All That Jazz ...

Anyone else in Bangalore going for the Echoes of Earth music festival? Excited to see the Yussef Dayes Experience! One of the biggest names in the current London jazz scene.

What? Where? When? How?
It‘s pretty dark here under this rock @acemachine26 !
Please to shed some light :)
It's taking place on the 3rd and 4th (this weekend) at Embassy International Riding School, Bangalore. Here's the lineup:

pPhAQ3k.jpg

Stumbled upon Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin' yesterday, from there discovered Hank Mobley. I have heard their names on this thread a few times, and have heard some songs too, but never did I sat down to "listen" to them.

View attachment 73414

View attachment 73415
@chander
You’ve got really lucky with two fantastic albums that would definitely be in my Top 20 Blue Note albums list :)
May I also recommend:
Sonny Clark - Dial S For Sonny
Hank Mobley - Workout and No Room For Squares
Pretty sure you’ll like them, too.

Hey! Any thoughts or insights on why Tutu is a Miles Davis album and not Marcus Miller's?

Watch this magical performance by Miles.....maybe therein lies the answer (Please click on the 'Watch on YouTube' link)

Hey! Any thoughts or insights on why Tutu is a Miles Davis album and not Marcus Miller's?
‘Coz Miles was the Prince of Darkness while Marcus was merely a page boy :)
Three of the four albums below were almost entirely put together by Miller. At least Siesta has his name on the cover. I guess Warner was savvy enough to know which name would sell.
Btw, Aura was an homage to Miles created entirely by Palle Mikkelborg, where the former was invited to participate. (along with NHOP, John McLaughlin and others)

71835FBC-1C55-4D3E-AF08-D777660E41D2.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation. Listening to this album right now.

the-yussef-dayes-experience-live-at-joshua-tree.jpg

Nice! There's actual footage from this concert:

His collaborative album with Kamaal Williams on the keys (they had a band called Yussef Kamaal) is called Black Focus and it's considered one of the cornerstones of the modern London jazz sound.

Some great South African jazz to start this gloomy Saturday. On the left is Yakhal’ Inkomo by the Mankunku Quartet led by Winston Mankunku Ngozi who has a Coltrane-esque tone. Some really tasteful hard bop and modal jazz with some cape jazz influences. On the right is Louis Moholo's Spirits Rejoice. Louis was the drummer of the legendary South African free jazz band The Blue Notes. Here he performs with an octet and as the album title suggests, this is some of the most joyful free jazz mixed with cape jazz.

9c6obqqk115a1.jpg

renderTimingPixel.png

For a recent train journey, I downloaded 10 albums from my CD/LP collection on spotify as the internet connection was patchy. Surprisingly, I found these to be generally the ones most played on my system. Here goes in no particular order:
1670752142963.png
1670752311778.png
1670752407022.png
1670752980236.png

1670752667903.png
1670753065073.png
1670753192843.png
1670753272444.png1670753406516.png
1670753858501.png

Attachments

• 1670752859860.png
    1670752859860.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1670752780991.png
    1670752780991.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1670752580410.png
    1670752580410.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 0

The Best Jazz Albums of 2022​

Interesting list. Haven't heard any of these apart from the Mary Halvorson which I quite liked. Here are a few other favorites from this year that aren't featured on the list:
Makaya McCraven - In These Times
Comet is Coming - Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam
Nduduzo Makhathini - In the Spirit of Ntu
Binker and Moses - Feeding the Machine
Kokoroko - Could We Be More
Akira Sakata & Takeo Moriyama - Mitochondria

I get recommendations from Bandcamp, RateYourMusic, Spotify, Youtube, Music Subreddits, Hoffman Forums and folks on Instagram.
As the Yanks would say, “thank you for your service!” :)
Please do keep your recommendations coming.

Here‘s my last batch of J Jazz albums for the year:
Ryo Fukui - Scenery and Mellow Dream
I got hooked on this pianist after my very first listen to his Live at Vidro album. His playing is an effortless flow of cascading ideas that can keep one transfixed for hours. If Monk is at the angular end of the scale, Fukui would be at the melodic end.

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto - The In Crowd
One of three live albums recorded in December ‘74 at the Misty jazz club in Tokyo. Definitely a more raucous affair than the Midnight Sugar album that all TBM fans have heard.

Terumasa Hino - Spark
Hino is a trumpeter who sounds exactly like Freddie Hubbard; except when he sounds exactly like Miles! This is an energetic album with a whole bunch of guys on synth, electric bass and percussion. The last includes Don Alias.

Masao Nakajima - Kemo-Sabe
Thanks to @Nikhil for this great recommendation. The pianist leads a classic quartet that features Donald Bailey on drums. It’s a wonderful mix of hard bop and modal jazz.

95457A72-978C-46A1-B5D0-EE4C21AB6D73.jpeg

Couldn't find the CD anywhere , nor in a streaming platform. Guthrie Govan is in top form here and straddles jazz easily.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back