All That Jazz ...

There are a few jazz fans on the forum whom I have had the pleasure of meeting over the years. I have met a few forum members with outstanding music in this genre - be it 60's classics or modern European jazz. Jazz and audio seems to go hand in hand with even casual audio enthusiasts having a couple of albums in their collection. It would be nice if some of you could share your recommendations for jazz music.

Let's hope we can get a nice collection of Jazz recommendations on here.

** For those checking in late here is the Youtube playlist of all the music shared on this thread:
** https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKW91nNDh0sifjlwBq60T5X3BmOn2-EYu

Regards.

Hi Nikhil,
Listen to a lot of Jazz music, shud check out , Patricia Barber, Aziza Mustafa Zadeh, Hiromi Uhera,, Joey Alexander
to list a few and ofcourse the likes of Allan holdsworth, Gong, Softmachine , Gary Husband etc.

Some Christmas Jazz ...

513y7HjREbL.jpg

Nice one Nikhil. Also listen to A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Gueraldi Trio in case you haven't already. Lovely stuff!

Nice one Nikhil. Also listen to A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Gueraldi Trio in case you haven't already. Lovely stuff!

I heard/read reference to Vince Guaraldi for the second time today. Need to check him out.

Posting in my limited capacity of lower ranks of music lovers and being illiterate on technical terms of music.....
Swinging Jazz I guess is not well respected. Just like 'Thumaris' in Indian Classical they are popular and easily likeable. (Probably being popular in masses gave them kind of lower echelons standing)
Here are couple of Dhango Reinhardt pieces.
surprising to know that he played with two fingers.
Hope you like them. Need to get these in Vinyls :)

I have only recently gotten into Jazz and I am liking the journey so far. Grappling and slowly understanding concepts like Atonality, Modal as compared to tonal, improvisations that go to outer space and back...I think listening for so long to music where melody or catchy riffs are an apparent factor , it sometimes becomes challenging to appreciate a free flowing musical form and the Joys are not immediate. However i am liking the challenging myself part and learning some music theory along the way. It is rewarding and easy on certain days.
However listening to avant garde or free jazz and I am very inquisitive and gravitate to it too but sometimes i feel it can be more of an intellectual pursuit
Also the journey is also gradual I think. Some cool jazz seems easy for me to understand now where as initially it wasn't so. Also there is memory and association involved and certain tunes by way of repitition have been etched into my system now. Eric Dolphy"s out to lunch or Coltrane's Giant steps aren't things I was tapping my foot to and feeling on the first few listens and still am probably trying to fully enjoy. Please do not treat this post from the perspective of getting into a type of music where your heart"s not. :)

Would you guys share your jazz journey and why you love jazz music besides one or two of the more apparent reasons I mentioned? Was it present in your house hold through a elder sibling or Father or you discovered it later.
My apologies if it feels like a poll or a feedback questionnaire and I am hoping this is the right sub forum but I am just trying to start a conversation that hopefully other members might enjoy too. Thanks

Great post @Sushant Sharma!

We all have our own stories about how we got into jazz I'm sure but definitely for me it was after I got into audio. I just found a lot of serious audio buffs listening to jazz on their systems. It took me a while to get a feel for it but eventually I did pick and find some of my favourites. On the other side was also a growing disenchantment with mainstream music which I used to listen to. There was a time when I just could not enjoy what was popular and that led me to explore different genres of music.

While my main choice of jazz remains to be 60s jazz I've also learnt to appreciate recent European and 70s Japanese jazz. Lot's of piano and upright bass in my collection as I prefer the sound of those instruments. Generally the bands I listen to are simple trios or quartets.

Regards.

One fine Sunday evening, on the threshold of turning 28, the head still foggy with remnants from previous day’s head banging match at the local pub with the fellow black t shirt wearers, armed with a handful of well-chosen rock cds ( ranging from Iron maiden to Deep purple ), I knocked on the door of a wise elderly audiophile’s home to check out his system and also demonstrate how rock should be able bring out the best in his system. He will surely not know what was going to hit him. How dare he tell me on the phone that all his rock cds are gathering dust ! ?

Long story short, I did not know what hit me. Sucker punched by Miles Davis ( Kind of blue to be very precise ), I walked out of that man’s den bewildered and star struck. I lost no time. Within six months, my coffin box sansui speakers were sold. The bewildered head banger girlfriends also disappeared shortly. A brand new Wharfedale speaker and Nad amp took their place.. Thus started the never ending and blazingly beautiful journey into the world of Jazz..

Prior to this, jazz was the occasional Billy holiday, Nina simone or Duke Ellington you heard at your uncle’s place on very low fidelity gear. Or saxophone by some guy called ---------- G. To bring out the beauty of jazz, I think you need reasonably good fidelity gear. That is when it hits you. Strikingly clear, breath-taking and beautiful.

Jazz now forms about 70 percent of my listening. I still listen to rock and some classical as well. But have become very choosy.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back