All That Jazz ...

Exploring Wayne Shorter furthur came across this unusual appearance of Carlos Santana in a Wayne Shorter Setting.

I've been spending quite some time in the recent past diving into the Japanese jazz rabbit hole, collecting albums I like the most on physical media. For me they've fallen into two categories-

a) Funky jazz or rock-jazz fusion. The type of music that you can either chill to or get up and shake a leg!

b) Focused hard bop/post bop/modal/bluesy-jazz sessions that demand your undivided attention. Sit down at the sweet spot on the couch and do nothing else but listen and absorb

Awesome Jayant! I had discovered Japanese Jazz a few years ago and I was amazed. Thanks for the recommendations some of which are already on this thread but your post is a great refresher/start for anyone looking to explore Japanese Jazz.

The Hiroshi Fukumura album is one of my favourites!
One of my outright favourites is (almost anything from) Tsuyoshi Yamamoto.
You can almost buy anything from these guys blind!

The original classical piece is also very cool.
While the Jim Hall version is gentle and soothing, the set I have is truly bombastic. Turn the volume up to hear the quiet guitar parts, and you’ll be knocked over when the orchestra enters! No idea which is the definitive classical version, though.

View attachment 75983

I forgot to thank you for this. I did not find the album on any of the streaming services but I ended up discovering a treasure trove of music that kept me engrossed for hours. Sublime stuff!

I forgot to thank you for this. I did not find the album on any of the streaming services but I ended up discovering a treasure trove of music that kept me engrossed for hours. Sublime stuff!
Most welcome, @Nikhil :)
Now, get ready for a twist in the tale - Concierto de Aranjuez meets avant-garde Japanese jazz!
The horns aren’t in oxyacetylene mode (a la Coltrane or Sanders), but it’s pretty potent stuff nevertheless. A totally unique take on the Concierto.

Friends, get this. It's a very good press with fantastic music from the quintet - Miles, Coltrane, Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Lee Jones

Legendary Prestige Quintet https://amzn.eu/d/94IPWem

My favourite bits are on Relaxin’.
At the beginning of the album, you can hear Miles’ raspy whisper, “I’ll play it first and tell you what it is later.”
At the end of the album, you can hear Coltrane asking, “Where’s the beer opener?”
Priceless! :)

My favourite bits are on Relaxin’.
At the beginning of the album, you can hear Miles’ raspy whisper, “I’ll play it first and tell you what it is later.”
At the end of the album, you can hear Coltrane asking, “Where’s the beer opener?”
Priceless! :)
That whispered comment - the sidemen were expected to know the song from the first few notes. They were rarely told the song name!

Friends, get this. It's a very good press with fantastic music from the quintet - Miles, Coltrane, Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Lee Jones

Legendary Prestige Quintet https://amzn.eu/d/94IPWem
Alas ,shows out of stock. But the hi res versions in Qobuz are surprisingly very enjoyable .

An interesting take on why we gravitate towards certain musical genres.
Some food for thought here.

Yes, definitely Food for Thought!
Jazz, though, is so broad in it's range, each genre emphasizing a particular spectral signature. If one is attentive to improvisation, isn't that an aspect of Melody? And Blues, for example, have a fairly simple Harmonic signature (3 or 4 chords at most) but the blue notes used in the Melody and the syncopation (Rhythmic characteristic?) appear dominant.
Interesting indeed! Thanks for posting

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back