All That Jazz ...

First heard Potter on Dan’s Two Against Nature and have been following him ever since. This could be the album to finally get.

Here’s something to brighten up a lazy Sunday afternoon: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
If you liked Cab Calloway’s Minnie the Moocher in The Blues Brothers, or Jim Carrey’s insane dance in The Mask, you’ll love this. Neo Swing at its best.

View attachment 77429

Thanks Coaltrain ..Superb recommendation . Sounds crazy on my Open baffles…. brightened up my Sunday afternoon too👍

Joe McPhee - Nation Time (1971): Stellar avant-garde jazz/free funk live recording

renderTimingPixel.png

IMG_20230709_110117_343.jpg

Last edited:
While it’s nice to see a saree gracing the cover of Downbeat, I’m a bit miffed to see Alice Coltrane getting the nod while the likes of Bobby Hutcherson, Kenny Burrell and John McLaughlin are still waiting in the wings.

IMG_2794.jpeg

View attachment 57537Lee Morgan The Rajah recorded mid 60s and released posthumously in the mid 80s. The tonepoet release (that I can't afford) recently, peaked my interest in this album. The album opener 'The Pilgrims Funny Farm" is a song by Cal Massey (once again) and is a stand out for me though there are multiple other great tunes on the album.

The funny bit is the liner notes and here are some excerpts " Mobley levitates above the swaying elephant beat, Morgan the head Mahout, prods, punches and trills...Walton shows he has bathed in the holy, blues waters. Lee and Hank Mobley trade choruses that will heat up the inside of your turban". Besides these lines, I don't see any other Indian connection at all in the playing.
Love that record. Speaking of Cedar Walton, his albums with Eastern Rebellion are great. I keep returning to the first one in the series quite often. Billy Higgins joins him on this record too.

IMG_20221115_224501_206.jpg

Just what the Pastor ordered!

There was the Basie stable and Elingtonian musicians but also Ray Charles's former entourage (with David Newman and Don Wilkerson and unbeknown to me there are so many more musicians).

Simple old school classic blues and soul music here. The whole album seems so tight knit, it's hard for me to have a favourite here. Glad i dont get up to shift the needle. Grant Green with nice guitars and a tambourine too. 20230802_202123.jpg

Just what the Pastor ordered!

There was the Basie stable and Elingtonian musicians but also Ray Charles's former entourage (with David Newman and Don Wilkerson and unbeknown to me there are so many more musicians).

Simple old school classic blues and soul music here. The whole album seems so tight knit, it's hard for me to have a favourite here. Glad i dont get up to shift the needle. Grant Green with nice guitars and a tambourine too. View attachment 78755

Great recommendation, Sushant!
Wilkerson made 3 albums for Blue Note; the other two are Elder Don and Shoutin’. All three feature some swinging Grant Green :)

For some reason, I’m totally entranced by the sound of guitar and vibes in harmony. It’s a sound you’ll hear almost exclusively in jazz, and rarely elsewhere.
Below are four guitar and vibes dates that make a perfect soundtrack for a rain soaked afternoon, or a late night chillout.

View attachment 78756
Classic blue note and that CTI that you posted many moons ago. Cocktails was it? Great stuff. Will need to check out Isoo Fukui.

Last edited:
Love that record. Speaking of Cedar Walton, his albums with Eastern Rebellion are great. I keep returning to the first one in the series quite often. Billy Higgins joins him on this record too.

View attachment 78751
Wow @acemachine26 ..thanks for posting this. Why do the later albums also have the same cover art? Quite intriguing that they are titled 2, 3 and 4. Must check them out.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back