All That Jazz ...

Oi Nikki. Fancy this! You're a moderator here. All the more reason you're invited home at the earliest. Since you asked, this is one of my all time favourites. Belonged to my old man. The track "Georgia On My Mind" has been played so often over and over again, that it is the only skiined portion of the record.

Welcome to the forum Rohit! Glad to have you on here.

Got this in my google feed. I'm very very intrigued and look forward to hearing this album:

I generally avoid his trio albums. But this is an amazing lineup with names like Roy Hargrove and Christian McBride as side men. I must listen!

Guess you can judge a book by its (back) cover :)
Also, do check out Fourmost and Fourmost Returns; great live sets with Smith, Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Burrell and Grady Tate.

Very often, I’ll start a listening session with one album, which then triggers the choice of the next album, and the next…
Here’s last night’s domino effect:

EC5092C3-DE51-49CD-A5D8-73733FD16E09.jpeg

The McBride album was a secondhand purchase, so no cover :)

Very often, I’ll start a listening session with one album, which then triggers the choice of the next album, and the next…

View attachment 64879

:) I can see the trail of listening. This is making me want to listen to Hancock's classic Maiden Voyage of which I have the CD. Haven't laid my hands on the vinyl though - caught up in deciding which press is the best.
And then Weather Report's Sporting Life - I love that.

Speaking of Corea, here's a lively and frenetic number. The drum is very impressive and I actually looked up the line up of the album (Friends). Turned out it is Steve Gadd.

Like @coaltrain said, one album leads to another, and one post leads to another.
Sometimes, despite decades of listening to jazz, I stumble upon an artiste that I had not heard before, but turns out he's a legend. This is what happened when I recently heard Grachan Moncur III, an avante-garde trombonist who just, sorry about the cliche, blew my mind.
Listen to this and you'll know what I mean. His sidemen: Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Crenshaw, Anthony Williams. My my!
IMG_20211206_213839.jpg

Like @coaltrain said, one album leads to another, and one post leads to another.
Sometimes, despite decades of listening to jazz, I stumble upon an artiste that I had not heard before, but turns out he's a legend. This is what happened when I recently heard Grachan Moncur III, an avante-garde trombonist who just, sorry about the cliche, blew my mind.
Listen to this and you'll know what I mean. His sidemen: Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Crenshaw, Anthony Williams. My my!
View attachment 64948
Great post, 50/50! Moncur certainly deserves a wider audience.
While you’ve already mentioned his best album (imho), there are a few others where he really shines. Destination Out, in particular, has a similar lineup and is equally adventurous.

6F04288B-5D3A-47C4-A7A6-FB093E72C06F.jpeg

Great post, 50/50! Moncur certainly deserves a wider audience.
While you’ve already mentioned his best album (imho), there are a few others where he really shines. Destination Out, in particular, has a similar lineup and is equally adve
I'm going to give these a very serious listen, thanks. I've heard 'My point of View' but hadn't paid attention to Mancur. I'm also looking forward to listening to some of Mancur's later albums New Africa and Aco Dei de Madrugada. Also Shadows and the more recent Exploration.

Where are you sourcing these albums from, 50/50?
I’m having a tough time finding any GM III CDs.
Or, are you getting these on vinyl?

The Mcbride album was great , thanks. For a moment I was taken aback at David Gilmour turning into a jazz guitarist. Thank God the guitarist is Gilmore and not Gilmour.

Where are you sourcing these albums from, 50/50?
I’m having a tough time finding any GM III CDs.
Or, are you getting these on vinyl?
I generally try to find them on the various streaming services. One or the other service will have them. As a last resort YouTube. If I like the album, I look for the cd or vinyl. Most releases are available on Discogs, if not elsewhere.

The Mcbride album was great , thanks. For a moment I was taken aback at David Gilmour turning into a jazz guitarist. Thank God the guitarist is Gilmore and not Gilmour.
Many moons ago (‘98 or ‘99, perhaps), I was browsing the jazz section at Rhythm House when I overheard two guys examining Trilok Gurtu’s ‘Bad Habits Die Hard’.
“Dude, David Gilmour is on this album!”
”Really? From Pink Floyd?”
”Yeah, man! We have to check this out!”
I stepped in to explain it was ‘more’ and not ‘mour’, and that they should still buy the album as it was awesome. We got to chatting and it turned out we worked for the same advertising agency, but in different cities!
Wonder if they liked the album :)

Most releases are available on Discogs
For some reason, I’ve got this paranoia about buying secondhand online. Prefer an actual store like Rainbow Music in NYC or Amoeba in SFO.
Unfortunately, the former has shut shop and the latter is some distance away. Curse you, COVID!

Back