All That Jazz ...

“Jazz and communist East Germany seem unlikely bedfellows. Yet in 1965 Louis Armstrong became the first American entertainer to play jazz there at the height of the Cold War. East Germans celebrated Armstrong, and his visit became a propaganda victory for East Germany, helping it to boost its reputation in the wake of its oppressive government building the Berlin Wall in 1961. On his brief and only tour through East Germany Armstrong played to packed houses. His popularity surprised the authorities very much considering not one record of him was available before 1965 and one's passion for the music could land you in prison. Kevin Le Gendre peeks through the former Iron Curtain to discover the dangers jazz lovers faced to pave the way for these legendary concerts to happen. He speaks to jazz journalist Karlheinz Drechsel who first risked his career for jazz but then had the privilege to accompany Louis Armstrong on the tour and announce his concerts. He tells Kevin what it was like meeting Louis Armstrong. Armstrong not only had to navigate political sensitivities on the Cold War front between East and West, but also on the home front in the US, when questioned about the Civil Rights Movement, which was at its peak. With contributions from journalists Siegfried Schmidt-Joos and Leslie Colitt, the jazz fan Volker Stiehler, jazz journalist Detlef Ott, authors Ricky Riccardi and Stephan Schulz, pianist Ulrich Gumpert, and Roland Trisch, who worked at East Germany’s Artists Agency, which enabled Louis Armstrong’s tour. Archive material of the Selma to Montgomery march in Alabama on 7 March 1965 is courtesy of the Robert H Jackson Center.”
Armstrong played/toured Europe in the early 30’s and also after the war so good chance people would know him or know of him from then. Plus the official US, UK and other Allied propaganda radio stations and some underground ones would and could be caught in many parts of western Europe before, during and after the war so banning sale of his records really didnt really fix anything 😂

I’ve heard similar stories with respect to jazz in the USSR. Freedom of thought and expression were not the calling cards of communism, I guess.
BTW, the mention of Selma reminded me of this incredible track from Grant Green’s ‘His Majesty King Funk’. Harold Vick is on tenor:

BTW In the mid-late 80’s I have heard USSR Jazz groups live performing in Mumbai at Flora Fountain and Gateway of India and sponsored by their consulate. So they had groups and played the music but under very controlled conditions.

ab67616d0000b273530dbc1380b4a02e04b6c8b0

There is something about Oscar Peterson's playing style in these albums (circa 1959)
He is obviously younger but the style is more relaxed and composed IMO.

ab67616d0000b273e4cc07db2176e75cb63f1c75

But they say he was at his peak in the 70’s and 80’s. I just love him across his repertoire….even when he was playing essentially right handed only. His concert in Vienna live is awesome.

Quincy Troupe‘s biography of Miles is a treasure trove of amazing jazz anecdotes. Occasionally, while listening to Miles’ music, I’ll pull the book off the shelf to get a sense of what was going on behind the scenes.
This is an old video but not one I’ve seen before. Some more interesting insights here.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back