All That Jazz ...

WOW ditto here for sure.
I used to think that I am through with enough guitar pyrotechnics in this life at least , but sadly it seems that its never enough. I hope Al as the curator of the album gives enough space to Paco , since his effortless parts are just a wee bit standouts for me in the the melee of triple guitar solos on the friday version.

Sorry, this is not strictly jazz, strictly not jazz, not jazz strictly, strictly - not jazz. But I thought many of you may also be Tull fans. This one, released just a couple of days ago, the first Tull album in 22 years, sounds as good as Tull ever was. Available on Tidal, etc., but only partially on Qobuz. CD on Amazon
IMG_20220128_094424.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-28-09-32-42-579_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-28-09-32-42-579_com.android.chrome.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 6
@coaltrain you don't need to justify by bringing up The Crusaders, etc. What exactly were you searching for on YouTube??? ;)

On a serious note - I enjoyed this, a good energetic band!
LMAO!
What can I say, 50/50! Perhaps, I have a bad case of yellow fever? :)
Btw, Ian looks mighty p***** off on the cover! Reminds me of Ben Kingsley’s character in Sexy Beast :)

@himadri
I’ve always enjoyed the three duo numbers on Friday Night the most. And despite hearing it for the last 30+ years, I still get a chill down my spine (in a good way!) when they break into the Pink Panther theme :)

Sorry, this is not strictly jazz, strictly not jazz, not jazz strictly, strictly - not jazz. But I thought many of you may also be Tull fans. This one, released just a couple of days ago, the first Tull album in 22 years, sounds as good as Tull ever was. Available on Tidal, etc., but only partially on Qobuz. CD on Amazon
View attachment 66668
I hate to say this but at the risk of incurring the wrath of JT fans, the new album sounds too much like a mixing and rehashing of the old classic Tull numbers to me! May not be a bad thing, though...

evolp33__49977.1629432658.jpg

This is what happened when I recently heard Grachan Moncur III
Moncur certainly deserves a wider audience.
I've been meaning to post about Grachan Moncur and then your posts got me thinking - how often do I listen to and buy albums for the sideman(men) or the rhythm section? I went back to my cupboard and pulled out a few records to spin this weekend that definitely are in here for the sidemen:
5D0B49E0-9C8B-4129-8B12-DEC229EA76A2.jpeg
Not my favorite Wayne Shorter album, but I love everytime Grachan Moncur comes in and restores a sense of calm and balance to the frenetic soloing.

A5845E5C-7D89-449D-9BEA-DA9E7F54E95C.jpeg

Probably the first album where Jackie McLean started leaning towards post bop and free jazz. However this album is all about the 2 brilliant Grachan compositions for me "Frankenstein" and "Blue Rondo" thanks for the post @coaltrain !

CA2A9060-01C6-46B4-8233-D2A813E66C47.jpeg

By virtue of proximity in the cupboard, this came out next :) One of McLean's most accessible albums, bought for Blue Mitchell.

A3E6CAA5-3FFA-4C99-8F6D-CBF90A16B7C5.jpeg

Another really popular album, especially with the new, lush Tone Poet treatment. I was sold on Ike Quebec's unique soulful sound.

103BB620-F593-43DB-8969-A6B250024257.jpeg

Rounding off with a young Freddie Hubbard's debut as band leader. This set rests firmly on the shoulders of Tina Brooks though - do check out his compositions "Gypsy Blue" and the title track. Tina Brooks, another lesser heard brilliant sax player/composer deserving a wider audience.

Great post, Jayant!
As usual, when I see one of you guys mentioning a certain artiste, it reminds me of stuff I haven’t heard in a while. In this case, Tina Brooks! One number TB session coming up :)

Btw, to your point on sidemen, am attaching a pdf of my Blue Notes cross-referenced with albums that each guy appears on. (It’s here somewhere on this thread, but who knows where!) I find it quite handy when I want to listen to more of a particular musician. Oh, and if I’ve missed some connections, please let me know.

Attachments

• BlueNote(1).pdf
    180 KB · Views: 11
Great post, Jayant!
As usual, when I see one of you guys mentioning a certain artiste, it reminds me of stuff I haven’t heard in a while. In this case, Tina Brooks! One number TB session coming up :)

Btw, to your point on sidemen, am attaching a pdf of my Blue Notes cross-referenced with albums that each guy appears on. (It’s here somewhere on this thread, but who knows where!) I find it quite handy when I want to listen to more of a particular musician. Oh, and if I’ve missed some connections, please let me know.
I've been looking for this pdf too! I knew you had posted it sometime but I couldn't hunt it down either :)
A very handy ready reckoner to track down a fav artist - thanks!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back