Advice on Pre Power Amps with Klipsch RP -8000F

Dear FMs

I did some relocation as suggested by some of the fellow FMs and run the Audyssey again. What I was doing wrong with Audyssey in the past was, I was starting with my main listening position for first calibration and then randomly placing the microphone for rest of the 7 positions. Now after going through some online tutorials, I started with MLP and then 2 feet left to MLP, 2 feet right to MLP, and 1 feet behind the first 3 points and then 2 feet in front of the first 3 points , so total 8 points with in 2 feet of MLP.

Now the left and right speakers are around 9 feet apart from each other and around 2 feet from side walls and toed in and approx ( 1 feet from the back wall, I guess thats the max I can pull in to the room due to couches in front of them at approx 1.5 feet ) . I am posting Audyssey curve and layout of before and after relocation. The Audyssey has not bumped the HF this time and I am feeling that the bass is not boomy now its better than before. That's the only difference I noticed so far as I didn't spend much time after the relocation will add more to it if there is any thing to mention.

Here are some details not in the curve

Measured Distances : FL/FR/SW : 11.1 Feet
Levels : FL/FR: -2.5 db, SW : -1.5 db
Front Set to : By Audyssey set to Large but I prefer Small
Bass: LFE Only
Crossover: Set by Audyssey 40hz but I moved it to 80Hz again

If you notice something too high or low in the curve please let me know.

Thanks.
Vivek

Attachments

• Before.PNG
    Before.PNG
    681.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Before_Relocation.png
    Before_Relocation.png
    194 KB · Views: 27
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 29
  • After_Relocation.png
    After_Relocation.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 29
Hope the new positioning and tuning brings an improvement in the SQ.
Looking at the pics and layout, I feel there is still untapped potential in your rig.

If refurnishing is an option, please do consider it. It may free up some space to bring the speakers a little more into the room.
For starters, remove the side couches and listen with current calibration.
If they sound good to your ears there are tangible and intangible bonuses.
1. You have managed to tame your system+room
2. Audio refresh budget can be allocated to home minister for refurnishing (huge brownie points for you)

Cheers,
Raghu

Hope the new positioning and tuning brings an improvement in the SQ.
Looking at the pics and layout, I feel there is still untapped potential in your rig.

If refurnishing is an option, please do consider it. It may free up some space to bring the speakers a little more into the room.
For starters, remove the side couches and listen with current calibration.
If they sound good to your ears there are tangible and intangible bonuses.
1. You have managed to tame your system+room
2. Audio refresh budget can be allocated to home minister for refurnishing (huge brownie points for you)

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu

Refurnishing is not possible in very near future. The side couches are at the farthest possible location because they would be in the middle of the entrance to the room if pull even 6 inches more in to the room. Still it lacks pronounced mids and still bright for me. :(

Ah OK.
Have you confirmed that the LF and room is not drowning out the mids?
If so, then it is becoming increasingly clear that Klipschs are not singing for you.
If not, it may be an experiment worth trying out.

Cheers,
Raghu

Ah OK.
If so, then it is becoming increasingly clear that Klipschs are not singing for you.

Cheers,
Raghu
My room is just bare walls, no treatment. I cant say that its the room. How to check this out? I cant stand the thin sound signature of Klipsch.

Ah OK.

Cheers,
Raghu
LF is as good as to feel its there. Sub is not attracting any attention it well mingled with speakers. At times I need to be so close to the sub to know if its even ON

Dear FMs

I did some relocation as suggested by some of the fellow FMs and run the Audyssey again. What I was doing wrong with Audyssey in the past was, I was starting with my main listening position for first calibration and then randomly placing the microphone for rest of the 7 positions. Now after going through some online tutorials, I started with MLP and then 2 feet left to MLP, 2 feet right to MLP, and 1 feet behind the first 3 points and then 2 feet in front of the first 3 points , so total 8 points with in 2 feet of MLP.

Now the left and right speakers are around 9 feet apart from each other and around 2 feet from side walls and toed in and approx ( 1 feet from the back wall, I guess thats the max I can pull in to the room due to couches in front of them at approx 1.5 feet ) . I am posting Audyssey curve and layout of before and after relocation. The Audyssey has not bumped the HF this time and I am feeling that the bass is not boomy now its better than before. That's the only difference I noticed so far as I didn't spend much time after the relocation will add more to it if there is any thing to mention.

Here are some details not in the curve

Measured Distances : FL/FR/SW : 11.1 Feet
Levels : FL/FR: -2.5 db, SW : -1.5 db
Front Set to : By Audyssey set to Large but I prefer Small
Bass: LFE Only
Crossover: Set by Audyssey 40hz but I moved it to 80Hz again

If you notice something too high or low in the curve please let me know.

Thanks.
Vivek

I still feel the speakers is quite near the wall. Also the subwoofer.

My setting for the RP8000F is small/40hz.

How much volume you are putting in the aubwoofer? Mine is way down... started with 10o clock...it's somewhere between 9-10 o clock. And the volume level -12db.

I still feel the speakers is quite near the wall. Also the subwoofer.

My setting for the RP8000F is small/40hz.

How much volume you are putting in the aubwoofer? Mine is way down... started with 10o clock...it's somewhere between 9-10 o clock.
I guess in your case 40hz is set by Audyssey? Since it can go as low as 32hz but I guess 40hz is too low. I would say atleast 60hz crossover should be dialed in. I think the gain on the subwoofer is same as 9-10 o'clock

I have a doubt here, since we have set the main speakers to small, I would expect no crossover setting should be there as we are telling the processor to send all the LFE signals to the sub I will be happy to be corrected here

The crossover settings are needed for the subwoofer to produce the frequencies too low for the other speakers. With our RP8000F we may just set them at large (I tried....but somehow feels 40hz setting sounds better)

Somehow I feel you should experiment with speaker placement.

Lucky for me I have a large living room 18x21. I have placed the RP8000Fs 14 feet apart toe in, 2 feet from the wall. And the bass is just punchy and without boomy.

The crossover settings are needed for the subwoofer to produce the frequencies too low for the other speakers. With our RP8000F we may just set them at large (I tried....but somehow feels 40hz setting sounds better)

Somehow I feel you should experiment with speaker placement.

Lucky for me I have a large living room 18x21. I have placed the RP8000Fs 14 feet apart toe in, 2 feet from the wall. And the bass is just punchy and without boomy.
I have very crowded space. No control over it until I buy a house.

Check how this sound like

It should give you a feel a very well engineered song.

Also check 'Fast Car' Tracy Chapman.

Try placing the subwoofer at corner

Fast Car is my favorite one. Another one that best sounds ob my system is Hotel California MTV Live version.

I have Dire Straits DTS.....sounds very good. (My source of comparison is my Sony 1000mx3 headphones.)

I am yet to venture with DACs/Tubes.

Btw have you tried with the PURE DIRECT setting?

I always prefer this when playing flacs/dsd/hi res. The SQ is definitely better.

You can also play with Eco on/off. I put them off when playing hi res

Long after you are gone . I just gave a listen on headphone. Its amazing. Cant wait to go home and play on my system. Thanks for suggesting this track.

Btw have you tried with the PURE DIRECT setting?

I always prefer this when playing flacs/dsd/hi res. The SQ is definitely better.
My main source is Spotify Connect, I am relying on Audyssey and it wont be in the play in direct.pure direct modes, in Direct/Pure direct mode the volume level goes significantly low. Is that considered normal?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back