All That Jazz ...

Listening to some scat after ages :)

Do you consider SCAT, JAZZ? What do you think?
Sure, but for me its part of a jazz performance and should be a small part. Dont like it when it dominates the performance. Its just becomes too much of a good thing. Thats my take as lyrics come first for me in a song. So The artists who scat more than sing ❌.

But Ella and Pops did it so eloquently. Just right and never overdone. Clark terry and mumbles still gives me a chuckle.

Listening to some scat after ages :)

Do you consider SCAT, JAZZ? What do you think?
One of my favorites in that category.

GryVnunl.jpeg

Pops and Ella and a host of others like Clark Terry Mumbles did it. Chet Baker also. Been employed in jazz singing for ages and also playing. 😀

My favourite scat singer has always been George Benson. When he scats in unison with his sinuous guitar lines, it’s breathtaking. Almost like an entirely new instrument in the mix. Below is an example.

One of my favorites in that category.

GryVnunl.jpeg
And there's this other fantastic album 'Jon Hendricks and Friends' which includes an absolutely amazing performance of Miles's Freddie Freeloader - super lyrics to match the solos sung with breathtaking skill by Hendricks, Al Jarreau, George Benson and Bobby Mcferrin

Yes, Diana Krall is always giving you sonic lapdances and coochicooing in your ear. This Bill Evans record, you are a part of the club and all its goings on. Not drawing any comparisons between the two artists. Such a classic album.
View attachment 73772
There's a beautiful rendition of Waltz for Debby by Evans with Cannonball. Worth a listen and a compare. There's a lot written about this composition - is it really a waltz?, etc.
Among his best albums is Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Want to get hold of a vinyl of this.

My favourite scat singer has always been George Benson. When he scats in unison with his sinuous guitar lines, it’s breathtaking. Almost like an entirely new instrument in the mix. Below is an example.

Oh I'm such a big fan too. It's unfortunate that he moved to more commercial music later. Didn't they recognise his amazing guitar and singing skills?

Oh I'm such a big fan too. It's unfortunate that he moved to more commercial music later. Didn't they recognise his amazing guitar and singing skills?
I’m guessing that, post the success of Breezin’, Benson himself would have chosen the pop path. Disco had taken over the late 70s scene and jazz was barely alive in the early 80s.
By the way, do check out this album from 2011. On cuts like Naima, you can hear the old George.

A2FCCBE1-F5A8-49DC-9E0D-B32909DD4C2F.jpegDF86C2E9-5E16-4A59-BBA4-76BF597D7DB7.jpeg

There's a beautiful rendition of Waltz for Debby by Evans with Cannonball. Worth a listen and a compare. There's a lot written about this composition - is it really a waltz?, etc.
Among his best albums is Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Want to get hold of a vinyl of this.
Must check that rendition out. Can't believe I haven't so far because I like Cannonball's style.
Yes, I have Sunday at the village and Portraits of jazz both on waxtime. They don't sound too shabby but need to change that sometime in the future.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back