All That Jazz ...

Superb recommendation from @sameer kumar!

EDN1214_KeysToTheKingdom_Packshot_3-Digitalpackshot.jpg

Superb recommendation from @sameer kumar!
First heard Potter on Dan’s Two Against Nature and have been following him ever since. This could be the album to finally get.

Here’s something to brighten up a lazy Sunday afternoon: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
If you liked Cab Calloway’s Minnie the Moocher in The Blues Brothers, or Jim Carrey’s insane dance in The Mask, you’ll love this. Neo Swing at its best.

IMG_1408.jpeg

Listening to Kenny Garrett - Songbook on apple music. The tracks are tuneful, so me thinks, these tracks will be understood by those who don't understand Jazz. I especially liked "Sing a Song of Song"
image.png

First heard of Dorothy Ashby a few days back through a Ken Micallef video showcasing a recent release of her vinyl box set.
The harp in a jazz setting can sit so well with the swing. The flute also is very centre stage here. I havent heard too much Alice Coltrane.Have been thoroughly enjoying this album multiple evenings now.

Last edited:
Witches Stew - Lettuce. A funk/jazz tribute to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. Personally, I found it outstanding.

It is interesting, and definitely sounds like a Miles Davis take. Not sure it's something I'd get though.

And yes, I have Bitches Brew; it's one of my favorite Miles Davis albums.

Speaking of Bitches Brew, I have these two releases....

Miles Davis Bitches Brew.jpg
On the left is the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACD version. On the right, is the Japanese Sony Blu-Spec version.

While I love the Mo-Fi SACD in its paper sleeved LP facsimile, and why I buy them, I actually think the Blu-Spec version sounds better, especially where the bass notes are, and especially on the track Bitches Brew where Dave Hollands bass is more pronounced. That said, that observation is based on the 2-channel layer as I do not own an SACD player, so I can not judge there.

That said, these Mo-Fi releases are beautifully packaged, and why I absolutely had to have this one. Also, that I love the Bitches Brew album (CD).

A new discovery for me. Very much in the Bud Powell mould, but much more than a copy of Bud. First two albums of Elmo Hope, released in 1953-54. Thoroughly enjoyable hard bop
Superb find, Jayant! Two of his best (and earliest) albums.

Just arrived in the post from Japan!
If you spot any interesting albums in there, do share :)

Currently listening to Miles Davis Kind Of Blue. While Get Up With It and Bitches Brew are my favorite "Electric" Miles albums (CDs), Kind Of Blue is my favorite "Acoustic" Miles CD....

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue - MoFi.jpg

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back