All That Jazz ...

You really need to get this @Jayant_S
Got it today, listening right now, and I have to say it’s one of their best. Definitely a greater percentage of jazz, especially in the horns. Pretty sure it’ll rock your boat :)

Ps: I think it’s a double album on vinyl.

Nice relaxed evening listening to this right now.

48e9a005-bc9b-409a-ac40-2aa211941123.48ade7ba09ddac467eee5e546cf57ec6.jpeg

A mellow album from McBride? That’s a first :)
I need to check this out, along with Inside Straight.

I came across this most insightful piece of advice from the very wise Joseph Campbell: “When you find a writer who really is saying something to you, read everything that writer has written and you will get more education and depth of understanding out of that than reading a scrap here and a scrap there and elsewhere. Then go to people who influenced that writer, or those who were related to him, and your world builds together in an organic way that is really marvellous.”

He’s talking about writing but of course it applies equally to everything — art, philosophy, politics, friendship or jazz. And to that end, over the last few days, I’ve been doing a deep dive into Clifford Brown, listening to everything I can find, from the superb albums with Max Roach to his incandescent playing during other people’s sessions.

While listening to On Basin Street (EmArcy, 1956), I heard the track, Gertrude’s Bounce, and discovered that Richie Powell (what a great talent he was) wrote the tune based on how this artist called Gertrude Abercrombie walked “just like the way the rhythm sounds in the introduction." How she walked. Hmm. So I looked her up — she was quite something, running a salon in Chicago not unlike the legendary one her namesake, Gertrude Stein hosted in Paris. Dizzy Gillespie played at one of her weddings, James Purdy wrote a story about her, she went around wearing a witch’s hat — what a character! This is her with Sonny Rollins:

abercrombie_16_LR.jpeg

Then I went through her art — it wasn’t what I’d imagined, filled as they were with strange and desolate images. Here’s one for your viewing pleasure:

7c506e579f04.jpeg

And then I tried walking like the introduction to Gertrude's Bounce… to really get into the spirit of things, you understand… and even conscripted my wife into the cause to see if a woman would look any less ridiculous doing so… but no, it really is an absurd way to saunter, impossible to pull off without bringing the arms into play, and requiring a little bit of high-stepping and a whole lot of grinning. Which, come to think of it, is actually a pretty good way to carry oneself through lockdowns.

Bounce like Gertrude, people.

—Orko

Charlie Parker wrote it for Dizzy's Agent's secretary. Young Miles does trumpet duty.

Yes, not Holiday. Am briefly aware of Billy Holiday's tumultous life but doesn't she look like a goddess of elegance and calm in most photos you see of her.

Renita, I read was his daughter. Also while on the subject of Clifford Brown, this album has a beautiful cover of Benny Golson's, 'i remember Clifford' almost as good as Blue Mitchell's.

Charlie Parker wrote it for Dizzy's Agent's secretary. Young Miles does trumpet duty.

Yes, not Holiday. Am briefly aware of Billy Holiday's tumultous life but doesn't she look like a goddess of elegance and calm in most photos you see of her.

Renita, I read was his daughter. Also while on the subject of Clifford Brown, this album has a beautiful cover of Benny Golson's, 'i remember Clifford' almost as good as Blue Mitchell's.

Oh. I had no idea that there were other, uh, bouncers. Let me try these other walks and report back.

I came across this most insightful piece of advice from the very wise Joseph Campbell: “When you find a writer who really is saying something to you, read everything that writer has written and you will get more education and depth of understanding out of that than reading a scrap here and a scrap there and elsewhere. Then go to people who influenced that writer, or those who were related to him, and your world builds together in an organic way that is really marvellous.”

He’s talking about writing but of course it applies equally to everything — art, philosophy, politics, friendship or jazz. And to that end, over the last few days, I’ve been doing a deep dive into Clifford Brown, listening to everything I can find, from the superb albums with Max Roach to his incandescent playing during other people’s sessions.

While listening to On Basin Street (EmArcy, 1956), I heard the track, Gertrude’s Bounce, and discovered that Richie Powell (what a great talent he was) wrote the tune based on how this artist called Gertrude Abercrombie walked “just like the way the rhythm sounds in the introduction." How she walked. Hmm. So I looked her up — she was quite something, running a salon in Chicago not unlike the legendary one her namesake, Gertrude Stein hosted in Paris. Dizzy Gillespie played at one of her weddings, James Purdy wrote a story about her, she went around wearing a witch’s hat — what a character! This is her with Sonny Rollins:

View attachment 66160

Then I went through her art — it wasn’t what I’d imagined, filled as they were with strange and desolate images. Here’s one for your viewing pleasure:

View attachment 66161

And then I tried walking like the introduction to Gertrude's Bounce… to really get into the spirit of things, you understand… and even conscripted my wife into the cause to see if a woman would look any less ridiculous doing so… but no, it really is an absurd way to saunter, impossible to pull off without bringing the arms into play, and requiring a little bit of high-stepping and a whole lot of grinning. Which, come to think of it, is actually a pretty good way to carry oneself through lockdowns.

Bounce like Gertrude, people.

—Orko
What a lovely write-up @Orko !

What a lovely write-up @Orko !

Thank you, you're very kind.

(You know, if we ever have a physical meet-up with all the folks on this thread, don't bother introducing yourselves with your real names because unless you're Benedict Cumberbatch, there's no way your real names will be as interesting as your chosen monikers. So I'm going to continue calling you by your forum names — Mr. Fiftyfifty, Mr. Coaltrane, and so on. I have spoken.)

I got on the Cole train (groan!) with Giant Steps, and his Atlantic albums are still my favourites - a good balance between the ‘sheets of sound’ of his Prestige period, and the fire-breathing pyrotechnics on the Impulse sessions.
Giant Steps, Coltrane’s Sound, Coltrane Plays The Blues and Ole Coltrane are the standouts for me.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back