All That Jazz ...

John Handy was a Mingus alumnus. This is a beautifully textured , melodically swinging A Little Quiet , from the live album New View. Bobby Hutcherson on the vibes and Pat Marino on the guitar contribute towards creating an incredibly listener friendly soundscape. This is followed by Tears Of Ole Miss , a story telling opus , that engages the listener for the entire duration of its 30 minute plus playing time.

I really enjoyed this collaboration with Ali Akbar Khan , Zakir Hussain etc. The stand out track is 'Karuna Supreme'

Hello hello. It’s that kind of Sunday. Thought I’ll just pop in to say hi to everyone and wish you all a very satisfying year ahead.

About a year ago, on Christmas Day in Olaulim, my friend M pressed into my hands a thin book of poems saying she knows I will like it. And, through her, I discovered the bright and glowing words of Mary Oliver. Through the months that followed, I dipped into that book often, going back for second, third and more helpings. Now that another Christmas has passed and a new year is upon us, I’d like to share one of these poems as a gift to all you purveyors of music and other fine things. It’s called

Song of the Builders

On a summer morning
I sat down
on a hillside
to think about God —

a worthy pastime.
Near me, I saw
a single cricket;
it was moving the grains of the hillside

this way and that way.
How great was its energy,
how humble its effort.
Let us hope

it will always be like this,
each of us going on
in our inexplicable ways
building the universe.

Respectful pause.

Talking about hillsides, there’s a 10-minute beauty called Clarendon Hills from Johnny Mac’s Montreux Concerts (Warner Music, 2004). It’s the often-dismissed Mahavishnu incarnation from 1984 but so what? There’s Bill Evans (not that Bill Evans), Jonas Hellborg and Danny Gottlieb in fine form, someone else whose name I’ve forgotten, and JM himself reeling out long melodic lines that snake up and down the hillside like hiking trails for the mind. He’s playing a guitar synth that may turn off some of the purists here (looking at you, Sushant) but, I don’t know, just switch it on and go make a coffee or something while it plays in the background… reflect on industrious crickets perhaps… and it may sneak up and fill you, as it did me, with something that feels like life-affirming purpose.

Or not. And that’s cool too.

Here’s to another year of pushing grains up and down our own personal hillsides. And, hopefully, I can find the initiative to push them a little more frequently on this thread. Cheers, gentlemen.

— Orko the Irregular

Happy new year, folks. Wishing all of you a healthy 2022 :)
I had hoped to begin the year on a happy note, by posting a jazz calendar a good friend had shared with me. Unfortunately, the site says the pdf file is too large (3.5 mb)
Is there any way the moderators could post it? I could WhatsApp the file, if required.
Optionally, I could post the jpegs for you guys. Do let me know.

F678325A-708C-4986-BDC3-89F37C031B38.jpgE595CB9F-3A89-4175-9E58-B8AB5989D01E.jpg

Hello hello. It’s that kind of Sunday. Thought I’ll just pop in to say hi to everyone and wish you all a very satisfying year ahead.

About a year ago, on Christmas Day in Olaulim, my friend M pressed into my hands a thin book of poems saying she knows I will like it. And, through her, I discovered the bright and glowing words of Mary Oliver. Through the months that followed, I dipped into that book often, going back for second, third and more helpings. Now that another Christmas has passed and a new year is upon us, I’d like to share one of these poems as a gift to all you purveyors of music and other fine things. It’s called

Song of the Builders

On a summer morning
I sat down
on a hillside
to think about God —

a worthy pastime.
Near me, I saw
a single cricket;
it was moving the grains of the hillside

this way and that way.
How great was its energy,
how humble its effort.
Let us hope

it will always be like this,
each of us going on
in our inexplicable ways
building the universe.

Respectful pause.

Talking about hillsides, there’s a 10-minute beauty called Clarendon Hills from Johnny Mac’s Montreux Concerts (Warner Music, 2004). It’s the often-dismissed Mahavishnu incarnation from 1984 but so what? There’s Bill Evans (not that Bill Evans), Jonas Hellborg and Danny Gottlieb in fine form, someone else whose name I’ve forgotten, and JM himself reeling out long melodic lines that snake up and down the hillside like hiking trails for the mind. He’s playing a guitar synth that may turn off some of the purists here (looking at you, Sushant) but, I don’t know, just switch it on and go make a coffee or something while it plays in the background… reflect on industrious crickets perhaps… and it may sneak up and fill you, as it did me, with something that feels like life-affirming purpose.

Or not. And that’s cool too.

Here’s to another year of pushing grains up and down our own personal hillsides. And, hopefully, I can find the initiative to push them a little more frequently on this thread. Cheers, gentlemen.

— Orko the Irregular
Hi Orko, good to have you reappear and what a lovely write up and poem. Enjoyed reading it. 'Purist', not at all..haha. Been listening to more of a certain style and time period of jazz at the moment. Will bring out the couple of Shakti albums I have and also check the recommendation. Thank you.

I had hoped to begin the year on a happy note, by posting a jazz calendar a good friend had shared with me. Unfortunately, the site says the pdf file is too large (3.5 mb)
Is there any way the moderators could post it? I could WhatsApp the file, if required.
Optionally, I could post the jpegs for you guys. Do let me know.

View attachment 65820View attachment 65821
Looks really nice. I would like to have it. Will wait and see if you can post it here.

Happy happies, Coaltrain. The calendar looks amazing - you could use Wetransfer and post the link here, perhaps?

'Purist', not at all..haha. Been listening to more of a certain style and time period of jazz at the moment.

I know, I know - I just remembered that conversation on Metheny, and since he uses a synclavier too and Gottlieb is a PMG alumni, I freewheeled from there… don‘t pay too much heed to the nonsense I come here to write :)

The ‘70s albums of The Crusaders are a sonic gumbo of Jazz, R&B, Soul and Funk, with tasty dollops of Larry Carlton adding extra flavour.
Picked up this set from Amazon India, where you’ll also find 5 album sets from Herbie Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter and more. Worth checking out.

F353CDD4-CEFE-4B83-9EC2-2FAD626F199C.jpeg

The ‘70s albums of The Crusaders are a sonic gumbo of Jazz, R&B, Soul and Funk, with tasty dollops of Larry Carlton adding extra flavour.
Picked up this set from Amazon India, where you’ll also find 5 album sets from Herbie Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter and more. Worth checking out.

View attachment 65953

The Crusaders are my often repeated goto spins for dance worthy jazz funk! Being too lazy to pull them outta my cupboard right now, these are the ones I have :)
709DED23-537E-41A7-804A-FC283461F50E.jpeg

Nice relaxed evening listening to this right now.

48e9a005-bc9b-409a-ac40-2aa211941123.48ade7ba09ddac467eee5e546cf57ec6.jpeg

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back