 arm - my entry to the brand. I've mostly owned British equipment, but now very curious to hear renowned Swiss/German gear. I also have a couple of Thorens Turntables (TD126 Mk2 & 3) and was thinking of trying the arm with them.

My first question is around the installation of the arm. I've attached an image, unfortunately it wasn't supplied with the Black mounting base. I've seen these listed for sale online, but I want to make sure it will work.

How is the arm fixed into the base? There are 2 grommet screws in the base, that seem to match up with 2 drilled indentations in the arm shaft. However these are located near the bottom, and would result in the arm sitting too high above the plinth. Is the idea that the arm can slide further down (adjust VTA) and the grub screws are used on any part of the shaft to hold the arm in place? I don't want to screw hard into the polished metal, or is this design?

Many thanks for your consideration and advice,
Lancaster

Attachments

• EMT929 Installation.jpg
    EMT929 Installation.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
EMT tonearm sits into a metal base which would have 2 grub screws. They hold the cylinder on the tonearm and height is adjustable (VTA). The design is that the grub screws hold onto the polished cylinder. Only caution I would advice is not to overtighten the grub screws and damage the tonearm cylinder.

Cheers

Hi ,
As you are a senior member of the forum I got to know that you are very much experienced member and are very much into the vinyl.I am a vinyl lover and present own a TT which is the forth one and is Technics SL 1500 mk2 and SL2000 now that I want to upgrade my TT and planning to get an EMT 938 with denon103 or garrad 301 /401 or linn sondek LP 12 now I want your valuable input and guidance in this regard hope you will help in this regard and further if you can guide me by providing me any leads in getting one of these as such I have managed to find a PTP TT if that too is a good one then please let me know.
Hope you will extend me your help
Thanks & Regards
Flute
It is very difficult to find a good working EMT in India. You could buy and import from Dusch or Fabritius in Germany. Other turntables like Garrard 301 or a Linn Sondek are also difficult to get but not impossible. Again these tables need to be in good condition to give you the best results otherwise, you would be spending a lot of money on spares.

EMT tonearm sits into a metal base which would have 2 grub screws. They hold the cylinder on the tonearm and height is adjustable (VTA). The design is that the grub screws hold onto the polished cylinder. Only caution I would advice is not to overtighten the grub screws and damage the tonearm cylinder.

Cheers
Many thanks Anil,
I just ordered a EMT TMD cartridge from Japan, which is looks in great condition, so looking forward to getting it together and running. I can share an update when ready.
L

Anil,
My 938 speed selector switch is damaged,kindly advise how to procure one or alternative,

also need service instructions in English kindly help

thanks and regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back