All That Jazz ...

Konichiwa, J Jazz fans!
My latest haul has just come in and here are some brief notes on each:
  • Despite the faux Miles Davis logo, Hino is more like Hubbard on open trumpet. The Miles influence shows when he switches to mute. Either way, he’s an energetic player and all three albums are a happy mix of acoustic and electric instruments.
  • Tenor saxophonist Uematsu’s Straight Ahead is anything but. Classic J Jazz fusion with a cool take on Coltrane’s Afro Blue.
IMG_1575.jpeg

• I opted for Vol. 2 of J Jazz as it’s a double album for the same price as the single disc Vol. 1. What can I say; I’m a cheap guy! Contains an amazing cross section of different styles.
  • Planets is classic Imada with the addition of some great percussion on one track.
  • Tachibana is a masterpiece! A bunch of college students are invited to record an album at the home studio of a jazz aficionado. What follows is an outstanding session of searing post bop, reminiscent of Coltrane’s fiery Live at Birdland. Pianist Tohru Aizuwa leads his cohort of brilliant classmates through a blistering set of originals and a Chick Corea classic. What a pity that he gave up jazz to become a doctor!
  • Date in Daté is a live trio recording of standards in the best TBM tradition.
IMG_1577.jpeg

• Sunrise/Sunset was a blind buy as I couldn’t find sound clips anywhere. But Isoo Fukui was the bassist on Green Caterpillar, so I took a chance. Man, did I luck out! Fantastic album of classic J Jazz funk with electric guitar and vibes in the mix.
  • An avant-garde J Jazz take on Concierto de Aranjuez? Yes, please!
  • Wada isn’t Green, Burrell or Benson; but with Suzuki and Imada on board, who cares? Bluesy jazz at its finest.
  • Alphonse Mouzon, George Cables, Steve Grossman and others join bassist Nakamura to create some hard hitting jazz fusion. Not your typical TBM fare.
IMG_1560.jpeg

• Toki features an unusual quartet of sax, guitar, bass and drums, and it works really well.
  • Fusion, avant-garde, post bop; it’s all there on keyboardist Kikuchi’s album.
  • Mongolian Chant is nothing like Suzuki’s other albums for TBM. Not exactly fusion, and not really world music, it’s simply a fun record. Touch, on the other hand, is a more conventional date.
IMG_1562.jpeg
  • Check out this lineup: John Abercrombie on guitar, Miroslav Vitous on bass, Nana Vasconcelos on percussion, Steve Grossman on sax and Masabumi Kikuchi on keyboards. Drummer Ohtsuka delivers a unique take on jazz fusion.
  • The companion album to Rock Joint Biwa (mentioned in an earlier post), Cither is a misspelling of Sitar. No, this isn’t a Shakti soundalike; it’s just great jazz funk fusion.
  • Finally, two lesser known albums. The Blue Note has an unusual front line of trombone and baritone sax, giving the record a deep cavernous sound you’ll rarely find elsewhere. Very appealing! The CTI was Hubbard’s swan song for the label. Not essential, but still… it’s Freddie :)
IMG_1576.jpeg

Konnichiwa, coaltrain.

What a wonderful selection! We people in the cheaper seats can only clap hands in admiration and hope to find these on qobuz (while you rattle the cd jewel boxes ;))
I love the way you describe and pick out nuances of each album. Invokes so much more interest than a mere 'this is what I'm listening to'

Enjoy!

Domo arigato, 50/50 and Jayant :)
Some of these albums are pretty hard to track down, not to mention expensive as well, especially on vinyl. Figured that a quick synopsis of each would help others narrow their search.
Note: quite a few of these albums can be sampled on YouTube.

Some of these albums are pretty hard to track down, not to mention expensive as well, especially on vinyl
I've given up on vinyl long time ago. CDs or streaming the only way to go with these albums. So everytime a post turns up with one of you guys showing off a TBM or J Jazz record/CD, I turn green with envy :D

As a flautist myself, Toshiaki Yokota is someone that I've been utterly fascinated with for years. An artist that was steeped in the Japanese underground, playing short stints in some of the scene's most innovative bands like Takeshi Inomata & Sound Limited and Love Live Life while also spearheading various outfits throughout the 70s.
Among the groups that he led, featured here are two that highlight Yokota at his creative peak; 'Flute Adventure: le Soleil était encore chaud' (1970) with his Beat Generation band, half of which is a suite inspired by an Arthur Rimbaud poem. And his other group Primitive Community's self-titled date from a year later, their only recording.
Cut from the same cloth as Akira Ishikawa's African Rock, Hiromasa Suzuki's Rock Joint Biwa and People's Ceremony: Buddha Meet Rock, this is more of that brain-scorching, acid psych / jazz-rock with some African tribal elements too. Yokota's trippy woodwind work along with Kimio Mizutani's fuzzy guitar riffs are just a match made in heaven. Add to that heavy doses of percussion, Hare Krishna chants and tribal spoken word sections and you have a total freakout experience.
Back when I first discovered these gems, the only way to listen to them were vinyl rips on YouTube or digital downloads from obscure music blogs. To say that I'm thrilled to finally own these on vinyl would be a massive understatement.

254898117572.jpg

I guess I've posted this before but believe this deserves a repost because it is such a wonderful resource for jazz lovers.

When you subscribe to Jazz on the Tube you receive an email every day highlighting a jazz musician's work accompanied by notes on the featured music and artist. Great selections often leading us to artistes we haven't kept track of. ITS FREE :)

Here are a few of their recent posts:
https://jazzonthetube.com/video/stardust-1967/
https://jazzonthetube.com/video/meditations-on-integration-2/
https://jazzonthetube.com/video/remembering-peter-brotzmann/

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back