All That Jazz ...

LOL!
I had the pleasure of hosting @goget for a listening session a few months ago. Needless to say, he has all the answers to the ‘game’ he’s proposing. So lock your bars, folks! These delhi guys are pretty crafty 😁
Ha! I've seen the treasure room as well so I'm out of this game :)
Let's just say that every jazz CD worth owning is in that room

I bought a cd transport a year or so ago (and then sold it)..I realised then, it's difficult and expensive owning jazz records especially if you live in India and mixing it up a bit might be a good idea. Pilak's supply of cds was dwindling at the time and I didn't want to order from abroad..I bought a few that I liked and the cd choices depleted quick at the time..

My bad luck, and it seems like he has since got a good and reasonably large batch of Jazz cds and most of them I last checked still were available..some great gems there..

LOL!
I had the pleasure of hosting @goget for a listening session a few months ago. Needless to say, he has all the answers to the ‘game’ he’s proposing. So lock your bars, folks! These delhi guys are pretty crafty 😁
I will give the single malt not get it -just to clarify again. COALTRAINs got it wrong or is kidding - his CD collection is surely awesome and I got to hear a few CDs and was mesmerised more by the speaker system and the tube amp in the living room so forgot to have a good look at the CD collection kept in the other room his study... will take better look next time ...like to build up a similar collection over time. Thanks indeed for hosting me Coaltrain .Cheers.

I bought a cd transport a year or so ago (and then sold it)..I realised then, it's difficult and expensive owning jazz records especially if you live in India and mixing it up a bit might be a good idea. Pilak's supply of cds was dwindling at the time and I didn't want to order from abroad..I bought a few that I liked and the cd choices depleted quick at the time..

My bad luck, and it seems like he has since got a good and reasonably large batch of Jazz cds and most of them I last checked still were available..some great gems there..
Thanks to Napster, Torrent and streaming, brick and mortar music stores have been beaten to a pulp. 20 years ago, B’lore had Landmark, Musicworld, Planet M and Habitat. B’bay had Rhythm House. London had Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. New York had J & R off Wall Street. All gone.
Fortunately, for those of us willing to pay for physical media, online stores are still going strong. And the pricing, especially for mainstream CDs, is very competitive. Also, as people rip their CDs and get rid of them completely, the second-hand market offers some incredible bargains. On the flip side, the best online stores are abroad.
For anyone starting a CD collection today, your best bet is to buy from Amazon US or UK and ship them to friends and family who can carry them to India. Customs duty on inbound parcels, and Amazon India’s insane prices, means we’ll never again see stickers like the ones below.

BFC3F376-90C3-4933-BD82-9944B4B3B611.jpeg

Hey All,

Anyone is interested in todays Monty Alexander concert NCPA mumbai ticket ? The concert is at 6.30 pm.

I do have a spare.

Let me know.

Not sure if this belongs to the classified section or not. I am not selling this ticket. I am going and happen to have a spare.

Manek

Wonderful gesture, @manek !
Monty Alexander at NCPA would’ve been a no-brainer if I was in B’bay. I must admit I’ve turned a bit green :)
Hope you have a great time, and do report back on the show.

I will for sure.
Sorry guys, could not make it to the concert due to a family exigency.

Anyone who attended could you please put down your thoughts ?

I was told it was fabulous and also mostly acoustic(little or no amplification, thats how it should be at Tata Theatre) so sound quality would have been very good too.

Sorry guys, could not make it to the concert due to a family exigency.

Anyone who attended could you please put down your thoughts ?

I was told it was fabulous and also mostly acoustic(little or no amplification, thats how it should be at Tata Theatre) so sound quality would have been very good too.
The last jazz fest I attended at the NCPA Tata Theatre was an unmitigated disaster, sound-wise. They employed amplification and it was baaaad. I'm guessing their staff don't understand miking, optimal loudness level, etc., since performances there are predominantly unmiked. In contrast, St Andrew's Auditorium in Bandra West have a great PA system. It used to be a pleasure attending the rare jazz concerts there.

Hi. I'm not very good at discovering new jazz musicians, mainly because there's so much from my favourite artistes that I've not yet heard. But every once in a while someone new pops into my streamer. Here's one that I thoroughly enjoyed - talented, laid back, immensely likeable:

Helio Alves also features on this brilliant album by Brazilian guitarist Romero Lobambo 'Broken Symmetries, Inc.'

Jazzheads love to debate Weather Report: Are they really jazz? Was Miroslav a better fit than Jaco? Why was Zawinul so controlling?
Frankly, I don’t care. WR always made some cool sounds that you’d never hear on any other album, irrespective of genre. And I love them for that.

0976C921-2ACD-4CFA-941B-F9520A2D4A73.jpeg5A3F622A-D57D-437B-A0CF-615D4508BBF9.jpeg0C2DD6B5-43BC-4318-A89A-05297C639568.jpeg

Jazzheads love to debate Weather Report: Are they really jazz? Was Miroslav a better fit than Jaco? Why was Zawinul so controlling?
Frankly, I don’t care. WR always made some cool sounds that you’d never hear on any other album, irrespective of genre. And I love them
What, no 'Sporting Life'???

About the band, who can argue - pioneering sound, iconic composer (Zawinul). an anthem like Birdland and a bassist (Jaco) who changed the way people think of bass and had Fender name a guitar after him.

My favorite song remains 'A Remark You Made' from 'Heavy Weather' :)

The last jazz fest I attended at the NCPA Tata Theatre was an unmitigated disaster, sound-wise. They employed amplification and it was baaaad. I'm guessing their staff don't understand miking, optimal loudness level, etc., since performances there are predominantly unmiked. In contrast, St Andrew's Auditorium in Bandra West have a great PA system. It used to be a pleasure attending the rare jazz concerts there.
Actually NCPA guys do a good job. They also have a good recording facility in the Tata Theatre. Proof of that is the Tata Experimental which has a good sound system and i have heard some really good concerts there.

I’ll tell you who really screw it up….its the guys from outside who come as crew with performers and mostly have their console placed back row center and third party speakers. Every concert I have attended with such a setup has been a disaster.

One more screw up I know was at the JBT at the same complex where the SOI was playing broadway and west-end hits accompanied with the singers. The orchestra wasnt miked. The two singers were. We were just not able to hear the male singer at all on the left for the whole concert. Imagine that ! When I wrote to them they said they were surprised and would look into it. Then post that we had the Gary Lawyer concert debacle. Poor Gary. He deserved better !

Manek

What, no 'Sporting Life'???
Well spotted, mate! :) Yep, I need to get that one along with one of their live albums.

My favorite song remains 'A Remark You Made' from 'Heavy Weather'
That’s one of my favourites, too. Gorgeous tone from Shorter.
I’ve also got a soft spot for Domino Theory, the first WR album I ever heard back in college. Blue Sound - Note 3 is a total head trip.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back