Advice & help on EMT turntables

Audio Video Cables Galore

anilva

Folks,

I know that quite a number of members have managed to get an Ex-AIR EMT turntable. Most of them are not in good shape - cosmetically or functionally.

I have had the privilege of owning more than half a dozen EMT machines of various types. All of them have been serviced and brought up to prime condition by myself. This involved years of reading, talking to ex EMT engineers and practically trying out on my systems and sometimes buying very expensive spare parts from Germany.

I keep getting lot of messages from forum members wanting to talk and answer some of their questions and possibly some solutions.

This thread is being created to help any of the EMT owners on restoration, repair, spares, maintenance etc. of their EMT machines. Please feel free to post here. I will try my best to answer them or give you a solution.

EMT is a world of it's own. Most of it is unique to the design, right from tonearm cable to headshell. Every spare is very expensive. I can feel how it is to own a EMT and not being able to play or use it in a sub-optimal way. Hence this thread.

Cheers

Yelamanchili manohar

Folks,

I know that quite a number of members have managed to get an Ex-AIR EMT turntable. Most of them are not in good shape - cosmetically or functionally.

I have had the privilege of owning more than half a dozen EMT machines of various types. All of them have been serviced and brought up to prime condition by myself. This involved years of reading, talking to ex EMT engineers and practically trying out on my systems and sometimes buying very expensive spare parts from Germany.

I keep getting lot of messages from forum members wanting to talk and answer some of their questions and possibly some solutions.

This thread is being created to help any of the EMT owners on restoration, repair, spares, maintenance etc. of their EMT machines. Please feel free to post here. I will try my best to answer them or give you a solution.

EMT is a world of it's own. Most of it is unique to the design, right from tonearm cable to headshell. Every spare is very expensive. I can feel how it is to own a EMT and not being able to play or use it in a sub-optimal way. Hence this thread.

Cheers
Thanks for your offer of help anil :)

I will take the liberty of being the first to post.

Iam not entirely EMT. But got a EMT TSD15 cart, and a EMT STX21 SUT. My phono stage is a Bigbottle mk3, with variable impedence loading via plugs at the back .

What range impedence plugs should I be looking at under the 2 different possibilities please :

1. EmT TSD15 cart direct into the MC input.
2. EMT STX21 SUT into the MM input.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

anilva

Thanks. I have always used TSD15 with a EMT built in phono preamp with a pre pre daughter card for MC step up or EMT SUT before the phono preamp.

Typically TSD15 loading is 100 to 200 ohms. I have restricted myself always to full EMT stack.

anilva

STX21 is an SUT in a box. It can go into any 47K input MM preamp.

If one wants to have an EMT tone, best is to keep the phono chain all EMT. It has a distinct bold tone.

Yelamanchili manohar

STX21 is an SUT in a box. It can go into any 47K input MM preamp.

If one wants to have an EMT tone, best is to keep the phono chain all EMT. It has a distinct bold tone.
Thanks a ton for the advise anil :)

The designer of the phono preamp, did include a pair of 100 ohm loading plugs with the phonostage. Will start off with these and see, before including the SUT into the mix. Thanks again anil :)

flute

Hi ,
As you are a senior member of the forum I got to know that you are very much experienced member and are very much into the vinyl.I am a vinyl lover and present own a TT which is the forth one and is Technics SL 1500 mk2 and SL2000 now that I want to upgrade my TT and planning to get an EMT 938 with denon103 or garrad 301 /401 or linn sondek LP 12 now I want your valuable input and guidance in this regard hope you will help in this regard and further if you can guide me by providing me any leads in getting one of these as such I have managed to find a PTP TT if that too is a good one then please let me know.
Hope you will extend me your help
Thanks & Regards
Flute

Pre-Book the Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut or Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price.