Aligning Shure M97XE Cartridge with my Technics Headshell

jayants

Hi,

I was using a Shure M97 XE Cartridge mounted in my Technics Head shell and I preferred changing it as it has been used for long now.So I mounted a new Shure M97 XE Cartridge in a new Technics Headshell and mounted it in my Tone arm.

The angle is same and fitting also is same like the previous one.But am not getting the same output as before. Initially one channel was coming less which I then adjusted tweaking the cartridge a bit by making it almost parallel to the surface BUT still I believe the optimum is not coming.The gain in this one is coming less compared to my previous old one.How do I resolve this?

Also can you all please tell me while fixing up the screws,bringing the screws more inside towards the tone arm does it give a better and clearer output than the position of the screws more towards us? Yes I know the screws position is adjusted to align the cartridge using the protractor BUT is there any thumb rule that one will get brighter sound if its adjusted more inside towards the tone arm?

Pls suggest.

Last edited:
What I read so far tells me that stylus contact point to spindle center is the overhang and that should be as suggested by the TT manufacturer. To maintain that overhang, one needs to place the cartridge along with the stylus.

Stylus's angle is also defined by stylus manufacturer and should be followed. It is generally around 20 degree vertical from disc surface as I read.

I probably am not helping you here if I am wrong in above statements, rather with your post I am learning as well. So, I would be glad in both ways learning the technology whether I am right or wrong.

I hope I didn't obstruct you gathering knowledge.

Just completed an alignment. The easiest way is using the "Technics Overhang Gauge" as this is very specific to Technics and does the alignment perfectly. The next best is to use the protractor, which is not for the fainthearted.

In terms of measurements you would find on trolling the net that you have to

1. Have a distance of 52mm(IIRC) from the stylus tip to the back of the shell.

2. The cartridge end has to be aligned in line with the tonearm pivot point at the back. Assuming you have a slotted headshell.

Regarding the signal loss suggest that you make sure the contacts where the headshell mates with the tonearm is clean and springy. Over a period of time the springiness would have been lost. This is the normal case where the previous cartridge has been with the tonearm for many years.

My 2c.

Regarding the signal loss suggest that you make sure the contacts where the headshell mates with the tonearm is clean and springy. Over a period of time the springiness would have been lost. This is the normal case where the previous cartridge has been with the tonearm for many years.

My 2c.

Hi couldn't understand this part. What u mean by springiness?
And can u explain further on this please.

BTW, new cart takes some time to set-in its suspension. So sound will evolve in run-in. Approx 25hrs and beyond.

For mounting 97xe, I start with extreme end of headshell with max length of tonearm. Then move the cart inside according to protractor null points, slowly. In my 1200 TT, screw towards spindle was more inside than other one.

Also horizontal play in headshell should be adjusted using spirit bubble level or mirrors. Height of tonearm must be to 'zero' in my my case. I get perfect horizontal tonerarm with 97xe and 1200 mkII at this setting.

Don't forget to reset tracking weights and antiskating once again.

Last edited:
Hi couldn't understand this part. What u mean by springiness?
And can u explain further on this please.

I think he means the clips at the ends of the cartridge lead wires that must plug into the four terminals/pins of the cartridge may have lost their spring action, leading to loose contact. Solution is as simple as compressing the end of the clips that plugs into the pins. Don't compress too hard, they can break. When you plug in the cartridge lead wires to the pins of the cartridge, they must hold snug and tight, just tight enough that you can unplug it with your fingers.

For low sound, please check that you have plugged correct cartridge wires to the correct terminals/pins of the cartridge - red is right+, green is right-, white is left+ and blue is left-.

Read page 2-3 of your TT's user manual for correct cartridge mounting guidance.

Stylus's angle is also defined by stylus manufacturer and should be followed. It is generally around 20 degree vertical from disc surface as I read.

Stylus Rake Angle (SRA) must be 92 Degrees for most modern cartridges. However, one needs a powerful visual aid that allows one to see and measure this (like an USB microscope), so we use the indirect method of making the tonearm tube as parallel as possible to the record surface, with the assumption that the SRA automatically takes care of itself with this step. And this assumption is usually good enough, especially since we play records of varying thicknesses, and the absence of on-the-fly ability to change VTA. As long as one has the arm tube parallel to the record surface (use a medium thickness record - not the thinnest one around nor the thickest one around), one should be good to go.

Don't forget to reset tracking weights and antiskating once again.

I didn't reset the tracking weights and antiskating.I didn't touch them at all.Reason is as I just replaced apples with apples - technics headshell with M97XE Cartridge replaced with same headshell and cartridge.So for that do I need to adjust the weight and antiskating again?

For low sound, please check that you have plugged correct cartridge wires to the correct terminals/pins of the cartridge - red is right+, green is right-, white is left+ and blue is left-.

I have done this perfectly by pugging them off few times and fixing them again.Also tried to keep some space between the wires so that they don't touch though there shouldn't be any problem for that.

Also horizontal play in headshell should be adjusted using spirit bubble level or mirrors. Height of tonearm must be to 'zero' in my my case. I get perfect horizontal tonerarm with 97xe and 1200 mkII at this setting.

Hi,

Can u pls explain how its adjusted using spirit bubble level?
Height of tonearm must be to 'zero' in my my case. I get perfect horizontal tonerarm with 97xe and 1200 mkII at this setting.------------------> Couldn't understand this.Can u pls explain?

I didn't reset the tracking weights and antiskating.I didn't touch them at all.Reason is as I just replaced apples with apples -

Do arm balancing and counterweight setting. You may feel you have just replaced one for another, but the new headshell+cartridge WILL not be fitted exactly at the same position as the old one. Remember we are talking of a very tiny amount of weight of the order of 1.25 to 1.5 grams here, so it is extremely easy to be off target. If your new position is different by even half an mm, it won't be obvious to you but your tracking force has been changed. You can easily see for yourself if you have a cartridge digital scale, or a mechanical Shure Stylus gauge or similar.

Thumb rule: if you remove your cartridge for any reason, follow it with proper alignment, balancing and counterweight settings.

So please reset the current counterweight to zero, reset the antiskate also to zero, then re-balance the arm (by moving the counterweight back and forth) so that arm tube stays perfectly horizontal, not tilted to rear or towards cartridge, then rotate the caibrated counterweight to 1.25 or 1.5 gram (as recommended for M97xE), followed by antiskate of 1.25/1.5 gram. You can re-confirm the eaxct steps from your 1200s manual.

The above is the easier and less critical part.

Before doing this, get the cartridge alignment done. If using a formal protractor is tough (it's not so tough as made out to be, btw:)), at least use a ruler to get the stylus tip to headshell back exactly 52 mm. Tighten headshell screws, then do balancing as instructed above.

Can u pls explain how its adjusted using spirit bubble level?
Tool:
high-precision-bubble-level-spirit-level.jpg

I don't have pictures from own TT for this. Put this 0.25gm weighing spirit level on flat record surface on plinth. Make TT horizontal by adjusting height of TT legs.
Then put this on flat surface of headshell, (there are big holes behind screws). I placed small piece of paper over it and placed this spirit level. Area around cart screws is slanted, don't put it there. Make sure headshell lands on record with 0.5gm weight. Now confirm its not tilted towards left or right bit around center of spirit level.

Remove spirit level and balance tonearm and adjust tracking wt etc.

Height of tonearm must be to 'zero' in my my case. I get perfect horizontal tonerarm with 97xe and 1200 mkII at this setting.------------------> Couldn't understand this.Can u pls explain?

Please look at below pic from my thread. You can see height adjustment black ring in tonearm base. Its surrounding whole base. See 0 marking adjusted below arm lifting rubber part of tonearm tube.
BTW there is lock below backside of tonearm tube (where counter weight is attached). You have to unlock it for adjusting height and lock again to its adjusted position. In below picture it is in unlocked position.

11insidearmbot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for these inputs.

Suppose if I just remove the stylus (the old one with the new one)..................do I need to do all this again?I mean alignment through weight and anti skating changes?

Suppose if I just remove the stylus (the old one with the new one)..................do I need to do all this again?I mean alignment through weight and anti skating changes?

You're asking the obvious and I suspect you know the answer already:)

But for your satisfaction, it's a no.

You're asking the obvious and I suspect you know the answer already:)

But for your satisfaction, it's a no.

Ok so u mean to say the moment I have removed the headshell and changed the stylus, I have to realign things when I put the headshell back.

Correct?

Ok so u mean to say the moment I have removed the headshell and changed the stylus, I have to realign things when I put the headshell back.

Correct?

If you remove the headshell with the cartridge still unscrewed from the headshell, and you're replacing only the stylus, there is no need to re-balance the arm.

As long as the cartridge is not moved from its position on the headshell, balancing is not required. Hope your doubt is now cleared.

:sad:
If you remove the headshell with the cartridge still unscrewed from the headshell, and you're replacing only the stylus, there is no need to re-balance the arm.

As long as the cartridge is not moved from its position on the headshell, balancing is not required. Hope your doubt is now cleared.

Balancing may not be required.
But I think we need to check the azimuth and vta because new stylus may have rigid suspension as well as different tip profile.

Its simple, if you remove the headshell with cart and just screw it back, no re-balancing required. If you change the stylus, do the VTF re-calibration just for peace of mind. If you change the headshell with a cart, to another in your collection (which is already calibrated) then you'd need to readjust just the VTF ideally. If you unscrew the cart from the headshell and screw on another or use a headshell and cart not owned by you, then you have to do a complete calibration of both the cart and the tonearm.

Yes this is what I was asking!
I am not going to touch the cartridge at all as only the stylus will be replaced.

Back