Advice on Vinyl shop in Chennai

Rajeshh

I am a relative newbie to vinyl playback and i am throughly enjoying it.
The whole essence of listening to an album in its entirety, in the order the artist intended & the warm natural voices, is a revelation for me.
The sound quality from my modest TT, bests my high-end digital setup easily.

And for a welcome change, the "upgraditis" has been changed to one of buying LPs every month now :D

I've been buying LPs from the US & Singapore, trying to build up a small collection. I am happy with the shops & the high quality mastered English LPs i've found there.
I would love to add Tamil & hindi LPs, for which i turned to amazon & flipkart. Turns out that they only stock Hindi language LPs & not a large collection at that.

I am seeking guidance from FMs - shops/places or sites where i can buy LPs in Chennai, particularly new Tamil LPs like A.R. Rahman.

Dear Mods - Ive searched the forum before posting this thread, and only found 1 other thread from 2009 and no usable info.

Hi,

Mr. Mathew (aka Babu) from Pammal owns Audio Antique shop. I visit his shop quite often and have seen a decent collection of Tamil LPs but mostly Illayaraja's work. I will share his contact details. Worth checking with him.

Hi,

Mr. Mathew (aka Babu) from Pammal owns Audio Antique shop. I visit his shop quite often and have seen a decent collection of Tamil LPs but mostly Illayaraja's work. I will share his contact details. Worth checking with him.

Please share his contact. I would be interested in buying LP records, particularly Maestro Ilaiyaraja's work.

Hi,

Thanks, please do. I will check it out.
Are these new or used LPs?

Appreciate other FMs contributing with info as well on shops that sell recent Tamil LPs.

There's a book shop in Pheonix mall Chennai selling vinyl. Don't remember the name. Not much collection, but remember seeing few Rahman including Lagaan, bit expensive though.

Sent from my PixelV1 using Tapatalk

There is no Tamil vinyl release after 1994. As Prem told only ARR's "Kizhaku Cheemailee" and "Gentleman" are released in Tamil in vinyl. Both are poor sound quality compare to CD and even cassette.

You may find old vinyls in few shops in Moor Market. Condition can be from scrap to Near Mint.

Time and passion required for good condition vinyl collection. In my case I am collecting vinyls for the past 10 years actively. During this period I bought more than 3000 vinyls, cleaned all 3000, played and hand picked about 700 numbers. Now in the collection of 700 about 85% are near mint with neat sleeves.

There is no Tamil vinyl release after 1994. As Prem told only ARR's "Kizhaku Cheemailee" and "Gentleman" are released in Tamil in vinyl. Both are poor sound quality compare to CD and even cassette.

You may find old vinyls in few shops in Moor Market. Condition can be from scrap to Near Mint.

Time and passion required for good condition vinyl collection. In my case I am collecting vinyls for the past 10 years actively. During this period I bought more than 3000 vinyls, cleaned all 3000, played and hand picked about 700 numbers. Now in the collection of 700 about 85% are near mint with neat sleeves.

Thanks Selvin, quite sad that the indian vinyl are not mastered properly, i bought a Kailesh Kher from Amazon, and found it to be harsh and bright, very unlike the English Vinyls i bought from aboard.

Hi,

Hi,

I've just sent the contact no to your inbox.

Starmark in Phoenix and EA Mall sells new vinyls.. I found the collection was better in EA, when I had visited both the shops a couple of months back. The shop keeper there had told me that he is expecting more stock in upcoming week.. You might want to try your luck there..

There's a book shop in Pheonix mall Chennai selling vinyl. Don't remember the name. Not much collection, but remember seeing few Rahman including Lagaan, bit expensive though.

Sent from my PixelV1 using Tapatalk

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back