All That Jazz ...

I don’t understand jazz nor have much appreciation for it. But still this is my most favourite thread in this forum. I always read all the posts, most of which I have no knowledge of. But the manner in which the members share their views and inputs is exemplary. Other threads will do well to learn a thing or two on how you contribute and help the thread grow. Keep it up guys.

John Handy was a Mingus alumnus. This is a beautifully textured , melodically swinging A Little Quiet , from the live album New View. Bobby Hutcherson on the vibes and Pat Marino on the guitar contribute towards creating an incredibly listener friendly soundscape. This is followed by Tears Of Ole Miss , a story telling opus , that engages the listener for the entire duration of its 30 minute plus playing time.

There are about 12 or 13 episodes in this series that I have downloaded. Could find only seven on YouTube. Enjoy nonetheless
This looks like a 'must watch'. As interesting as the music is the historical/social setting, the stories behind the compositions and the many transitions they went through, their presentations by different artistes, the lives of the performers and so on. Each such movie or documentary has enhanced my appreciation and love for jazz. The sensitively narrated 'Bird' by Clint Eastwood was, for me, a touching introduction to the world of jazz musicians. Forest Whitaker as Charlie Parker is brilliant.

Thanks for posting @finevine

I don’t understand jazz nor have much appreciation for it. But still this is my most favourite thread in this forum. I always read all the posts, most of which I have no knowledge of. But the manner in which the members share their views and inputs is exemplary. Other threads will do well to learn a thing or two on how you contribute and help the thread grow. Keep it up guys.
Is there a similar thread on Bollywood music?. FMs can provide interesting information about the song, movie, circumstances of composition and recording, arrangers, sound engineering and artistes which is sadly missing in the record liner notes.

I watched a very interesting documentary on the great arranger Anthony Gonsalves - a great insight into the key people behind the music that is otherwise credited only to the music director and singer.

Is there a similar thread on Bollywood music?. FMs can provide interesting information about the song, movie, circumstances of composition and recording, arrangers, sound engineering and artistes which is sadly missing in the record liner notes.

I watched a very interesting documentary on the great arranger Anthony Gonsalves - a great insight into the key people behind the music that is otherwise credited only to the music director and singer.
https://tajmahalfoxtrot.scrollstack.com/

Jazz in Bollywood is an intricate part of its compositions. You can get lost in Naresh Fernandes' writings.

I have not seen any thread like this on Bollywood music.
Bollywood music from the 50s and 60s can easily fit into this thread!
‘Ek ladki bhigi bhagi si’, for example :)
edit: oh, and forgot ‘hum the woh thi!’

Last edited:
This looks like a 'must watch'. As interesting as the music is the historical/social setting, the stories behind the compositions and the many transitions they went through, their presentations by different artistes, the lives of the performers and so on. Each such movie or documentary has enhanced my appreciation and love for jazz. The sensitively narrated 'Bird' by Clint Eastwood was, for me, a touching introduction to the world of jazz musicians. Forest Whitaker as Charlie Parker is brilliant.

Thanks for posting @finevine

Saw it! Eastwood and Woody Allen have used jazz extensively in all their movies. Clint has also played piano in some scenes of his own productions. Woody Allen never attended Oscar nights except in 2002 because he'd be jamming with his jazz band

Like all great players, Ernest Ranglin has a guitar sound that’s instantly recognizable. The music below is not exactly straight ahead jazz; it’s been called jazz reggae by some.
Whatever the nomenclature, this is soul satisfying stuff.

0E86C74C-BED7-4D12-ABAA-9FDC73CB40CF.jpeg

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back