Airplay connectivity problems

@superczar One more thing i would like to ask. I have my pc connected with a 10m cat 5e cable and not sure about the shield and blu ray player. They must be cat 5 or 5e. Should i be upgrading them as well? I think i can leave the cat5e and change the cables that i am not sure of. For a gigabit network 5e should be enough

Last edited:
@superczar One more thing i would like to ask. I have my pc connected with a 10m cat 5e cable and not sure about the shield and blu ray player. They must be cat 5 or 5e. Should i be upgrading them as well? I think i can leave the cat5e and change the cables that i am not sure of. For a gigabit network 5e should be enough
Cat 5e is good enough for gigabit.
Don't change any of the cables yet. You can check the link speed on the router once conected.
If any of your gigabit devices shows lower link speeds then change only the offending cable

Well the issue still remains even after changing to a good router. Airplay not connecting and distortion noises in NF Nd prime. Improvements in plex. I can forward and rewind fast and the video doesn’t get stuck for one or two second before resuming. The rest of the performance remains the same as the previous router.

Well the issue still remains even after changing to a good router. Airplay not connecting and distortion noises in NF Nd prime. Improvements in plex. I can forward and rewind fast and the video doesn’t get stuck for one or two second before resuming. The rest of the performance remains the same as the previous router.

Well, I had a Denon 1200W around 1.5 yrs back and suddenly started facing a similar issue, and random firmware stuck issues. Never got the firmware upgraded to a latest one as it always used to hang up. Finally sold off and went for Marantz.

Not saying that you too should sell it off :) but I too did not get any solution to it till the end.

I still think it is a network issue more than anything else.
Multicast can be finicky and there are plenty of things that can make it not work as expected.

If you are up for a little experiment, can you use your old router to have a dedicated network only for the AVR ?
You can continue to maintain Internet connectivity on this dedicated network too
Basically have something like WAN - Modem -> New router (on an IP range of say 192.168.1.x/24) ----> WAN port of old router -> LAN for only AVR (On an IP range of say 192.168.2.x/24)
You can then connect your phone to the old router wireless - test for a couple of days to see if it runs stable
I have a strong feeling something else on your network is causing a multicast flood - Airplay in particular is very prone to drop offs in such cases
Isolating the AVR on a separate subnet will eliminate that intereference

If your setup runs stable with the suggested experiment, you will have the option of isolating the issue once and for all.

PS: Also check if your new router has an option to enable IGMP Proxy or IGMP snooping - enabling this will help with proper multicast routing

(@Love4sound - LAN traffic issues can be difficult to diagnose and don't manifest in a very straightforward manner. Believe it or not, I had massive delay/dropout issues with smart bulbs to the extent that I replaced quite a few. The problem was eventually (and surprisingly ) traced back to DTS Playfi receivers)

Last edited:
I still think it is a network issue more than anything else.
Multicast can be finicky and there are plenty of things that can make it not work as expected.

If you are up for a little experiment, can you use your old router to have a dedicated network only for the AVR ?
You can continue to maintain Internet connectivity on this dedicated network too
Basically have something like WAN - Modem -> New router (on an IP range of say 192.168.1.x/24) ----> WAN port of old router -> LAN for only AVR (On an IP range of say 192.168.2.x/24)
You can then connect your phone to the old router wireless - test for a couple of days to see if it runs stable
I have a strong feeling something else on your network is causing a multicast flood - Airplay in particular is very prone to drop offs in such cases
Isolating the AVR on a separate subnet will eliminate that intereference

If your setup runs stable with the suggested experiment, you will have the option of isolating the issue once and for all.

PS: Also check if your new router has an option to enable IGMP Proxy or IGMP snooping - enabling this will help with proper multicast routing

(@Love4sound - LAN traffic issues can be difficult to diagnose and don't manifest in a very straightforward manner. Believe it or not, I had massive delay/dropout issues with smart bulbs to the extent that I replaced quite a few. The problem was eventually (and surprisingly ) traced back to DTS Playfi receivers)
Well actually I do not consider them as issues. I don’t use NF or prime and also never use air play for listening to songs. And I am happy with the new router as it’s given a better performance in plex. Still thanks for your detailed explanation as it may come in handy later or for many others.

Airplay works fine for now in my denon 4500. For some reason the 4500 did not connect with wifi. I keep getting the message as wrong password but for sure i am giving the right password. So for now connected it with my lan and all seems to be good

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back