AE-5 or Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker

AMITNOIDA

I want to purchase a good set of either 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for my newly build PC (with Audigy 2 ZS sound card). How is the comparison between AudioEngine AE-5 vis-a-vis Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker? Depending upon my room size maximum 9-10 ft distance between two AE-5 speakers can be available. Which will be the better speaker on the following parameters:
- Sound quality and its richness
- Decent and tight Bass
- Future expandability to a component music system with an amp. etc.

I want to purchase a good set of either 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for my newly build PC (with Audigy 2 ZS sound card). How is the comparison between AudioEngine AE-5 vis-a-vis Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker? Depending upon my room size maximum 9-10 ft distance between two AE-5 speakers can be available. Which will be the better speaker on the following parameters:
- Sound quality and its richness
- Decent and tight Bass
- Future expandability to a component music system with an amp. etc.

AE-5 all the way - no comparison since you cannot compare (Bose does not publish technical specs of their components which in some ways is a manufacturer's promise to the buyer. Also Bose does not encourgage comparison or audition with other brands. Stay away from it.

Thanks Marsilians. Bose is out.

Now while going through various enriched threads in Hifivision, I am amazed how vast knowledge and feel you guys have in music & sound. This is so far totally unexplored area fo me.

Now, I have seen real good reco for Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s (I need small to mid-sized bookshelf speakers for my PC as well as my future source). Wharfedale diamond 9.2s shall need an ampli (may be Cambridge Audio 340 A or Marantz PM4001). The total cost will be around 30k.

Now my question is whether AE-5 at 20k would be better or the above combo in 30k shall make sense? (spending of 30k can be managed). Also, can the combo be used as my PC speaker?

Wharfedale Diamons 9.2s left speaker shall have to be placed on my PC desk about 9-10" away from my BenQ 22" monitor and the right speaker can be placed at about 9-10 ft away from the left speaker. Is the speaker magnetically shielded?

Frankly for PC setup, you will have to spend a fair bit to get good quality out. The A5 will do an admirable job and does not need anything else except a good soundcard as they are internally powered speakers. Also they are quite forgiving speakers when you throw on bad recordings.

While the Wharfs are good speakers, I think the AE 5 is a better speaker system. I still recommend them if this is a PC only or largely PC driven music source.

Thanks Marsilians. Bose is out.

Now while going through various enriched threads in Hifivision, I am amazed how vast knowledge and feel you guys have in music & sound. This is so far totally unexplored area fo me.

Now, I have seen real good reco for Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s (I need small to mid-sized bookshelf speakers for my PC as well as my future source). Wharfedale diamond 9.2s shall need an ampli (may be Cambridge Audio 340 A or Marantz PM4001). The total cost will be around 30k.

Now my question is whether AE-5 at 20k would be better or the above combo in 30k shall make sense? (spending of 30k can be managed). Also, can the combo be used as my PC speaker?

Wharfedale Diamons 9.2s left speaker shall have to be placed on my PC desk about 9-10" away from my BenQ 22" monitor and the right speaker can be placed at about 9-10 ft away from the left speaker. Is the speaker magnetically shielded?

Audioengine A5 is the way to go for music played via a PC. They do a great job in fact with any format from MP3 to Audio CD to FLAC thrown at them. They are also perfectly at home in a HT setup in case you are looking to upgrade later on. Even in terms of connectivity they give so many options. In their price of range of around 18-20K I have yet to across anything else that sounds so good.

Stay away from Bose like plague. Dont ask me why, google why bose sucks.

AE5 has outstanding reviews. Im going to buy a pair myself next month.
Look at the KRK rp 5 g2 which was mentioned in one of the other posts.
You could get your hands on a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 if you can find them in India. Theyre in a league below the AE-5 and are cheaper.

Thanks Moser and Marsi.
AE-5 is going to be the selection.

But only one issue - AE-5 has rear throw. So what distance I have to maintain from this speaker to the rear wall and also side wall to avoid any suffocating /reflecting sound?

Audioengine A5 is the way to go for music played via a PC. They do a great job in fact with any format from MP3 to Audio CD to FLAC thrown at them. They are also perfectly at home in a HT setup in case you are looking to upgrade later on. Even in terms of connectivity they give so many options. In their price of range of around 18-20K I have yet to across anything else that sounds so good.

Did you already buy that pair you were going to get from the u.s ?

Just wanted to add a point for AmitNoida. The Wharfedales are all magnetically shielded. But as other are saying they may not be good for a PC.

Cheers

Last edited:
Did you already buy that pair you were going to get from the u.s ?

Yup I did. Cost less than 17K on the exchange rate. Will be arriving next month or in April max. Only too bad I am having to wait for their delivery. Hopefully if the Oppo Blu-Ray player releases by then and is reasonable in terms of cost then will be ordering that too.

Yup I did. Cost less than 17K on the exchange rate. Will be arriving next month or in April max. Only too bad I am having to wait for their delivery. Hopefully if the Oppo Blu-Ray player releases by then and is reasonable in terms of cost then will be ordering that too.

cool... No worries patience only makes the end result sweeter

Im still in two minds whether to buy the Oppo. If the Oppo is not region free for blu. I might just buy a PS3 since i already have dv-983h for dvd's , sacds, dvd-a's.

Thanks Moser and Marsi.
AE-5 is going to be the selection.

But only one issue - AE-5 has rear throw. So what distance I have to maintain from this speaker to the rear wall and also side wall to avoid any suffocating /reflecting sound?

The AE website recommends about 6 inches from the back wall for the rear ports

cool... No worries patience only makes the end result sweeter

Im still in two minds whether to buy the Oppo. If the Oppo is not region free for blu. I might just buy a PS3 since i already have dv-983h for dvd's , sacds, dvd-a's.

The PS3 wins hands down anyways especially with Indian warranty and firmware updates and also it will double as a media center. It was my first choice too, but wife wanted the Wii hence went for it instead. I might still go for the PS3 especially if the Oppo Blu-Ray is exorbitantly priced or just wait a while before taking the HD plunge.

Is AE A5 a nearfield speaker? Because I have space contraint and the left speaker shall have to be placed on the PC table itself at hardly 1 ft from my ears.

yes AE5 is a nearfield speaker. But maintain atleast 1 foot distance, so that the tweeter is at your ear height for getting a good sound.

And please try to place both the speakers at the same height and equidistant from you, otherwise the stereo effect will go for a toss.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back