All That Jazz ...

Late evening listening ...

the-red-garland-quintet-soul-junction-Cover-Art.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed this Miles Davis piece. It is unlike others that I have heard.

View attachment 75973
Concierto de Aranjuez has a rich and contested history. Originally composed as a concerto for classical guitar by Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo in 1939, Miles, in the company of Gil Evans reinterpreted the second movement of this piece on Sketches of Spain in 1960. Apparently Columbia records did not seek permission from Joaquin to use his composition and that led to some acrimony. He tried to block all jazz and pop recordings of his composition but eventually gave up when he realized that all these interpretations actually helped popularize Concierto beyond the reach of a classical piece!
Joaquin himself described Paco de Lucia's version as the most brilliant version he had heard.

I personally like Jim Hall's version the most:

The original classical piece is also very cool.
While the Jim Hall version is gentle and soothing, the set I have is truly bombastic. Turn the volume up to hear the quiet guitar parts, and you’ll be knocked over when the orchestra enters! No idea which is the definitive classical version, though.

D8CEDF7B-1107-486C-AFA0-BA2440704ED0.jpeg

Listening to some Japanese jazz fusion.

IMG_20230323_092018_317.jpg

Casiopea - s/t (1979)

This is the self-titled debut by a band of virtuosos not unlike Mahavishnu Orchestra, except that they go for a lighter/breezier style of fusion that veers into city pop territory. With a horn section consisting of the Brecker bros and David Sanborn, this band is as tight as it gets.

Ryo Kawasaki - Juice (1976)

This is a synth heavy fusion/jazz-funk record from a synth pioneer who created the Kawasaki Synthesizer for the Commodore 64. One of his earliest records after moving to New York, Juice also features some tasteful guitar work and is just super fun throughout.

Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Funky Stuff (1974)

As the title suggests, this is some smooth funky stuff. Most of the compositions are written by Hiromasa Suzuki who also plays the rhodes while they also cover tracks by The Jazz Crusaders and Kool & the Gang.

Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High (1977)

One of the early classics by the prolific and always smiling Takanaka. Just like the Casiopea, this has elements of city pop too and is just joyful, head bopping music which is his bread and butter.

Last edited:
Listening to some Japanese jazz fusion.

View attachment 75999

Casiopea - s/t (1979)

This is the self-titled debut by a band of virtuosos not unlike Mahavishnu Orchestra, except that they go for a lighter/breezier style of fusion that veers into city pop territory. With a horn section consisting of the Brecker bros and David Sanborn, this band is as tight as it gets.

Ryo Kawasaki - Juice (1976)

This is a synth heavy fusion/jazz-funk record from a synth pioneer who created the Kawasaki Synthesizer for the Commodore 64. One of his earliest records after moving to New York, Juice also features some tasteful guitar work and is just super fun throughout.

Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Funky Stuff (1974)

As the title suggests, this is some smooth funky stuff. Most of the compositions are written by Hiromasa Suzuki who also plays the rhodes while they also cover tracks by The Jazz Crusaders and Kool & the Gang.

Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High (1977)

One of the early classics by the prolific and always smiling Takanaka. Just like the Casiopea, this has elements of city pop too and is just joyful, head bopping music which is his bread and butter.

I love Masayoshi Takanaka's cover of Breezin (George Benson) .. He has a very distinct guitar sound...

I love Masayoshi Takanaka's cover of Breezin (George Benson) .. He has a very distinct guitar sound...
Yes, he's one of my favorite guitarists. He has a streak of solid record right from his debut in 1976 till the mid 80s. Rainbow Goblins, Brasilian Skies, Jolly Jive etc are all classics.

Long post warning, do bear with me...

I've been spending quite some time in the recent past diving into the Japanese jazz rabbit hole, collecting albums I like the most on physical media. For me they've fallen into two categories-

a) Funky jazz or rock-jazz fusion. The type of music that you can either chill to or get up and shake a leg!

b) Focused hard bop/post bop/modal/bluesy-jazz sessions that demand your undivided attention. Sit down at the sweet spot on the couch and do nothing else but listen and absorb

Looking beyond the 3 biggest selling TBM albums (Blow-up, Misty and Midnight Sugar, each one an audiophile's dream ), here are my current 9-10 most spun albums spanning both groups, in no particular order.

For reasons posted here:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/all-that-jazz.69537/post-991584

and a deeply personal bias, Hiroshi Suzuki's Cat sits right at the top! So let me get started with all that follows in it's wake.

Masaru Imada Trio - Green Caterpillar

C8C23D6E-BE8B-47C3-B807-6EDACA8C7821.jpeg
A hugely popular album, I could easily put this in both groups as it's an album of 2 parts. Starts out with two incredibly catchy, foot tapping funky numbers on side A. Side B switches tempo to a focused hard bop composition in Blue Impulse - I love Kazumi Watanabe's playing here (one of TBM's most prolific session guitarist). Side B ends with easily the best and most intense number, Spanish Flower. At the start, you get lulled into thinking this is a soothing piano piece to wind down the album, you're dead wrong! A slow yet powerful build up that suddenly switches into high gear when bass, drums, cymbals et all arrive to kick you in the gut.

Hiroshi Fukumura Quintet - Morning Flight

9ABD56A5-4E1B-4889-AB51-5C577EF7D7C8.jpeg
Maybe I'm partial to Japanese trombonists and this album has two of them! However this is far from just another blowing session. Sophisticated composition with plenty of space for all the players, the first side has my favorite song of the album, Imagination Opus - a delectable slow burner that literally drips gooey dark chocolate along the way. You have to listen to this number to understand that imagery! A close second is the rendition of Mancini's Soldier in the rain - slow and powerful build up with piano getting a big say between the two horns. In fact, I think this album is my current favorite of all the Jap jazz I own, it's that good.

Masaru Imada - Piko

313ED95F-1F75-45FB-91B0-38C06B7BF541.jpeg
A later day Masaru Imada album, almost polar opposite to Green Caterpillar. Pared down to just Imada on his piano, this album gives me strong Mal Waldron vibes (listen to Mal Waldron's All Alone to hear what I mean). A soothing set of lyrical compositions, Imada frequently proves that he doesn't need a rhythm section. In fact his piano doubles as both rhythm and lead on songs like Spring March. A highly enjoyable late night listen.

Orang-utan - Isao Suzuki Quartet

9B5F4136-B564-4A1E-AF81-B24DA638D794.jpeg
True to every Isao Suzuki album, this one will also explore the limits of your system's bass handling capacity! I'm not talking wall shaking, wake up the neighbors thump - more like "did you hear the difference in tone between each pluck on the acoustic bass?" or "the air in my lungs is vibrating in tune with that Cello!"
Beyond such ear opening sounds, this album travels all over the sound scape from menacing bass to guitar virtuosity ( I can't get enough of Kasumi Watanabe) to a soulful vocal number and then organized chaos on the 15 minute long Orang-utan! High up on my focused listening list because it demands so much of your attention.

Toki - Hidefumi Toki Quartet

8667154D-101F-4746-B1F1-D10E2B69D286.jpeg
Starts out as a full blown hard bop session before heading into more downtempo bluesy numbers on side B.
Toki gets into it with high energy on the first song, an extended soprano sax solo on Lullaby for the girl, followed by Kasumi Watanabe on guitar who channels his inner Grant Green.
There's a change in pace with a downtempo number on alto sax next in Darkness.
The highlight is an accomplished take on an Ornette Coleman standard, Blues Connotation. You can hear the quartet egging each other on and having a blast.

Black Orpheus - Isao Suzuki Trio

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNQks70yqr0

ECD9B6BF-FDCB-44AC-A5BD-D1CC7814F115.jpeg
Beautiful sparse set, with the typically powerful bass of Isao suzuki being front-center. Tsuyoshi Yamamoto on acoustic piano and fender Rhodes provides a soothing counterpoint, but bass is clearly the leader here. Each of trio get enough elbow room to flex on this fabulous recording.

Blue City - Isao Suzuki Quartet + 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPftI9_QIw

0A200610-F7D3-41BE-85C2-077E44408FD1.jpeg
This album is all about Kasumi Watanabe's virtuosity. He gets ample space to flex his guitar chops on both sides and that gives a happy counter point to the intense, forbidding and sometimes hard to stomach cello or bass strumming by Isao Suzuki. He tries scatting along to the cello for a bit, instead of sounding like he's having fun, it sounds twice as menacing!

African Rock - Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes

https://open.spotify.com/album/0hENFTO7IGtFerjgjuUcbt?si=Y1gexk6UR1qNMzHP81XSKg

58B6DBBE-F0B5-439D-BE34-12DFC7BA2DB2.jpeg
This is by far drummer/composer Akira Ishikawa's most popular album and copies of this record disappear off the shelves everytime a reissue shows up.
A combination of African drum beats, jazz, funk and rock, this concept album is a thrilling listen beginning to end. A constant throughout the set is Ishikawa's strong sense of musicality. You owe yourself a listen all the way through if you haven't heard this album before. Highlights for me are the sheer joy of Animals and tight rhythm of The Earth

Funky Stuff - Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media

C54DFCF4-E5E8-40AE-B66E-EEB29CC81223.jpeg
Funky Stuff is the pinnacle of Jap jazz-funk for me. Nothing gets better that this album in this genre. Smooth, sophisticated funk beginning to end, you could easily be fooled into thinking you're hearing The Crusaders at their peak. Jiro Inagaki has acknowledged elsewhere the strong influence of The Crusaders on his music and it shows here in abundance. That doesn't mean this is a tribute album - far from it! Amongst the huge volume of largely mediocre Jap jazz-funk, Funky Stuff is a shining beacon.

Moon Ray - Yoshio Otomo Quartet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3ze4SSs_4

98354F49-C2C1-41D7-BB88-B4BC52446D01.jpeg
Yoshio Otomo is an accomplished alto sax player in the Jackie McLean mould. Here as a band leader and with Tsuyoshi Yamamoto in the rhythm section, you have a fine line up for a fine post bop album. Rich in the McLean-ish "tone", my favorite track is the only original composition of the set "Love comes quietly". Maximum feeling in every minute of that song, another frequent spin in my collection of Jap jazz.

Long post warning, do bear with me...

I've been spending quite some time in the recent past diving into the Japanese jazz rabbit hole, collecting albums I like the most on physical media. For me they've fallen into two categories-

a) Funky jazz or rock-jazz fusion. The type of music that you can either chill to or get up and shake a leg!

b) Focused hard bop/post bop/modal/bluesy-jazz sessions that demand your undivided attention. Sit down at the sweet spot on the couch and do nothing else but listen and absorb

Looking beyond the 3 biggest selling TBM albums (Blow-up, Misty and Midnight Sugar, each one an audiophile's dream ), here are my current 9-10 most spun albums spanning both groups, in no particular order.

For reasons posted here:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/all-that-jazz.69537/post-991584

and a deeply personal bias, Hiroshi Suzuki's Cat sits right at the top! So let me get started with all that follows in it's wake.

Masaru Imada Trio - Green Caterpillar

View attachment 76022
A hugely popular album, I could easily put this in both groups as it's an album of 2 parts. Starts out with two incredibly catchy, foot tapping funky numbers on side A. Side B switches tempo to a focused hard bop composition in Blue Impulse - I love Kazumi Watanabe's playing here (one of TBM's most prolific session guitarist). Side B ends with easily the best and most intense number, Spanish Flower. At the start, you get lulled into thinking this is a soothing piano piece to wind down the album, you're dead wrong! A slow yet powerful build up that suddenly switches into high gear when bass, drums, cymbals et all arrive to kick you in the gut.

Hiroshi Fukumura Quintet - Morning Flight

View attachment 76023
Maybe I'm partial to Japanese trombonists and this album has two of them! However this is far from just another blowing session. Sophisticated composition with plenty of space for all the players, the first side has my favorite song of the album, Imagination Opus - a delectable slow burner that literally drips gooey dark chocolate along the way. You have to listen to this number to understand that imagery! A close second is the rendition of Mancini's Soldier in the rain - slow and powerful build up with piano getting a big say between the two horns. In fact, I think this album is my current favorite of all the Jap jazz I own, it's that good.

Masaru Imada - Piko

View attachment 76024
A later day Masaru Imada album, almost polar opposite to Green Caterpillar. Pared down to just Imada on his piano, this album gives me strong Mal Waldron vibes (listen to Mal Waldron's All Alone to hear what I mean). A soothing set of lyrical compositions, Imada frequently proves that he doesn't need a rhythm section. In fact his piano doubles as both rhythm and lead on songs like Spring March. A highly enjoyable late night listen.

Orang-utan - Isao Suzuki Quartet

View attachment 76025
True to every Isao Suzuki album, this one will also explore the limits of your system's bass handling capacity! I'm not talking wall shaking, wake up the neighbors thump - more like "did you hear the difference in tone between each pluck on the acoustic bass?" or "the air in my lungs is vibrating in tune with that Cello!"
Beyond such ear opening sounds, this album travels all over the sound scape from menacing bass to guitar virtuosity ( I can't get enough of Kasumi Watanabe) to a soulful vocal number and then organized chaos on the 15 minute long Orang-utan! High up on my focused listening list because it demands so much of your attention.

Toki - Hidefumi Toki Quartet

View attachment 76026
Starts out as a full blown hard bop session before heading into more downtempo bluesy numbers on side B.
Toki gets into it with high energy on the first song, an extended soprano sax solo on Lullaby for the girl, followed by Kasumi Watanabe on guitar who channels his inner Grant Green.
There's a change in pace with a downtempo number on alto sax next in Darkness.
The highlight is an accomplished take on an Ornette Coleman standard, Blues Connotation. You can hear the quartet egging each other on and having a blast.

Black Orpheus - Isao Suzuki Trio

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNQks70yqr0

View attachment 76027
Beautiful sparse set, with the typically powerful bass of Isao suzuki being front-center. Tsuyoshi Yamamoto on acoustic piano and fender Rhodes provides a soothing counterpoint, but bass is clearly the leader here. Each of trio get enough elbow room to flex on this fabulous recording.

Blue City - Isao Suzuki Quartet + 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPftI9_QIw

View attachment 76028
This album is all about Kasumi Watanabe's virtuosity. He gets ample space to flex his guitar chops on both sides and that gives a happy counter point to the intense, forbidding and sometimes hard to stomach cello or bass strumming by Isao Suzuki. He tries scatting along to the cello for a bit, instead of sounding like he's having fun, it sounds twice as menacing!

African Rock - Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes

https://open.spotify.com/album/0hENFTO7IGtFerjgjuUcbt?si=Y1gexk6UR1qNMzHP81XSKg

View attachment 76029
This is by far drummer/composer Akira Ishikawa's most popular album and copies of this record disappear off the shelves everytime a reissue shows up.
A combination of African drum beats, jazz, funk and rock, this concept album is a thrilling listen beginning to end. A constant throughout the set is Ishikawa's strong sense of musicality. You owe yourself a listen all the way through if you haven't heard this album before. Highlights for me are the sheer joy of Animals and tight rhythm of The Earth

Funky Stuff - Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media

View attachment 76030
Funky Stuff is the pinnacle of Jap jazz-funk for me. Nothing gets better that this album in this genre. Smooth, sophisticated funk beginning to end, you could easily be fooled into thinking you're hearing The Crusaders at their peak. Jiro Inagaki has acknowledged elsewhere the strong influence of The Crusaders on his music and it shows here in abundance. That doesn't mean this is a tribute album - far from it! Amongst the huge volume of largely mediocre Jap jazz-funk, Funky Stuff is a shining beacon.

Moon Ray - Yoshio Otomo Quartet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3ze4SSs_4

View attachment 76031
Yoshio Otomo is an accomplished alto sax player in the Jackie McLean mould. Here as a band leader and with Tsuyoshi Yamamoto in the rhythm section, you have a fine line up for a fine post bop album. Rich in the McLean-ish "tone", my favorite track is the only original composition of the set "Love comes quietly". Maximum feeling in every minute of that song, another frequent spin in my collection of Jap jazz.
Thanks @Jayant_S Am going to check these out at ease.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back