All That Jazz ...

Continuing with the Gerry Mulligan vibe ...

61QNrfXjTRL._SX466_.jpg

I once read or ( saw on YouTube , my memory doesn’t serve me right ) that Mulligan chased Ornette Coleman off a stage for playing like he did :).
It is here . But alas not as dramatic as I made it out to be.

CHARLIE HADEN: I heard Ornette play the first time at a club called the Hague. I was on a night off. I was playing at the Hillcrest with Paul Bley, and Carla Bley was his wife. That’s how I met Carla. And I went to the Hague. Gerry Mulligan was playing there with his band, and this guy comes up to the stage and asks to sit in. They tell him to come up, and he got his alto. It was a plastic — white plastic alto saxophone. And he starts to play, and the whole room lit up for me. It was so brilliant. And as soon as he started to play, they asked him to stop. So he put the horn back in the case and started out the back door.

Visceral sax work ....and the bass and drums too are far out ... Albert Ayler ( saxophone ) , Gary Peacock ( Bass ) Sunny Murray ( drums )

RIP Wallace Roney
Wallace Roney succumbed to the corona virus in hospital two days ago at 59
A product of the Duke Ellington school of music, he had an eventful career playing for Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers, with the famed Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter besides over 30 albums He was voted best young jazz musician and best trumpeter to watch
Wallace was the only trumpet player whom Miles mentored until his passing

Enjoy this whole concert which became a Grammy winning album with him playing along with the greats

Courtesy: Pune Jazz and Blues Club

Legendary guitarist Bucky Pizarelli died of the dreaded corona virus at 94 a couple of days ago
His career extended from the late 40s across swing bands He played with every leading vocalist and band leader including the other legend Les Paul
His siblings also became professionally renowned musicians
Here he plays with his son John during the Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony

Courtesy: Pune Jazz & Blues Club

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back