Aligning Shure M97XE Cartridge with my Technics Headshell

Hi,

1 of my fellow colleague suggested me that while aligning the cartridge using the Stupid Protractor,both the outside arc point and inside arc point will coincide with the stylus without the platter being moved/adjusted so that the inside one also coincides.If this happens then only the cartridge is properly aligned.

Well my question is how is it possible???

As its an elyptical path how will the stylus tip touch both outside arc and inside arc centre point without adjusting the distance that can be done by moving the platter slightly to one's left while aligning with the inside arc.

Can anyone of u please help in clearing the doubt here?

Since the protractor is resting on the platter, the platter has to be moved to align the cartridge to the outside and inside nulls. Otherwise there's no way the two nulls will align at two places. You can prove it for yourself.

By the way, please don't ignore the overhang. It is equally important as the offset.

Nowadays, I've simplified my alignment procedure - adjust overhang first followed by adjustment of offset angle, followed by rechecking if overhang is still correct, and making tiny adjustments as needed. Works for me, but one needs to create one's own overhang gauge and offset protractor.

Since the protractor is resting on the platter, the platter has to be moved to align the cartridge to the outside and inside nulls. Otherwise there's no way the two nulls will align at two places. You can prove it for yourself.

By the way, please don't ignore the overhang. It is equally important as the offset.

Nowadays, I've simplified my alignment procedure - adjust overhang first followed by adjustment of offset angle, followed by rechecking if overhang is still correct, and making tiny adjustments as needed. Works for me, but one needs to create one's own overhang gauge and offset protractor.

Exactl!!

without moving its not possible to get the cartridge aligned with the outside and inside arc.

Thanks.

If your arm is an S arm, it is already angled for the correct offset angle. So align cartridge exactly along the length of the head shell and adjust overhang, and you should be done. If it's possible to adjust VTA, do that after overhang adjustment.

Overhang gauge, at 52mm from collet rubber gasket to tip is one way.
Or making alignment with baerwald or Stevenson protractor is another option.
Or simply print this arc protractor from vinyl engine site. It is best among all. Match arc plus two points. Done
db62b255afec55a5cb5955b630f02fea.jpg

I aligned my Ortofon OM pro S cartridge with my Technics SL-23 using this protractor. It took me not more than 10 minutes to do that and the results are amazing. Balanced sound in both channels, very neutral and plays till the last groove. Strangely the records also seem to have less scratchy noise than it used to be in the Dual 523.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/protractori.pdf

You can take a print in a A4 paper and laminate with an transparent overhead projection sheet available with the stationary shop and you can align once in a year.

Agree with Joshua, Mishra and Hari. I printed out the baerwald protractor on a A4 sized paper sheet, suitably cut it out, similar to the one in the picture and glued it to an old and damaged LP, after aligning the center hole. That has been my reference kit since. Yes, the overhang gauge is the simple solution but if you want to fulfill your desire for precise settings, then the baerwald protractor is the way to go.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back