Airtel DTH HD sound issues

If I connect STB to AVR to TV, I am able to get Dolby sound (though volume is much lower compared to stereo). But in this setup, how do I make it work when AVR is switched OFF. When I switch OFF AVR, I do not get any sound in TV (even if I change the audio setting in STB to stereo over HDMI).

I hope I am clear.

Does your receiver support hdmi standby pass through? Only if you have this setting in the receiver enabled will the receiver pass through the incoming signal to the TV via hdmi. Even in this mode you will have to switch to stereo over hdmi in the set top box, otherwise the receiver will pass on 5.1 signal to the TV which would not get decoded. My Sony TV instantly flashes an error message stating the Audio signal is unrecognised.

Now, if this is really the case where the receiver does not have a standby pass through which for me is very important, I don't want to switch on the home theatre if my daughter wants to see POGO. What I had done in my previous receiver is send the hdmi directly to TV with stereo signal. Run a coaxial or optical cable from set top box to receiver. By doing this when I want only TV I don't switch on the receiver. And when I want better sound, mute the TV and switch on the receiver on the input that is connected to the set top box. Worked brilliantly for around 2 years.

Ps: I don't have a TV that supports Arc, so no idea how it works or how it could further simplify the connections. Basic thing to keep in mind is TV cannot decode anything apart from stereo. Pass through on standby is an extremely important feature for those who use it only when the situation demands.

MaSh

Last edited:
Hi,

Nope, I don't change any cables nor afford it with so much wire mess.

1) STB > TV via HDMI No need of AVR and u get stereo sound from TV speakers as TV cannot decode Dolby etc.

2) STB - Settings > User > Audio
Preferred audio on spdif - Dolby
Preferred audio on hdmi - Stereo
14a5e6eecf0c3c657e7070bd01033511.jpg

3) STB > AVR via optical (I missed this telling before)

In AVR it will be HDMI ARC out to TV hdmi
Here when u select TV source in AVR signals will be decoded to Dolby for hd channels, you will also get sound from tv speakers which ideally can be kept to 0 to avoid any delay experience.

Now it's gonna be clear to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand now. And I am able to do that..Just wanted to see if I can manage without optical cable. Trying to reduce wire clutter!

Does your receiver support hdmi standby pass through? Only if you have this setting in the receiver enabled will the receiver pass through the incoming signal to the TV via hdmi. Even in this mode you will have to switch to stereo over hdmi in the set top box, otherwise the receiver will pass on 5.1 signal to the TV which would not get decoded. My Sony TV instantly flashes an error message stating the Audio signal is unrecognised.

Now, if this is really the case where the receiver does not have a standby pass through which for me is very important, I don't want to switch on the home theatre if my daughter wants to see POGO. What I had done in my previous receiver is send the hdmi directly to TV with stereo signal. Run a coaxial or optical cable from set top box to receiver. By doing this when I want only TV I don't switch on the receiver. And when I want better sound, mute the TV and switch on the receiver on the input that is connected to the set top box. Worked brilliantly for around 2 years.

Ps: I don't have a TV that supports Arc, so no idea how it works or how it could further simplify the connections. Basic thing to keep in mind is TV cannot decode anything apart from stereo. Pass through on standby is an extremely important feature for those who use it only when the situation demands.

MaSh

Yes, got it. As I mentioned earlier, optical was working for me.
So, what I was doing is as follows -
Normal connection STB to TV directly.TV connected to AVR through HDMI ARC. AVR switched OFF.
STB to AVR is connected through optical.
When I switch ON AVR, I change the source to use the optical so that I can get DD sound. This works fine!

Why am I asking so many questions then?
2 reasons -
1> Sound through optical was very low volume compared to stereo. Wanted to check HDMi
2> Reduce number of wires.

My AVR has HDMI passthrough.
What I was missing is HDMI passthrough was not set correctly.
After setting it correctly, everything is working fine. No need of optical.
My connection - STB to AVR --> HDMI. AVR to TV --> HDMI ARC
When I switch OFF AVR, sound plays directly through TV.
When I switch ON AVR, sound plays through my external speakes. If I want Dolby sound for HD channel, I just change it in user settings when playing through AVR.

Everything is working fine now ::yahoo:

Thanks for your help. ANd sorry if I confused people :D

After using DD sound in Airtel DTH for some time, I am highly disappointed.
The volume is too low and I have to crank up the volume on the AVR to have any impact.

I am mostly using stereo sound even if I am having DD option.
Only in a few movies, where you want some 5.1 impact, it might make sense.
I do not have the rear satellites in my setup yet, so does not make any sense for me to use the DD sound.

Are you guys really getting a lot better sound with DD instead of normal stereo?

After using DD sound in Airtel DTH for some time, I am highly disappointed.
The volume is too low and I have to crank up the volume on the AVR to have any impact.

I am mostly using stereo sound even if I am having DD option.
Only in a few movies, where you want some 5.1 impact, it might make sense.
I do not have the rear satellites in my setup yet, so does not make any sense for me to use the DD sound.

Are you guys really getting a lot better sound with DD instead of normal stereo?
Well yes there is a slight volume difference between stereo and multi channel, however when it comes to sound quality, stereo is no where close to multi channel while watching movies or even some action packed episodes.

Volume difference can easily be fixed by adjusting input gain, if it's there in your receiver.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Anyone noticed MTUNES HD has stopped getting broadcast? Any reason why? After almost 2 weeks a new HD music channel from Sony has started. I think the channel number is 500(again I Think). The video is definitely not HD, audio seemed just okay to me, felt better than what MTUNES HD had.

MaSh

Anyone noticed MTUNES HD has stopped getting broadcast? Any reason why? After almost 2 weeks a new HD music channel from Sony has started. I think the channel number is 500(again I Think). The video is definitely not HD, audio seemed just okay to me, felt better than what MTUNES HD had.

MaSh
Is it 5.1? I see Dolby audio written on left hand bottom side

How safe is it to connect Airtel DTH to Receiver? I am currently having a Yamaha RXV 481 AVR, a LG led Tv with ARC hdmi port and Airtel DTH connection. What is the safest connection possible to enjoy HD channels in HT setup?

How safe is it to connect Airtel DTH to Receiver? I am currently having a Yamaha RXV 481 AVR, a LG led Tv with ARC hdmi port and Airtel DTH connection. What is the safest connection possible to enjoy HD channels in HT setup?

What do you mean by safest option? If something has to fail, it will. I have my Airtel box connected to the receiver(2 of them) for over 3 years now. Never had any issues. All my sources are connected to my receiver with a single HDMI going to a HDMI splitter(for TV and Projector).

MaSh

Can't predict when Mr Murphy will strike

Hi Guys,

Airtel recently launched hdmypack where by we can chose 5 or 10 or 22 or 52 HD channels of our like and pay for that package.
I am planning to take 10 HD channels. More preference to Hollywood movies HD channels. Can some one please tell me which are the best among HD movie channels with HD video and sound? There are more than 10 Hollywood movies HD channels available with airtel DTH, hence this confusion on deciding the best.

Thanks

Not much to choose here. Star movies, star movies select HD, zee studio, movies now, pix, romedy now.
What are the channels you are having confusion about?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Airtel recently launched hdmypack where by we can chose 5 or 10 or 22 or 52 HD channels of our like and pay for that package.
I am planning to take 10 HD channels. More preference to Hollywood movies HD channels. Can some one please tell me which are the best among HD movie channels with HD video and sound? There are more than 10 Hollywood movies HD channels available with airtel DTH, hence this confusion on deciding the best.

Thanks

There is nothing much to be confused about. Just pick the mix of channels you find interesting. The quality is more or less the same across all HD channels. The Star Select channels have slightly better picture and sound quality than other HD channels.

MaSh

There is nothing much to be confused about. Just pick the mix of channels you find interesting. The quality is more or less the same across all HD channels. The Star Select channels have slightly better picture and sound quality than other HD channels.

MaSh

Thanks Mash for the response. I see Star movies HD is having Dolby Digital Plus where as other HD movies channel are only Doly digital. SO whats that difference?

Thanks Mash for the response. I see Star movies HD is having Dolby Digital Plus where as other HD movies channel are only Doly digital. SO whats that difference?

Very minor. In the end its TV, and sound no matter what format does not compare to an encoded movie off a Disk. So dont bother so much about the codec and enjoy the show on the channel.

MaSh

Very minor. In the end its TV, and sound no matter what format does not compare to an encoded movie off a Disk. So dont bother so much about the codec and enjoy the show on the channel.

MaSh

But I am planning to connect the airtel box to AVR. So sound will play a key role from the HD channels.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back