All That Jazz ...

I've never heard of the Brazilian guitarist Baden Powell until a few days ago. Here's Apelo from the 1966 album Tempo Feliz. The recordings is "old-fashioned" in that the guitar is panned hard left and the percussion and bass are on the right channel.

More info from allmusic database.

@Sushant Sharma and @jls001 I owe you both a big thank you. Posted on a few groups and it's only fair I post my story here.

412A5545-8115-4D66-9D0A-806F9DBBDD19.jpeg

Oh glorious day! My hands are shaking, I can barely contain my excitement as I play this record. Mercifully I haven’t scratched or dropped it on the short trip from inner sleeve to turntable. Please bear with my long story of this album.

In 2004, my job took me on a 3 month project with Yamaha in Hamamatsu, Japan. Back then all my music was on cassettes and a handful of CDs. I didn't have a turntable and had no idea about pressings, Japanese or otherwise. The only Obi I knew was a Jedi Knight. Yes, I returned home after 3 months in Japan without buying a single record.
In the last week of the project, my Japanese colleague invited me to his home for a meal and pulled out a few jazz records to play.
I was spellbound by a brilliant trombonist/composer called Hiroshi Suzuki and made my host play that record several times that evening. Seeing how taken I was by the album, he offered to gift me one of the 2 copies he owned (both immaculate first pressings). In my monumental stupidity, I said "No thank you, Sato-San. I'll go home and buy the cassette or CD in Bangalore. I'm sure I'll find it in Planet M or Music World"...obviously that didn't pan out.
Years later when I bought my first TT and started buying records, I realized what a rare gem I had passed up. OGs were selling at 100 USD or more in 2008 and right now they go for a pot of gold, if you can find one for sale.
A few days ago, Joshua posted a link to one of the songs in this album on another forum and it brought memories flooding back - thanks Joshua! Then Sushant said it has been reissued recently by a Swiss label called "We release Jazz". I dropped everything I was doing and bought the reissue right away.
After an 18 year delay, I finally have Cat by Hiroshi Suzuki in my hands. I don't regret it's not an OG gifted by Sato-San, that wasn't meant to be.
The reissue is no slouch either. A thick no-nonsense polylined paper inner sleeve and astonishing SQ with the half speed mastering.
If you like jazz in any form, you absolutely must listen to and buy this record. In my mind, it's one of those nailed down must own albums. Grab the reissue while it's still affordable - don't make the 18 year long mistake I did!

@Sushant Sharma and @jls001 I owe you both a big thank you. Posted on a few groups and it's only fair I post my story here.

View attachment 67467

Oh glorious day! My hands are shaking, I can barely contain my excitement as I play this record. Mercifully I haven’t scratched or dropped it on the short trip from inner sleeve to turntable. Please bear with my long story of this album.

In 2004, my job took me on a 3 month project with Yamaha in Hamamatsu, Japan. Back then all my music was on cassettes and a handful of CDs. I didn't have a turntable and had no idea about pressings, Japanese or otherwise. The only Obi I knew was a Jedi Knight. Yes, I returned home after 3 months in Japan without buying a single record.
In the last week of the project, my Japanese colleague invited me to his home for a meal and pulled out a few jazz records to play.
I was spellbound by a brilliant trombonist/composer called Hiroshi Suzuki and made my host play that record several times that evening. Seeing how taken I was by the album, he offered to gift me one of the 2 copies he owned (both immaculate first pressings). In my monumental stupidity, I said "No thank you, Sato-San. I'll go home and buy the cassette or CD in Bangalore. I'm sure I'll find it in Planet M or Music World"...obviously that didn't pan out.
Years later when I bought my first TT and started buying records, I realized what a rare gem I had passed up. OGs were selling at 100 USD or more in 2008 and right now they go for a pot of gold, if you can find one for sale.
A few days ago, Joshua posted a link to one of the songs in this album on another forum and it brought memories flooding back - thanks Joshua! Then Sushant said it has been reissued recently by a Swiss label called "We release Jazz". I dropped everything I was doing and bought the reissue right away.
After an 18 year delay, I finally have Cat by Hiroshi Suzuki in my hands. I don't regret it's not an OG gifted by Sato-San, that wasn't meant to be.
The reissue is no slouch either. A thick no-nonsense polylined paper inner sleeve and astonishing SQ with the half speed mastering.
If you like jazz in any form, you absolutely must listen to and buy this record. In my mind, it's one of those nailed down must own albums. Grab the reissue while it's still affordable - don't make the 18 year long mistake I did!
Jayant..oh man. What a story. Appreciate you sharing it.
I just ordered the album a minute ago and though the album was on my radar only for a few months now but this was the final push. Thanks to you, Joshua and Sato San.

Jayant..oh man. What a story. Appreciate you sharing it.
I just ordered the album a minute ago and though the album was on my radar only for a few months now but this was the final push. Thanks to you, Joshua and Sato San.
There are some albums that feed your soul - this one just did the feeding for me :)
Glad you picked up a copy before they run out - the reissue is a perfect pressing

View attachment 67467

I normally don't post in this thread because I am not a Jazz fan but upon reading that an 18 year old desire was fulfilled I felt a surge of happiness for you. Feeding such an old desire is rare,delicate and above all absolutely a wonder of unexpected joy beyond words. I know.

Enjoy the moment! Thank you for that story, though I may not be a Jazz lover, I am a music lover and know all too well the emotion of having a very old desire fulfilled decades later.

The day is yours my friend! :)

I normally don't post in this thread because I am not a Jazz fan but upon reading that an 18 year old desire was fulfilled I felt a surge of happiness for you. Feeding such an old desire is rare,delicate and above all absolutely a wonder of unexpected joy beyond words. I know.

Enjoy the moment! Thank you for that story, though I may not be a Jazz lover, I am a music lover and know all too well the emotion of having a very old desire fulfilled decades later.

The day is yours my friend! :)
Thanks! This feeling is rare, but when it does happen, there are no words to describe the elation :)

View attachment 67467

Nice story Jayant. Following your reco, heard the album this afternoon - great find, superb. Looked him up and stumbled on a set of live concerts from the 70s "Sensational Jazz '70 Vol 0, 1, 2". It has a lot of Japanese biggies and Hiroshi is on vol.2 (Mira). Loved it.

The albums are on Apple music.

Last edited:
Nice story Jayant. Following your reco, heard the album this afternoon - great find, superb. Looked him up and stumbled on a set of live concerts from the 70s "Sensational Jazz '70 Vol 0, 1, 2". It has a lot of Japanese biggies and Hiroshi is on vol.2 (Mira). Loved it.

The albums are on Apple music.

There's a whole world of high quality Japanese jazz to be discovered. The Three Blind Mice label is a great place to start

There's a whole world of high quality Japanese jazz to be discovered. The Three Blind Mice label is a great place to start
Thanks to Hiroshi Suzuki, I have discovered Minoru Muraoka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoru_Muraoka. Right now am listing to him. Just few days back I heard his Bamboo (1970). Loved it. It is different. His primary instrument is the Japanese shakuhachi. Looks like there is an entire country to be discovered

1645727290201.png

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back