Airtel DTH HD sound issues

Dolby Digital plus now works perfectly good with Airtel HD. Earlier had problem with Star HD channels which was transmitting DD+ but now the broadcaster has rectified the problem.

dear friends i am using Airtel HD+ Set up box which is having optical output for 5.1 audio and i have philips DSP 2500 5.1 home theater which is having coaxial input.
so for getting 5.1 audio i am using Digital Coaxial & Op tical to Analog R+L Audio Converter and have connected my STB to home theater by optical cable, sound quality on normal channels are improved now there is now sound on HD channels like colors HD, M-Tunes HD, sTAR GOLD hd etc, team kinly help as i am not able to get 5.1 audio on HD channels. waiting for instant suggestion & guidance,,,,thank you

dear friends i am using Airtel HD+ Set up box which is having optical output for 5.1 audio and i have philips DSP 2500 5.1 home theater which is having coaxial input.
so for getting 5.1 audio i am using Digital Coaxial & Op tical to Analog R+L Audio Converter and have connected my STB to home theater by optical cable, sound quality on normal channels are improved now there is now sound on HD channels like colors HD, M-Tunes HD, sTAR GOLD hd etc, team kinly help as i am not able to get 5.1 audio on HD channels. waiting for instant suggestion & guidance,,,,thank you

Try changing the setting to Dolby digital in the Airtel settop box (I think you can find it in the user setting=>audio setting)

Hi.. I connected by Airtel STB HD+ box to TV via HDMI.

When I use digital dolby or digital dolby plus in STB HDMI audio settings then I am not getting any sound from HD channels.

If I set stereo as audio out from STB HDMI then sound is coming from all channels including HD channels.

Can anyone help to get digital dolby or digital dolby plus sound from STB HDMI cable to TV?

Are you using any AVR ?
For DB you need to have minimum 5.1 setup for the effect, it looks you have only 2 channels that too of TV

If your AVR - Amp is not hdmi capable then you need one optical cable going from set top box to AVR along with one hdmi from set top box to TV and this should work 100% provided you have 5.1 speaker system.

Nop it has to process via AVR, and when we say Dolby it needs 5.1 speaker system which will work only via AVR based system.

When I use digital dolby or digital dolby plus in STB HDMI audio settings then I am not getting any sound from HD channels.

If I set stereo as audio out from STB HDMI then sound is coming from all channels including HD channels.

Can anyone help to get digital dolby or digital dolby plus sound from STB HDMI cable to TV?

That's because TV cannot decode the Dolby signal coming from the set top box. TVs are stereo only, hence when you switch to Stereo mode in STB, the TV recognizes it and plays it. Doesn't your TV give an error message or something regarding unsupported audio?

MaSh

Hi,

The Sound Quality of Star channels on Airtel seems to have improved immensely recently. Has anyone else noticed this?

MaSh

Out of many Tata Sky DTH services have proven to be very good so far.
The DTH services of Airtel had issues from beginning . Even their services and quality of picture in Hd is also not satisfactory
wrong.service yes..i agree.not up to the mark.But audio quality is excellent and it is the best in all DTH.tata sky not even match with Airtel.audio fluctuations are there in dolby mode in tata sky and sound also not good.even picture quality is also not good in tata sku comparing to ADTV.ADTV is the best DTH is audio and video quality.there is no doubt on that.

This is exactly my problem as well..
My setup is STB --> TV --> AVR (HDMI ARC) . No optical
With this setup, I am able to get 5.1 sound from USB movies or netflix.
But not in Airtel DTH.

I went to settings --> audio settings and changed sound output over HDMI to 'Dolby digital' but I do not get any sound even if my TV is connected to AVR (NO SOUND AT ALL NOT EVEN STEREO SOUND)
Only way I could get Dolby sound from AVR was to connect the STB directly to the AVR through optical cable but the sound output is very low with this setup.

Is it the same problem with everyone? Am I missing something?
If Dolby digital will not work over HDMI, why give that option in settings? I called Airtel customer care and even spoke to some technicians but they have no clue about this. :mad:

Mind you this NO SOUND problem through HDMI happens only for HD channels.
For normal SD channels, stereo sound is played.

It works well for me with Onkyo Receiver. Maybe you got the connection wrong. For me HDMI connection is through STB=>AVR=>TV

Hi,

Mine is working fine too with Marantz 5010

Preferred audio on spdif is Dolby
Preferred audio on hdmi is stereo

My setup is STB > TV > AVR (hdmi out arc)

What kind of stb box u have ? Is it the old version ? Or even try changing hdmi cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My connection is STB --> TV -- > AVR. I use HDMI ARC to send the sound from TV to AVR through single HDMI cable. I don't have a dedicated media/bluray player..so this setup works well.

I could make it work with STB --> AVR --> TV both on HDMI and optical.
Using optical, sound output is very low.
Using HDMI, everything works well when AVR is ON. But when AVR is switched off, I do not get sound only picture. Is there any solution to this? I don't want AVR switched ON always.

Hi,

Mine is working fine too with Marantz 5010

Preferred audio on spdif is Dolby
Preferred audio on hdmi is stereo

My setup is STB > TV > AVR (hdmi out arc)

What kind of stb box u have ? Is it the old version ? Or even try changing hdmi cable

Why are you using stereo on HDMI?
How is the performance using optical?
Are you using optical or HDMI for sound?

Also, for some reason dolby digital sound volume is way lower than normal stereo. What's the reason?
Are you using dolby digital or dolby digital plus?

Last edited:
TV cannot decode dolby. So if your TV is in anyway feeding signal to the receiver, there will be no sound. Use the receiver as a receiver of signal directly from source and use TV as nothing but a monitor.

MaSh

Why are you using stereo on HDMI?
How is the performance using optical?
Are you using optical or HDMI for sound?

Also, for some reason dolby digital sound volume is way lower than normal stereo. What's the reason?
Are you using dolby digital or dolby digital plus?

As mentioned by other member (mash) TV cannot decode dolby and hence STB > TV via HDMI STEREO, this is coz everytime i dont ON avr especially when other members are watching TV.

AVR OUT (HDMI ARC) to TV via HDMI, here when you select your source/option TV in AVR it will decode the sound in dolby etc.

I do have optical option for TV to AVR but mine is working fine through HDMI and hence didnt tested.

As mentioned by other member (mash) TV cannot decode dolby and hence STB > TV via HDMI STEREO, this is coz everytime i dont ON avr especially when other members are watching TV.

AVR OUT (HDMI ARC) to TV via HDMI, here when you select your source/option TV in AVR it will decode the sound in dolby etc.

I do have optical option for TV to AVR but mine is working fine through HDMI and hence didnt tested.

Sorry I do not understand your connections.
When you do not use AVR, you directly connect STB to TV.
And when you use AVR, you connect STB to AVR and AVR to TV. Is that right?
In that case, you have to manually change the cables which is what I am trying to avoid.

I am able to bitstream Dolby or DTS from TV to AVR when playing movies directly on TV from USB or Netflix. But same thing does not work for STB.

If I connect STB to AVR to TV, I am able to get Dolby sound (though volume is much lower compared to stereo). But in this setup, how do I make it work when AVR is switched OFF. When I switch OFF AVR, I do not get any sound in TV (even if I change the audio setting in STB to stereo over HDMI).

I hope I am clear.

Sorry I do not understand your connections.

When you do not use AVR, you directly connect STB to TV.

And when you use AVR, you connect STB to AVR and AVR to TV. Is that right?

In that case, you have to manually change the cables which is what I am trying to avoid.

I am able to bitstream Dolby or DTS from TV to AVR when playing movies directly on TV from USB or Netflix. But same thing does not work for STB.

If I connect STB to AVR to TV, I am able to get Dolby sound (though volume is much lower compared to stereo). But in this setup, how do I make it work when AVR is switched OFF. When I switch OFF AVR, I do not get any sound in TV (even if I change the audio setting in STB to stereo over HDMI).

I hope I am clear.

Hi,

Nope, I don't change any cables nor afford it with so much wire mess.

1) STB > TV via HDMI No need of AVR and u get stereo sound from TV speakers as TV cannot decode Dolby etc.

2) STB - Settings > User > Audio
Preferred audio on spdif - Dolby
Preferred audio on hdmi - Stereo
14a5e6eecf0c3c657e7070bd01033511.jpg

3) STB > AVR via optical (I missed this telling before)

In AVR it will be HDMI ARC out to TV hdmi
Here when u select TV source in AVR signals will be decoded to Dolby for hd channels, you will also get sound from tv speakers which ideally can be kept to 0 to avoid any delay experience.

Now it's gonna be clear to you.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back