alcon capacitor

does any one use alcon electrolytic capacitors in high end audio amplifiers? how does it perform against Japanese electrolytic capacitors?

http://www.alconelectronics.com/aluminium-electrolytic-capacitors.php

I think they're good choice for Power Supply, earlier I compared the specs with other brands, Alcon has better specs then compared to some audio grade caps.

Some amp designer FM's has positive feedback of Alcon caps.

My choice of the appropriate place for Alcon is power supply, however I would still use like Audio grade caps on the amp circuit.

I read somewhere that Alcon uses raw material from Germany.

Regards
Bilal

You can mail the below contact to find the distributor in your city .

Rajesh Bhope
Vice President - Sales

Alcon Electronics Pvt. Ltd.
34-B MIDC Industrial Estate,
Satpur, Nashik 422007
TEL: +91 253 2350533
FAX: +91 253 2351682
Mobile : + 91 9822914164
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web-Site: www.alconelectronics.com

For chennai it is
J.Kosala Kumar
M/S.Universal Traders
Chennai .
+91 95510 51514
[email protected]

does any one use alcon electrolytic capacitors in high end audio amplifiers? how does it perform against Japanese electrolytic capacitors?

http://www.alconelectronics.com/aluminium-electrolytic-capacitors.php

I usually use Nichicon's Fine Gold or their KZ series for the amplifiers i work on especially in signal path.
If you note these capacitors will not have their ESR value or ripple current rating mentioned, they are simply audio capacitors and where you put them in matters.

Regarding the Alcon's at-least from their specifications i think they are good for power supply filtering.
They can be used to replace filter capacitors if that is what you are looking for.
The capacitance range in which these are available start from a higher value,depends on purpose and what you need them for.
Elna Silmic II's are also good, and so are few panasonic capacitors that are available locally, the panasonic capacitors are also good enough for power supply.

You might also want to check if their size/dimensions fit your purpose and need.

I usually use Nichicon's Fine Gold or their KZ series for the amplifiers i work on especially in signal path.
If you note these capacitors will not have their ESR value or ripple current rating mentioned, they are simply audio capacitors and where you put them in matters.

How do you source KZ or FG?

How do you source KZ or FG?

I get them from mouser, despite the high cost, i usually use a lot of capacitors for my restoration work, so i do a bulk order in most cases.
Here is the thread where i used FG/KZ in most places for my AU-X11 . The amp is for my personal use and i do not own a shop or do this as a profession.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-au-x11-restoration.788908/

There are various reasons why i did not prefer to get them locally:
1. Authenticity (These days Chinese caps are made then put a Nichicon sticker on top of the cap and there is no way to know whether it is genuine.
2. Fake stuff floating in eBay, if you go through my thread you will realize how i was cheated with fake output transistors especially vintage ones

The only reputable source for spares has always been mouser/digikey/element14(they have panasonic)

I use Peak ATLAS ESR70 and DCA75 pro to get rid of stuff that is bad/or which i feel is not authentic.

AFAIK, i am not sure where in India these are available locally, but if you have any insight do let me know .

Last edited:
I get them from mouser, despite the high cost, i usually use a lot of capacitors for my restoration work, so i do a bulk order in most cases.
Here is the thread where i used FG/KZ in most places for my AU-X11 . The amp is for my personal use and i do not own a shop or do this as a profession.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-au-x11-restoration.788908/

There are various reasons why i did not prefer to get them locally:
1. Authenticity (These days Chinese caps are made then put a Nichicon sticker on top of the cap and there is no way to know whether it is genuine.
2. Fake stuff floating in eBay, if you go through my thread you will realize how i was cheated with fake output transistors especially vintage ones

The only reputable source for spares has always been mouser/digikey/element14(they have panasonic)

I use Peak ATLAS ESR70 and DCA75 pro to get rid of stuff that is bad/or which i feel is not authentic.

AFAIK, i am not sure where in India these are available locally, but if you have any insight do let me know .

I also sourced my FG and KZs from mouser only. They attracted hefty customs.

I also sourced my FG and KZs from mouser only. They attracted hefty customs.
Sure they do, but i have a peace of mind and there is no need to bother about authenticity.
I do also like ROE Gold, but there no way to find which is genuine and which is not, so i just stick Nichicon FG , KG and BP-ES for bipolar capacitors.

Customs was around 45% and shipping an extra 1200 rupees.
If you do a bulk order it is beneficial in most cases, for 5 or 10 capacitors i don't find it worth ordering from Mouser.
There is also element14, where you can get good Panasonic Power Supply capacitors in case you plan to save some cost.
You will need a GST certificate to place an order with them.

I have used large Alcon capacitors with screw terminals in the past. 10000 microfarad 50V ones. Compared to the Nichicon ones they are huge. Since cabinets are really costly I prefer the nichicons or novers so I can use and smaller and relatively cheaper enclosure.

Customs and gst are over the roof. Recently my headphone amp of Rs25000 got Rs.11000 as custom duty, GST and parcel charges.

Mouser lndia has office in Pune.You can call them and ask details.Then you need to order via email.They give final price and once you agree,they place order.
It takes 15-20days to deliver.

Thanks. From next time onwards I'll do that. Last time it was held by customs and DHL charged too much. Mouser India didn't help much regarding customs clearance or the charges.

Customs and gst are over the roof. Recently my headphone amp of Rs25000 got Rs.11000 as custom duty, GST and parcel charges.

This is going insane. For 6.8k worth product, customs charged 3.4k. BTW...this is not the same scenario mentioned earlier (mouser). The seller was different.

Most of the time DHL or any international courier company do not give the customs bills . I am wondering if DHL is over charging the customer . I have found that EMS indian postal services to be more resonable , affaik just that they take a week longer to deliver .

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back