All That Jazz ...

Hey was talking with a FM who likes expensive watches. Now I found one that looked so beautiful but won’t buy (obviously). But this interlude flashed on to my head! (From Cumbia and Jazz fusion)

Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis.
Fantastic Jazz performance at the amazing Elbphilharmonie Hamburg

Tyner playing Coltrane’s Moment’s Notice
Coltrane here ..
sounds uncannily like the opening refrain of this popular hindi song , by Laksmikanth Pyarelal and not RD..

Have been listening to a fair amount of jazz funk lately.

Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Funky Stuff

R-4995856-1407788614-2778.jpg

This Corona Virus has given me well deserved time at home to listen to some music i hadn't in a while -

R-5552414-1498159598-6311.jpeg.jpg

I am starting my corona weekend too. Aphex twin went to Debussy (Gieseking) and then decided it’s going to be a jazz fest for now. Started with Desmond Mullgan.

I closed off last night with female vocals. Madeleine Peyeoux’s lovely “Secular Hymns”

Now starting with Mail Waldron’s The Quest. Accessible avant garde. Has Booker Little and Eric Dolphy and Ron Carter on the cello - eerily beautiful

As the family sits for lunch (how joyously we shall squabble), put on a compilation CD. I bought it for the version of Farmer’s “Five Spot after dark”, but I find this a great Cd all through. Coolest indeed!

1584777226244.jpeg

This is getting good. Playing a lot of my CDs that I bought and did not play due to going to same old.

now the common cd that I haven’t played much - My Funny Valentine complete concert. Including Four and More where we get to hear hot Miles.

this track for my friend who has moved away from Bombay.

Ok so let’s get nuts during Covid times. Sure you must have seen the what’s app post about “energy and gratitude” at 5 pm tomorrow by clapping hands, clanging and all the impressive ancient “science” around it.

Let us be cooler! So perhaps let’s play the classic cool jazz album synchronised from 8.30 pm today - Miles Davis Kind of Blue. (I am saying this as it is a common album, very accessible and possibly in every jazz list of top albums).

If mood permits follow up with Time out (Brubeck) if we can. And shape of jazz to come (Coleman). If last is too extreme, Mingus Ah Um.

Should listen to full albums.

Ok so let’s get nuts during Covid times. Sure you must have seen the what’s app post about “energy and gratitude” at 5 pm tomorrow by clapping hands, clanging and all the impressive ancient “science” around it.

Let us be cooler! So perhaps let’s play the classic cool jazz album synchronised from 8.30 pm today - Miles Davis Kind of Blue. (I am saying this as it is a common album, very accessible and possibly in every jazz list of top albums).

If mood permits follow up with Time out (Brubeck) if we can. And shape of jazz to come (Coleman). If last is too extreme, Mingus Ah Um.

Should listen to full albums.
Vivek,
I am in as long as there is no ancient science around this exercise and we dont have to synchronize the choice of our beverage.

playing Shankar - Song for Everyone - ECM records..

My speakers do Jazz especially well... the trumpets and wind instruments are rendered very well - atleast i am happy everytime i play jazz..

Maybe Bobby Palkovic designed these speakers playing Jazz in the background..or for testing..

sfe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
playing Shankar - Songs for Everyone - ECM records..

My speakers do Jazz especially well... the trumpets and wind instruments are rendered very well - atleast i am happy everytime i play jazz..

Maybe Bobby Palkovic designed these speakers playing Jazz in the background..or for testing..

View attachment 44767
song for everyone is such a great track.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back